Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 70
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpy12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    55

    Bar Ends; Are they on your bike? Why or Why Not?

    When I first took up biking 3 years ago I put bar ends on my new bike. I also put them on my second bike. At first I used them quite a bit, but the better I have gotten the less I used them. Now I don't really ever use them. So when I got my new 2012 SJ FSR Expert Carbon I wasn't going to put them on. What I found though was that when I flip my bike over to remove the wheels (and the rear is way easier to take on and off upside down), my computer would get scratched up touching the ground. So now they are back on. I also have found that with the wider handle bars they deflect quite a few trees that I get to close to. Hopefully that will also lessen with experience on the my new ride. So let me know if you have them on your bike, why and or why not, and what you feel are the pros and cons of having them.

    Bar Ends; Are they on your bike? Why or Why Not?-imag3103.jpg

  2. #2
    Epic rider
    Reputation: rapsac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    393
    Surely that picture is photoshopped... You wouldn't really put barends on a bike like that ;-)
    There is a simple solution, get a repair stand!

    Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9100 met Tapatalk
    12 Anthem X29
    13 XTC 29

    07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

  3. #3
    Using No Way as Way...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    38
    I had them on my Jamis a few yrs back. bikes been sold. but loved riding with them. just gave me that extra option for grip climbing and cruising on flats. and it is true, when the bike was turned over (for whatever reason, ie: taking off wheels or chain fix) it lifted the bike up just enough to keep the bars/shifters/brake handles off the ground. just turn over and wipe the seat off!

    im currently on a stumpy elite...want them, but havent found the right pair. all i need are lil nobs. nothing too crazy. just having the option is nice. there is a sweet set on chainreaction, just havent pulled the trigger.

  4. #4
    Swedetarded
    Reputation: mrbigisbudgood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    527
    I haven't used bar ends since 1997.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kiwi_matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    329
    I havent used them in maybe13 years.

    Perhaps if I was riding long distances on the road I may consider switching back to them, but to be honest most of the terrain I ride is too technical to warrant them.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    124
    I had them on until I hooked a sapling with one and was launched off the bike. I do like the grip option with them, but the trails I ride have too many opportunities for them grabbing a tree so I took them off.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Devastazione's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,093
    No,they are not because they are fugly. Even if I have to pedal with a shatzload of concrete bricks loaded on my back I'll have my back snap rather than use those obscenities.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seabiZcut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    15
    I don't have bar ends that big but I like the Ergon grips with the small nubs on the end to grap on to. I ride a lot of dirt roads and it is nice to have a few different hand positions and they do really act as bumpers against a lot of trees.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpy12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalEmperor View Post
    I had them on my Jamis a few yrs back. bikes been sold. but loved riding with them. just gave me that extra option for grip climbing and cruising on flats. and it is true, when the bike was turned over (for whatever reason, ie: taking off wheels or chain fix) it lifted the bike up just enough to keep the bars/shifters/brake handles off the ground. just turn over and wipe the seat off!

    im currently on a stumpy elite...want them, but havent found the right pair. all i need are lil nobs. nothing too crazy. just having the option is nice. there is a sweet set on chainreaction, just havent pulled the trigger.
    I plan to get a smaller set as well, just haven't gotten around to it either.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpy12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by rapsac View Post
    Surely that picture is photoshopped... You wouldn't really put barends on a bike like that ;-)
    There is a simple solution, get a repair stand!
    Perhaps you should read the entire first post again. It is VERY hard to remove the rear wheel on this particular bike in the upright position. Even my LBS has troubles doing it that way on this bike. Like I would waste time photoshopping that.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpy12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    No,they are not because they are fugly. Even if I have to pedal with a shatzload of concrete bricks loaded on my back I'll have my back snap rather than use those obscenities.
    Well, everyone has a right to not like something I guess. Even if it means they would hurt themselves for the sake of looking cool.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpy12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiZcut View Post
    I don't have bar ends that big but I like the Ergon grips with the small nubs on the end to grap on to. I ride a lot of dirt roads and it is nice to have a few different hand positions and they do really act as bumpers against a lot of trees.
    The Ergon grips are the best! I used to get numb in the hands till I switched to these. Also switching to full suspension helped with my hands, feet, and back. So much more enjoyable to ride now.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mint355's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy12 View Post
    When I first took up biking 3 years ago I put bar ends on my new bike. I also put them on my second bike. At first I used them quite a bit, but the better I have gotten the less I used them. Now I don't really ever use them. So when I got my new 2012 SJ FSR Expert Carbon I wasn't going to put them on. What I found though was that when I flip my bike over to remove the wheels (and the rear is way easier to take on and off upside down), my computer would get scratched up touching the ground. So now they are back on. I also have found that with the wider handle bars they deflect quite a few trees that I get to close to. Hopefully that will also lessen with experience on the my new ride. So let me know if you have them on your bike, why and or why not, and what you feel are the pros and cons of having them.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG3103.jpg 
Views:	8500 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	719146
    Wait till you get your bar ends hooked on a tree with the wider bars. I was following a woman on the trail yesterday and saw it happen, flung her to the ground like a rag doll poor girl. I have not used them since about 1998LOL

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    19
    Just caught a tree limb the other day with mine—riding a 2000-era bike, so they were standard at the time—and took a huge fall. I'm shopping bikes now, and no bar ends planned.

  15. #15
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,797
    Not since the late 90s have I graced my bike with bar ends. Used to love them, I guess I am a slave to fashion and let them go along with my 3D violet crank bolts. They really did work well with the narrower bars of the time, but I think with the wider bars that are popular now that they aren't as necessary. Whatever floats your boat. I used them mainly to shift my hands onto for climbing and to give some relief on long rides.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,666
    I find these help me kick ass when a deer gets in my way...


  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rakuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    831
    I have bad wrists so bar ends make a ride bearable and no I have never hooked them on anything. In fact they have save my hands more than once.
    <a href="http://s696.photobucket.com/albums/vv324/rakuman/?action=view&amp;current=IMG_0071-1.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv324/rakuman/IMG_0071-1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking


  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HAL 9000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,727
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy12 View Post
    . It is VERY hard to remove the rear wheel on this particular bike in the upright position.
    Huh?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WR304's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy12 View Post
    So when I got my new 2012 SJ FSR Expert Carbon I wasn't going to put them on. What I found though was that when I flip my bike over to remove the wheels (and the rear is way easier to take on and off upside down), my computer would get scratched up touching the ground. So now they are back on.
    It's always worth taking the computer off before you turn the bike over. It stops it being damaged.

    On my Epic the stem bolts get really scratched if you have to stand the bike upside down on the bars and saddle for removing the wheels (such as before putting it into a car). What I do is have a thick cloth in the car to put on the ground. By resting the bars on that the bars and stem are protected from scratches. If it's for a puncture then you don't have much choice but for general transport a cloth on the ground works well.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    33
    I like bar ends, have used them for years, short stubby kinds, not a big fan of the big long ones but to each his own. I currently have ritchey WCS on and love them. For long climbs they are nice to have for the wrists, also, on up hill out of the saddle climbing with a big gear it's nice to pull hard on those babies. just my .2

  21. #21
    I like bikes.
    Reputation: Dirtydogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    309
    I don't have a Specialized, not that it matters much anyway.. I put bar ends and ergo grips after I got numb hands. I use the bar ends anytime I'm climbing as I can pull and stand better.
    I also like the bar ends because it saves my hands from sliding off the grip. I also like th bar ends as they protect my hands from tree's, branches, etc. I've bounced those bar ends off a few trees rather than my hands...phew...
    Bar ends as OP stated are very nice for flipping bike upside down and repairing. I do alot of bike path checks so a bike stand isn't practical in the woods...haha

    So, like it or not, that's my bike setup the way I like it. Just wanted to share with OP how I ride and that he needs to like it himself and not ask everyone else for their approval!
    Karakoram...ZS44, X-Fusion, Freq i23, Tioga's, Shadow & XT,Shim Hydro 180/160, MG-1 pedals & more.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpy12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydogg View Post
    So, like it or not, that's my bike setup the way I like it. Just wanted to share with OP how I ride and that he needs to like it himself and not ask everyone else for their approval!
    Don't know where you got the idea that I wanted any ones approval??? I've always been one to do things the way I like them done. Like have big long bar ends on my bike. Just wanted to hear other peoples opinions on the subject. As long as that's OK with you......

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpy12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    It's always worth taking the computer off before you turn the bike over. It stops it being damaged.

    On my Epic the stem bolts get really scratched if you have to stand the bike upside down on the bars and saddle for removing the wheels (such as before putting it into a car). What I do is have a thick cloth in the car to put on the ground. By resting the bars on that the bars and stem are protected from scratches. If it's for a puncture then you don't have much choice but for general transport a cloth on the ground works well.
    That is a good idea, especially if you despise bar ends like quite a few people. I am settled on keeping the bar ends though I may switch to a smaller set if I ever get around to finding some I like.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpy12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post
    I have bad wrists so bar ends make a ride bearable and no I have never hooked them on anything. In fact they have save my hands more than once.
    <a href="http://s696.photobucket.com/albums/vv324/rakuman/?action=view&amp;current=IMG_0071-1.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv324/rakuman/IMG_0071-1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>
    I am with you on that. I only hooked on two occasions when I first started riding, but at low speeds. Mine curve in quite a bit and have saved my hands more times than I can count. I am contemplating cutting an inch or so off each end of my bar but will probably run a thread on that before I decide. Lots to debate on small or large bars.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpy12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    55

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    I find these help me kick @#!*% when a deer gets in my way...

    That is pretty cool, but I don't know if I'd want to take that on any of the trails.

    Wouldn't want to wreck on it either, it would probably keep you from flying over the handles, but it would probably hurt more.

    Thanks for posting that pic though!

  26. #26
    Trail Rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,418
    When I started doing more 20+ mile day rides and bikepacking(usually 40-50 miles a day), I bought bar ends and really enjoy the alternative hand positioning.

    Just got a 2013 Carve Expert with a wider bar, its going to get bar ends as soon as I find some I like at the LBSs.

  27. #27
    'Tis but a scratch
    Reputation: huffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,770

    Ergons

    Love em
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  28. #28
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    I have bar ends on my bike, because they are Teh Awesome. Another hand position on flat ground, and really great hand position on climbs. Any sapling that my bar end hooks is a sapling I would have otherwise crushed my hand on, so I am cool with that trade.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpy12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    Any sapling that my bar end hooks is a sapling I would have otherwise crushed my hand on, so I am cool with that trade.
    Very true!

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpy12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by huffster View Post
    Love em
    Those look pretty nice! Do they stick up enough to protect the computer, center post, and brakes?

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    13
    I have them on both my bikes. I'm constantly adjusting my hand position to avoid straining any part of my hand or arm. Even seems to help with my back.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by huffster View Post
    Love em
    Another Ergon vote here
    2012 Specialized Camber Comp 29er
    Trek 9800 OLCV, XT upgrade 26er
    KHS Fleetwood
    Schwinn 20" Fastback 5 speed stick shift

  33. #33
    The Original Suspect
    Reputation: HitmenOnlyInc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,303
    I had a great pair of Onza's back in the early 90's but haven't used any since. I do agree they were useful when needing to tip the bike upside-down for repair and not scratching levers/shifters/computer.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    358
    To the OP. If you want to save your computer from being scratched, grab a cheap phone screen protector and cut it to cover your computer. I've been doing this for a while. If it does get scratched, pull of the protector and put a new one on, it will be like new again. Last time I ordered them, I think I got 3 for a couple dollars shipped.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpy12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    55

    Good job!

    Quote Originally Posted by toyotatacomaTRD View Post
    To the OP. If you want to save your computer from being scratched, grab a cheap phone screen protector and cut it to cover your computer. I've been doing this for a while. If it does get scratched, pull of the protector and put a new one on, it will be like new again. Last time I ordered them, I think I got 3 for a couple dollars shipped.
    That is an awesome idea whether you used bars or not! I will definitely implement that idea. Thanks!

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    51

    Yes to bar-ends

    Long ago, when I first switched to riser bars, I didn't particularly miss them, as I think the wider riser bars don't need them as much. But one day I decided to try them again, and I feel like it transformed the ride on flats and uphills. I feel like I get a lot more leverage that translates into power to the pedal. I've experimented with trying to keep my hands on the grips on flat or slightly uphill sections, and my hands would always rather be on the bar ends, for the power and comfort. To each their own. The only time I've ever hooked a bar end (and I ride quite a bit in the trees), was one ride that was ridiculously overgrown on one side. Its basically not a concern of mine. I use the RavX Ergo X carbon bar ends because they extend behind the bar a bit, which I feel is a more natural position for the hands.

  37. #37
    dvn
    dvn is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dvn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    710
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    I have bar ends on my bike, because they are Teh Awesome. Another hand position on flat ground, and really great hand position on climbs. Any sapling that my bar end hooks is a sapling I would have otherwise crushed my hand on, so I am cool with that trade.
    This! I have a small set of Ritchey's on mine. I don't know what all these guys are talking about hooking trees. I use mine to deflect off trees that would have otherwise smashed my fingers. If you hook something with a bar-end, you really screwed up.

  38. #38
    'Tis but a scratch
    Reputation: huffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy12 View Post
    Those look pretty nice! Do they stick up enough to protect the computer, center post, and brakes?
    Don't run a cycle computer, use a smartphone. But, the bike does rest on these when flipped.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Scottesq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    86
    I just put some of the spec rubberized bar ends on my 2013 Epic. I like the extra hand position especially for short technical climbs. I hooked a vine once......once. Now I pay attention.
    2013 Epic Comp 29er
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2011 Roubaix

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpy12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottesq View Post
    I hooked a vine once......once. Now I pay attention.
    I agree, while it is possible, it is unusual for the experienced rider to hook a tree or vine with the bar ends, but being saved from smashing the hands on a big tree that you got to close to is nice and I think that happens to everyone.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    267
    Bar ends are the same thing as pants that go above your belly button. Old.

  42. #42
    Trail Rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,418
    Old. Like Bikes...



    Recipe for winning? Ask Ned He's a fan.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    267


    I kid, I kid.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    240
    I used them on my 1999 Gary Fisher. It came with narrow bars (23"). My wrists and fingers would get tingly and numb on long climbs and flat cruising, and the pain continued hours after riding. The bar ends solved that problem. I'm riding a 2012 Stumpy now. It has much wider bars (720 mm). I put some fatter grips on and bought some nice gloves. I haven't had any numbness yet, and I feel like I'm much more in control than I was with those squirrely narrow bars. I don't see myself considering bar ends again.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

  45. #45
    Rep Power: Pick a number
    Reputation: Xcisok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    360
    I chucked mine a long time ago. Flat out down a hill and caught them on a tree. Bike stopped I didn't

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    15
    " I feel like I get a lot more leverage that translates into power to the pedal. I've experimented with trying to keep my hands on the grips on flat or slightly uphill sections, and my hands would always rather be on the bar ends, for the power and comfort. To each their own. The only time I've ever hooked a bar end (and I ride quite a bit in the trees), was one ride that was ridiculously overgrown on one side. Its basically not a concern of mine. I use the RavX Ergo X carbon bar ends because they extend behind the bar a bit, which I feel is a more natural position for the hands."

    -- I too, use the bar ends quite often. They seem to be the "default position" whenever I'm riding on flats or squirming ascents. I just feel like I can get more leverage with my wrists in this position rather than just straight across on my flat bar. I just move my hands back to the grips when I need to brake or shift. I also prefer that "riding-on-hoods" position and does offer some variety for hand positions. BTW, I use Serfas Stablilizer bar ends.

    With regards to appearance, I may be skewed, but there's something for me about flat bars with bar ends that just look right.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    17
    I don't want to get caught holding them when I encounter an unexpected bump on the trail.

    But, I have considered them just to have an alternate position when riding the pavement between the trailhead and home. I try my best to rid to every trailhead from my front door so I inevitably encounter a fair amount of pavement.

  48. #48
    J-Flo
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,327
    I tend to think that bar ends address issues that are better resolved by changes to the cockpit (stem and bars), are a little more dangerous (friend caught a tree with one at speed and a concussion and severe shoulder injury were the result), and encourage poor/unsafe posture with your hands away from the brakes. That said, I fully understand why some people use them for increased comfort -- I probably would too if I found they helped.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12
    It's great for XC touring.

  50. #50
    'Tis but a scratch
    Reputation: huffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by Xcisok View Post
    I chucked mine a long time ago. Flat out down a hill and caught them on a tree. Bike stopped I didn't
    If that makes you feel better - Cool

    I would suggest that all bar ends (to my knowledge) are clamped on and thus do not make the handlebar any wider. So, if you caught a tree with the bar end, you were gonna catch it with your handlebar and probably wreck anyways.

    As I said, whatever makes you feel better. Sometimes its just a psychological thing. You remove the bar ends and now you don't hit trees.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •