mtbr member
    Oct 2012

BB30 creaking after 3rd ride on brand new Stumpy FSR

Got my 2012 Stumpy FSR Elite last week and have been loving it. However the bottom bracket suddenly started creaking like my wood floors, and it's only the third ride. Will taking it apart to grease it help at all, or this just a flaw in the BB30 design?

mtbr member
    Adjust the preload, common with bb30's after a few rides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Sorry, but is this really worth to open a new thread

Best regards
    Marcus

Waiting for peace
    Quote Originally Posted by polar8 View Post
    Got my 2012 Stumpy FSR Elite last week and have been loving it. However the bottom bracket suddenly started creaking like my wood floors, and it's only the third ride. Will taking it apart to grease it help at all, or this just a flaw in the BB30 design?
    Whatever you do do NOT grease it!!! The cups require epoxy glue to hold them in place.... your shop may not be aware, but there is an new directive from Morgan Hill Engineers to glue the cups into the frame to keep them from creaking using high quality two-part epoxy....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    My started clicking on the right side about the third ride as well. Took the crank out , regreased. Didnt take the cup out though. Noise came back in 2 ride or so

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialWarr View Post
    Whatever you do do NOT grease it!!! The cups require epoxy glue to hold them in place.... your shop may not be aware, but there is an new directive from Morgan Hill Engineers to glue the cups into the frame to keep them from creaking using high quality two-part epoxy....
    You're kidding right?

mtbr member
    Good thread Mines been clicking for the last 9 months so if its just the cups to frame then its not mechanical but more of a noise annoyance and nothing to worry about. ? how the hell they going to remove them after they have been epoxied in?
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

Waiting for peace
    Nope... I just got the notice this morning that everyone is supposed to be installing them with epoxy before they hit the floor for 2013 and whatever stock of 2012 is left..that's what I understand is the case.

Waiting for peace
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post
    Good thread Mines been clicking for the last 9 months so if its just the cups to frame then its not mechanical but more of a noise annoyance and nothing to worry about. ? how the hell they going to remove them after they have been epoxied in?
    That was my question that I passed on to my manager.... he just looked at me for a second and said: "... hmmmm..... good question.."

Waiting for peace
    Hacksaw!

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialWarr View Post
    That was my question that I passed on to my manager.... he just looked at me for a second and said: "... hmmmm..... good question.."
    Acetone I suppose....

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by polar8 View Post
    Just make sure it is not the seat rails. Sounds very similar, with the same cadence.