Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Bar Ends; Are they on your bike? Why or Why Not?

When I first took up biking 3 years ago I put bar ends on my new bike. I also put them on my second bike. At first I used them quite a bit, but the better I have gotten the less I used them. Now I don't really ever use them. So when I got my new 2012 SJ FSR Expert Carbon I wasn't going to put them on. What I found though was that when I flip my bike over to remove the wheels (and the rear is way easier to take on and off upside down), my computer would get scratched up touching the ground. So now they are back on. I also have found that with the wider handle bars they deflect quite a few trees that I get to close to. Hopefully that will also lessen with experience on the my new ride. So let me know if you have them on your bike, why and or why not, and what you feel are the pros and cons of having them.

Bar Ends; Are they on your bike? Why or Why Not?-imag3103.jpg

Epic rider
    Surely that picture is photoshopped... You wouldn't really put barends on a bike like that ;-)
    There is a simple solution, get a repair stand!

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9100 met Tapatalk
    12 Anthem X29
    13 XTC 29

07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

Using No Way as Way...
    Mar 2010
    I had them on my Jamis a few yrs back. bikes been sold. but loved riding with them. just gave me that extra option for grip climbing and cruising on flats. and it is true, when the bike was turned over (for whatever reason, ie: taking off wheels or chain fix) it lifted the bike up just enough to keep the bars/shifters/brake handles off the ground. just turn over and wipe the seat off!

im currently on a stumpy elite...want them, but havent found the right pair. all i need are lil nobs. nothing too crazy. just having the option is nice. there is a sweet set on chainreaction, just havent pulled the trigger.

Swedetarded
    I haven't used bar ends since 1997.

mtbr member
    I havent used them in maybe13 years.

Perhaps if I was riding long distances on the road I may consider switching back to them, but to be honest most of the terrain I ride is too technical to warrant them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I had them on until I hooked a sapling with one and was launched off the bike. I do like the grip option with them, but the trails I ride have too many opportunities for them grabbing a tree so I took them off.

mtbr member
    No,they are not because they are fugly. Even if I have to pedal with a shatzload of concrete bricks loaded on my back I'll have my back snap rather than use those obscenities.

mtbr member
    I don't have bar ends that big but I like the Ergon grips with the small nubs on the end to grap on to. I ride a lot of dirt roads and it is nice to have a few different hand positions and they do really act as bumpers against a lot of trees.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalEmperor View Post
    I had them on my Jamis a few yrs back. bikes been sold. but loved riding with them. just gave me that extra option for grip climbing and cruising on flats. and it is true, when the bike was turned over (for whatever reason, ie: taking off wheels or chain fix) it lifted the bike up just enough to keep the bars/shifters/brake handles off the ground. just turn over and wipe the seat off!

im currently on a stumpy elite...want them, but havent found the right pair. all i need are lil nobs. nothing too crazy. just having the option is nice. there is a sweet set on chainreaction, just havent pulled the trigger.
    I plan to get a smaller set as well, just haven't gotten around to it either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rapsac View Post
    Surely that picture is photoshopped... You wouldn't really put barends on a bike like that ;-)
    There is a simple solution, get a repair stand!
    Perhaps you should read the entire first post again. It is VERY hard to remove the rear wheel on this particular bike in the upright position. Even my LBS has troubles doing it that way on this bike. Like I would waste time photoshopping that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    No,they are not because they are fugly. Even if I have to pedal with a shatzload of concrete bricks loaded on my back I'll have my back snap rather than use those obscenities.
    Well, everyone has a right to not like something I guess. Even if it means they would hurt themselves for the sake of looking cool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiZcut View Post
    I don't have bar ends that big but I like the Ergon grips with the small nubs on the end to grap on to. I ride a lot of dirt roads and it is nice to have a few different hand positions and they do really act as bumpers against a lot of trees.
    The Ergon grips are the best! I used to get numb in the hands till I switched to these. Also switching to full suspension helped with my hands, feet, and back. So much more enjoyable to ride now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy12 View Post
    When I first took up biking 3 years ago I put bar ends on my new bike. I also put them on my second bike. At first I used them quite a bit, but the better I have gotten the less I used them. Now I don't really ever use them. So when I got my new 2012 SJ FSR Expert Carbon I wasn't going to put them on. What I found though was that when I flip my bike over to remove the wheels (and the rear is way easier to take on and off upside down), my computer would get scratched up touching the ground. So now they are back on. I also have found that with the wider handle bars they deflect quite a few trees that I get to close to. Hopefully that will also lessen with experience on the my new ride. So let me know if you have them on your bike, why and or why not, and what you feel are the pros and cons of having them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG3103.jpg 
Views:	3478 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	719146
    Wait till you get your bar ends hooked on a tree with the wider bars. I was following a woman on the trail yesterday and saw it happen, flung her to the ground like a rag doll poor girl. I have not used them since about 1998LOL

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Just caught a tree limb the other day with mine—riding a 2000-era bike, so they were standard at the time—and took a huge fall. I'm shopping bikes now, and no bar ends planned.

mtbr member
    Not since the late 90s have I graced my bike with bar ends. Used to love them, I guess I am a slave to fashion and let them go along with my 3D violet crank bolts. They really did work well with the narrower bars of the time, but I think with the wider bars that are popular now that they aren't as necessary. Whatever floats your boat. I used them mainly to shift my hands onto for climbing and to give some relief on long rides.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I find these help me kick ass when a deer gets in my way...

mtbr member
    I have bad wrists so bar ends make a ride bearable and no I have never hooked them on anything. In fact they have save my hands more than once.
    Photobucket
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    . It is VERY hard to remove the rear wheel on this particular bike in the upright position.
    Huh?

mtbr member
    So when I got my new 2012 SJ FSR Expert Carbon I wasn't going to put them on. What I found though was that when I flip my bike over to remove the wheels (and the rear is way easier to take on and off upside down), my computer would get scratched up touching the ground. So now they are back on.
    It's always worth taking the computer off before you turn the bike over. It stops it being damaged.

On my Epic the stem bolts get really scratched if you have to stand the bike upside down on the bars and saddle for removing the wheels (such as before putting it into a car). What I do is have a thick cloth in the car to put on the ground. By resting the bars on that the bars and stem are protected from scratches. If it's for a puncture then you don't have much choice but for general transport a cloth on the ground works well.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I like bar ends, have used them for years, short stubby kinds, not a big fan of the big long ones but to each his own. I currently have ritchey WCS on and love them. For long climbs they are nice to have for the wrists, also, on up hill out of the saddle climbing with a big gear it's nice to pull hard on those babies. just my .2

I like bikes.
    I don't have a Specialized, not that it matters much anyway.. I put bar ends and ergo grips after I got numb hands. I use the bar ends anytime I'm climbing as I can pull and stand better.
    I also like the bar ends because it saves my hands from sliding off the grip. I also like th bar ends as they protect my hands from tree's, branches, etc. I've bounced those bar ends off a few trees rather than my hands...phew...
    Bar ends as OP stated are very nice for flipping bike upside down and repairing. I do alot of bike path checks so a bike stand isn't practical in the woods...haha

So, like it or not, that's my bike setup the way I like it. Just wanted to share with OP how I ride and that he needs to like it himself and not ask everyone else for their approval!
    Karakoram...ZS44, X-Fusion, Freq i23, Tioga's, Shadow & XT,Shim Hydro 180/160, MG-1 pedals & more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydogg View Post
    So, like it or not, that's my bike setup the way I like it. Just wanted to share with OP how I ride and that he needs to like it himself and not ask everyone else for their approval!
    Don't know where you got the idea that I wanted any ones approval??? I've always been one to do things the way I like them done. Like have big long bar ends on my bike. Just wanted to hear other peoples opinions on the subject. As long as that's OK with you......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    It's always worth taking the computer off before you turn the bike over. It stops it being damaged.

On my Epic the stem bolts get really scratched if you have to stand the bike upside down on the bars and saddle for removing the wheels (such as before putting it into a car). What I do is have a thick cloth in the car to put on the ground. By resting the bars on that the bars and stem are protected from scratches. If it's for a puncture then you don't have much choice but for general transport a cloth on the ground works well.
    That is a good idea, especially if you despise bar ends like quite a few people. I am settled on keeping the bar ends though I may switch to a smaller set if I ever get around to finding some I like.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post
    I have bad wrists so bar ends make a ride bearable and no I have never hooked them on anything. In fact they have save my hands more than once.
    Photobucket
    I am with you on that. I only hooked on two occasions when I first started riding, but at low speeds. Mine curve in quite a bit and have saved my hands more times than I can count. I am contemplating cutting an inch or so off each end of my bar but will probably run a thread on that before I decide. Lots to debate on small or large bars.

mtbr member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    I find these help me kick @#!*% when a deer gets in my way...

That is pretty cool, but I don't know if I'd want to take that on any of the trails.

Wouldn't want to wreck on it either, it would probably keep you from flying over the handles, but it would probably hurt more.

Thanks for posting that pic though!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast