mtbr member

BB height on 06 FSR

I noticed I was banging my pedals a lot more with the Stumpy than with my previous bike. The Specialized website claims the BB height is 12.83" to 13.30". When I checked it with the tape measure, the BB height was about 11.5". What gives with the discrepancy?

mtbr member
    I can't answer your question, but I can note that the December '05 issue of Bicycling said about the Stumpjumper (p. 73): "Testers raved about the bike's ability to carve corners, but noted that some of this prowess is due to the bike's lowish bottom bracket height. While it's not overly low, we did ground the pedals on severely off-camber trails and had to be careful in rocky terrain."

mtbr member

I measured mine

I just checked my 2006 Stumpjumper FSR (base model). It's exactly 13 in. with no rider and standard tires. Are you sure your shock is not "stuck down"

Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    I noticed I was banging my pedals a lot more with the Stumpy than with my previous bike. The Specialized website claims the BB height is 12.83" to 13.30". When I checked it with the tape measure, the BB height was about 11.5". What gives with the discrepancy?

BigDridesBigS
    Oct 2005

Banged when shock is fully open

I have only banged the pedals a few times and everytime the Triad was in the fully open position. I went over the same section of trail with the Triad in propedal and I had no problem. I'm no engineer but my guess is that when the shock is in the fully open position it allows the bike to dip more into the travel and thus the BB height decreases. As a result I usually leave the Triad in propedal position and only put it on fully open on the knarliest sections of trails. As the other post stated the bikes performance is enhanced by the lower BB. I'm 6'3" and have an 06 XL Stumpy Comp., I feel much more stable on the bike as I don't feel way up in the air like I did on my old hardtail. Also, I haven't hit my head on low tree limbs, yet.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by billee
    I just checked my 2006 Stumpjumper FSR (base model). It's exactly 13 in. with no rider and standard tires. Are you sure your shock is not "stuck down"
    Where are you measuring? The center of my BB is 12" off the ground. I don't think my shock is stuck down. I just had it serviced after it blew it's oil all over the frame.

mtbr member
    My measurement was from the floor to the center of the crank bolt. Since the bike is probably not perfectly vertical, you can measure both sides (without moving the bike) and average.

Did you measure the extended length of the shock? It should be 7.5 in. from center to center of mounting bolts.

Where are you measuring? The center of my BB is 12" off the ground. I don't think my shock is stuck down. I just had it serviced after it blew it's oil all over the frame.

mtbr member
    My shock is stuck down

I measured eye to eye and it was only 6 15/16th. I got my 06 Stumpy at the end of November and dread sending the shock back for service again. I went through my LBS last time and it took 3 weeks to get the shock back (I asked for expedited service but manager sent it either USPS or UPS Ground from NC to CA). I cannot do that again. I was going nuts during my downtime and when I finally got the bike back I had lost some of my passion.

Through your experience, how quick is service through Fox directly?

mtbr member

Options to fix

I don't have any first hand experience with Fox turnaround time. If you Google "Fox stuck down" you will get a number of options for repair including do-it-yourself disassembly which looks somewhat dangerous due to trapped internal pressure. One option is to send it to Push Industries. They will fix it for $24.95 with 24 hour turnaround. See the bottom of the page of the following link.

http://www.pushindustries.com/servic...0Rear%20Shocks

My shock is stuck down

I measured eye to eye and it was only 6 15/16th. I got my 06 Stumpy at the end of November and dread sending the shock back for service again. I went through my LBS last time and it took 3 weeks to get the shock back (I asked for expedited service but manager sent it either USPS or UPS Ground from NC to CA). I cannot do that again. I was going nuts during my downtime and when I finally got the bike back I had lost some of my passion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by billee
    I don't have any first hand experience with Fox turnaround time. If you Google "Fox stuck down" you will get a number of options for repair including do-it-yourself disassembly which looks somewhat dangerous due to trapped internal pressure. One option is to send it to Push Industries. They will fix it for $24.95 with 24 hour turnaround. See the bottom of the page of the following link.

http://www.pushindustries.com/servic...0Rear%20Shocks
    If you send it to Push I would go ahead and pay the money to have them completely rebuild it. They basically replace all the internals and custom valve it to your weight, riding style, and bike. You will feel such a huge difference. I had them do my DHX on my FR bike and it made it so much nicer. Fox is realy good to work with direct also. I wouldn't dick with your LBS it just ads one more person for things to go through. I would call Fox direct and send it to them or have it Pushed.
    [SIZE="4"]`..><((((>`..`..`...><((((>`..`..`...><((((> `.. `.. [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My shock is stuck down

Have you tried letting the air out (maybe cycle the suspension a bit) and refilling it a few times?
    While you're at it, check to make sure there are no cables/hoses binding and stopping the suspension from fully extending.
    Last edited by fsrxc; 03-29-2006 at 01:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    Have you tried letting the air out (maybe cycle the suspension a bit) and refilling it a few times?
    While you're at it, check to make sure there are no cables/hoses binding and stopping the suspension from fully extending.
    Fox recommended pumping the shock up to 250psi. Tried this but no change. Nothing else is binding or causing problems.

Ok, I am now debating Push fixing it or getting my shock Pushed. I have never heard anyone accurately describe the way a Pushed shock feels compared to the previous shock. Everyone just says "it feels better." What feels better, why does it feel better, what is different. Give me something more than "it feels better."

I am moving to a new house. During the transistion I might send my shock off for service.

mtbr member
    Just called Fox and got a RA number. They said that since this is a warranty repair, the would try to get the shock back to me within 5 business days. Normal turnaround is 7 to 10.

mtbr member
    Fox recommended pumping the shock up to 250psi. Tried this but no change. Nothing else is binding or causing problems.

Ok, I am now debating Push fixing it or getting my shock Pushed. I have never heard anyone accurately describe the way a Pushed shock feels compared to the previous shock. Everyone just says "it feels better." What feels better, why does it feel better, what is different. Give me something more than "it feels better."

I am moving to a new house. During the transistion I might send my shock off for service.
    By better I mean that my factory shock on my Rocky Mountain Switch felt too stiff with the propper spring on my DHX 5.0 but when I went to a lighter spring it didn't pedal like I wanted and would bottom out too easily. So basicaly it was only good on little bumps in with one setup and big ones in the other. So I sent it to push and told them my weight, my bike, (year, model, size) and my riding style as well as the problems I wanted fixed. So I pay my $ and send it back to them and they do there thing with it and poof just like magic my bike is riding just like I wanted it too. Now the shock feels plush and soft over the little studder bumps but sucks up the big hits without a hickup. also they set the propedal so when I turn it way up to do some longer trail rides it is much more pedal friendly.

I hope that answers your question a little better. Basicaly they will make it "feel better" however you want them to. For example I am going to send my Triad back to them and have them adjust it so in the propedal setting it has a much stiffer pedaling platform and that the open is definitely open, also I am going to have them make it so when I lock it out It actualy locks that sucker out like a freekin hard tail.
    [SIZE="4"]`..><((((>`..`..`...><((((>`..`..`...><((((> `.. `.. [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yeah, get the shock warrantied first, then ride it and see how it is.

The short version of what PUSH does:
    If you have a Propedal shock, it came from Fox tuned to work on your bike with riders in a certain weight range, with a ride preference that is most likely for that bike, so if any of your needs fall outside that range, the platform could be too harsh, or too soft, or the rebound might be a bit fast or slow, or a combination of the above.

Push tunes the shock to your specific needs, so it will likely work better for you than the shock can coming from Fox, since they have to please a bigger variety of riders that might be buying the bike.