mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Band loyality clouding my judgement?

After 2 years of service, 3,500 miles, 2 sets of break pads, a new crankset, a set of peddles, numerous inner tubes and countless hours of enjoyment, I think its about time to retire my 2011 Hardrock sport disc. The thought has crossed my mind to upgrade it but I think it would cost more than its worth (it needs 2 new tires, a new cassette and possibly new forks, they are beginning to wobble). With the 2013 models almost upon us now seems like the right time.

I commute 7 miles each day to and from the train station (im not too worried about it being left there each day it would be insured and locked with 2 different locks next to some rather expensive roadies) and hit single trails as much as I can, but not as much as I would like.

I love my hardrock so i was thinking about the Rockhopper, but I relies is based on consumer loyalty (which i would normally try and avoid) more than anything else, ive looked at others but it comes back seem to gravitate to specialized (i havnt test riden any of them). In your opinion I it worth looking at other brands more or because I love the hardrock ill love the rockhopper, after all they must share the same heritage and probably design team? and will I feel the difference between the hardrock and rockhopper?

Thanks

Edit: Spelling
    Last edited by w4rp3d; 08-21-2012 at 09:32 AM.

mtbr member
    The major brands give you the biggest bang for your buck e.g. Giant, Trek, Specialized. Specialized has the most selection of the big three so you should probably just stay put.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumper61 View Post
    The major brands give you the biggest bang for your buck e.g. Giant, Trek, Specialized. Specialized has the most selection of the big three so you should probably just stay put.
    Although they don't have the panache of the big brands Specialized, Giant, Cannondale and Trek

Jamis, KHS, Kona and BikesDirect Aka Motobecane offer a pretty good package of solid spec bikes at a decent price.

2012 JAMIS BICYCLES - HARDTAIL MOUNTAIN BIKES

Mountain | KHS Bicycles

KONAWORLD

Save up to 60% off Mountain Bikes, All Mountain Bikes, Full Suspension SRAM and Shimano Mountain Bikes and Hardtail Front Suspension Mountain Bikes from Bikesdirect.com

eventually it comes down to what is gonna make you happy within your budgetary constraints.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Think of it this way....what is a new frame gonna get you? If it were me, I would pick all the parts you need to replace on the Hardrock, and add up the total. Then spec the new bike you want, and see which looks like a better option.

I personally don't think a new frame would get you anything in the way of efficiency. I personally ride a Rockhopper, and have a lot of really nice bits on it. Some might laugh and consider having Chris Kings/ Flow EX on a Rockhopper like having Rays wheels on a Honda Accord, but to each their own.

mtbr member
    99 Hardrock is steel IIRC. The new ones are Aluminum. The Rockhopper is Aluminum. Of course this just reduces the exercise you get while riding

I LOVE my Rockhopper. I tried a Trek and all I want to do is find a way out of it. Specialized fits me better, stock.

If you know what you like, don't mess with it. Since its outside I don't see any problem with buying another Hardrock. Especially since they are Aluminum now. Keep the price down.
    2012 Fianceť
    2011 Spc SJ Cmp Crbn 29
    2010 Fantom Cross Outlaw
    2009 Spc RH Exprt Disc 29
    2008 Trek Fuel EX7
    2007 Spc RH

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    2011 Hardrock has an A1 frame, so does the 2013 Rockhopper. You've already got a little bit of money sunk into the Hardrock with the new crank. The Rockhopper comes stock with just a notch up in components vs the stock Hardrocks. What I'm saying is... it probably isn't worth buying a Rockhopper.

Step up to atleast a Carve for a substantially lighter and more compliant frame as well as a larger step up in components. Otherwise, just upgrade your Hardrock, its a bulletproof frame that is more than likely far more capable than you're rides(that was the case with mine).

Or, step away from Specialized.

Look at upper level Giant Talons and the lower level XTCs. Look at the Trek Cobias. Cannondale and Scott both have equivelants as well as lots of the smaller brands. Start trying some new bikes out!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've pondered this before. But every time I look into other companies I realize that specialized does a better job with components than every other brand. You get nicer components for the price IMO. Stick with spesh :thumbup:

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    If it were me, I would pick all the parts you need to replace on the Hardrock, and add up the total.
    hang on to your frame! new frames are not what they used to be. you have a frame that you like, that you know and trust, don't give it up. jonshonda is right on