mtbr member
    Dec 2006

BB size for Stumpy 1x9 conversion

I'd like to replace my stock crankset with some Middleburn cranks on a 06 M4 Stumpy frame. I'm disapointed with the external BB / Stylo Cranks that came on the bike. What size square taper BB would I need to run a single ring with the Middleburn this set-up?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watchmyback
    I'd like to replace my stock crankset with some Middleburn cranks on a 06 M4 Stumpy frame. I'm disapointed with the external BB / Stylo Cranks that came on the bike. What size square taper BB would I need to run a single ring with the Middleburn this set-up?
    I installed a 3 ring XT crankset. I removed the chainrings and stuck on a 32T singlespeed ring.

Sorry, can't help you with the Middleburns. I have heard very mixed results about them. Some say they are quite flexy while others rave about their rigidity. The XT's are much stiffer than the Stylos.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Not a stumpy, but i win an enduro SL with 3 ring XT's with a single 34T and Gamut chain guide. Having previously used stylo's, and bent the non-drive side, i would say go XT. no exp with middleburn though
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.