mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Avid Contact Point Adjustment

I have a 2007 Stumpjumper FSR Test bike with Avid Ultimate 7 discs. My question is with the contact point adjustment for the pads it appears you ratchet forward the brake handle to the desired contact (engagement) but how do you release the the engagement if you want less contact?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You adjust the contact point by adjusting the red knobs on top. If you turn them in (clockwise for left one, counter clock for right one if you are sitting on the bike), it will contact earlier.

If it doesn't seem to have any effect, the brakes aren't bled right.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    How do you turn those red knobs? There aren't knurled or anything.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Dunno,

Mine has knurled knobs. You may have the 08 version where the adjustment is now via a 2.5mm hex wrench

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    yes, the new 7's take a 2.5 allen to adj,-----i run the adj all 12 turns loose and fill the system with motul high temp fluid , then bleed correctly and fill the system full,---
    then i run the adj all the way back tight 12 turns and adjust each piston so they are sticking out perfectly the same-----then center the caliper , and now my brakes are tight and all the way at the end, --- and they and work great and never fade or get slopy