mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Avid Elixir brake adjustment

I have a 2009 Epic Expert with Avid Elixir brake levers. On the left side for the front brake: I have adjusted it (via both the allen bolt and round knob) as far as I can to get the handle away from the handlebar so that when I pull the brake lever it doesn't almost touch the handlebar before braking.

Do I need to take it to the shop to have it bled? Or what?

Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    That does not sound right. Simple for a shop to fix if you have never bled a system. Bring it in.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rakerdeal
    I have a 2009 Epic Expert with Avid Elixir brake levers. On the left side for the front brake: I have adjusted it (via both the allen bolt and round knob) as far as I can to get the handle away from the handlebar so that when I pull the brake lever it doesn't almost touch the handlebar before braking.

Do I need to take it to the shop to have it bled? Or what?

Thanks for any help.
    Your symptoms don't necessarily indicate a bleed is necessary. Check the obvious things first - check that you haven't consumed your brake pads, and also that you have enough meat left on your callipers. You will need a micrometer to measure the calliper. A G3 calliper should be 2mm new.

Also, it pays to check that you have the correct pad spacing. To do this, remove the wheel, rotate the contact point adjuster to the full “out” position so that it is in the most open position. Next squeeze the brake lever slowly several times while watching the brake pads move toward each other, continue until you see an approximate 1 mm gap between the pads. Now use a large flat screwdriver to gently spread them to the correct position (2mm). Install your wheels and give the lever a squeeze. The brake pads should now be properly advanced to the correct position, and the brake lever should have a proper firm feel.

hth
    Dave
    Last edited by skiwi; 01-22-2011 at 11:15 PM.

mtbr member
    My guess would be pads but all the above are great suggestions to try if it's not.