Professional Sociopath

BB size on 2004 Stumpjumper Pro FSR

I have a 2004 Stumpjumper Pro and the front mech is fouled by the pivot and wanted to check what size BB it should take, it currently has a 113mm on with a band on XTR (fd m970) front mech and XT Hollowtech (M751) Octalink chainset but the chain rubs horribly in the granny ring and lowest two gears because it cannot move far enough away from the granny ring so would this be solved with a 118mm BB?
    Last edited by sic_nick; 02-26-2008 at 08:14 AM.
    Do people think you are strange??

Do you??

....Then you may be on the right track.
    (Rev. J.R. Bob Dodds)

Trying a little
    My stock 04 stumpjumper comp came with a 118 x 68 es-51 BB and deore DR. But I never had proper shifts, I always meant to get a 113 BB or a different DR but never got around to it.
    Try the 118.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

Professional Sociopath
    I got the frame second hand and it had a 68 x 113 BB on which only became an issue when I came to build it up.

Do you??

(Rev. J.R. Bob Dodds)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sic_nick
    I got the frame second hand and it had a 68 x 113 BB on which only became an issue when I came to build it up.
    I just did the same thing this past fall. Built up a 04 stumpjumper FSR expert. basically you need whatever BB spindle length is specified by the crankset you're using. If you look in the specialized archives they call for a 121mm spindle length. I made that mistake and ordered that length which turned out to be too long for the Deore crankset I purchased. stick with the spindle length that the crank set recommends.

Derraileur adjustment took me a while, where is it rubbing? on the sides? Check your limit adjusters and the deraileur hieght on the seat post. I had to move mine up and down a few times before I got it right, even with the template that shimano provides I'm running an XT front der. XTR is a bit overkill for the front for me.

Trying a little
    Sometimes you just haev to grab some pliers and bend the little part of the DR thats rubbing out the way.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

Professional Sociopath
    Quote Originally Posted by was98strat
    If you look in the specialized archives they call for a 121mm spindle length.
    Just seen that in the archive tech spec. but it also says it is a custom crankset with a 50mm chainline too. I have had the limit adjusters all out as far as they would go (within reason) and took a lot of time getting the height right, some XTR mechs sit too far above the rings when you get the mounting high enough to avoid the pivot, especially the articulated front plate versions. I think that 121mm will push the chainline too far outboard and create even more problems but if that is the same one as I need to use a standard Octalink chainset then that must be alright it just seems a bit wide to me.
    Last edited by sic_nick; 02-27-2008 at 09:04 AM.

Do you??

(Rev. J.R. Bob Dodds)