mtbr member
    Apr 2007

I needed a new saddle for my Rockhopper since the stock saddle (Rival?) is too narrow (130mm) and I also wanted to see if I could find something more comfortable since I do a lot of seated/commuting riding, aside from XC. I don't mind a little extra weight if I can get some more comfort for the road, which led me to choose the Avatar Gel.

I just took it for a spin and immediately noticed that the Avatar is much firmer than the stock BG/Rival. With the Rival I would sink into the seat a bit, whereas with the Avatar, I don't really sink in and tend to slide around. The seat feels OK when I'm up on the back of it but since I'm sliding around so much I usually end up too far forward with the narrow part of the seat pressuring my sensitive bits. Even with the front of the saddle tilted up this is still happening.

Anyways, any opinions on this saddle? Is there something possibly more comfortable that I should try?

jonathan

mtbr member
    have you tried the rival sl? It has memory foam, which feels really comfortable. And as surprising/odd it may seem, the toupe is damn comfy too!

I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    Try getting fit on the ass-ometer. Your local Specialized dealer should have one. You might need a 143 or bigger seat.

mtbr member
    Try sliding your seat forward in the rails

I AM I AM
    I've got the Avatar Gel 155, recently I did a long road ride compared to spending around an hour riding the trails and ended up with a sore bum. Did a shorter road ride next time and bum was still slightly sore.

You're correct in that unless the saddle is tilted upwards a bit I have a tendency to slide forward on it as well. Up a bit and back on the rails (straight post) seems comfy enough and bum stays where it's supposed to but not 100% comfy on the long road rides. However never had a problems with regards to the squishy bits just the bony points of the pelvis (not sit bones the more forward ones).

I suppose I shouldn't complain as a good pair of knicks would probably fix the problems - I ride in normal shorts most of the time.

Have more of a play with the position, I found it more comfortable than softer versions that specialized makes but in the end if you can't get used to it in a few rides look at something else that has the width and softness you require.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the responses. I'm heading out for a longer ride in a few minutes so we'll see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy_Steve
    have you tried the rival sl? It has memory foam, which feels really comfortable. And as surprising/odd it may seem, the toupe is damn comfy too!
    I haven't tried the SL yet, but I might give go back to the shop and pick one up if the Avatar isn't working out.

Quote Originally Posted by RYAN E
    Try getting fit on the ass-ometer. Your local Specialized dealer should have one. You might need a 143 or bigger seat.
    Yeah, I was measured 143, although when sitting on the 143 it *barely* feels wider. When I go back to the shop I'll do another measurement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobus
    Try sliding your seat forward in the rails
    I can give this a try... maybe mess with the seat halfway through my ride today.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Eh, just got back from another ride. Still not impressed. It was ok, but I'd like to be impressed. I think I'll pick up a (wider) Rival or Rival SL and try it for comparison...

mtbr member
    Id give the rsl a chance. I got it for Christmas and took my old rival off. Man whata difference. My seatbones used to get real uncomfortable during rides in certain positions a lot, and since my new saddle, it rarely happens. Love the saddle!

Mud Boy
    Nov 2004

BG seats on all

even the non Specialized cross bike.06 Rival SL on mtb, 06 Alias on road, & 07 Avatar gel on cross bike. I'm a 143, and no more comfort issues. Might I add that I bought two new pair of BG shorts, pro bibs, and sport. I like the fit of the bib's, but the sport's are more comfortable on long rides, go figure.

The combo of the seat and shorts creates no issues on either 3 hour mtb ride's , or 4+ hour road rides.

Time to spend some big $$ on new shoes too.