dirt visionary

ATTN Specialized suspension guru's

Hey guys I am am noticing something while riding my 2011 sxtrail2..During high speed sections with lots of braking bumps I am noticing a way smoother and faster speed applying just enough brake to get to a sweet spot where the bike floats thru and gains speed. Anyways would adding more high speed compression essentially do the same or is it something else I may not understand?Just trying to understand a characteristic I have noticed,

TIA
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well, theoretically when you apply your brake you are somewhat locking up the suspension, slowing the suspension down from returning, even with FSR it still does this, just not as much as a true single pivot. So maybe your rebound is too fast?

Really depends on how fast you're actually going, What I've noticed on my dhx 5 coil is that the faster I ride, the faster I set my rebound. 2 clicks of rebound from full fast on a good day, otherwise usually 3-4 clicks from full fast. If you check out the world cup riders, their suspension is setup with stiff compression and fast rebound, but thats also because they are flying down those trails.

Could also just be in your head, if you're really into it, mtbing can really mess with your head.
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

Website
    http://all-mtn.com/

dirt visionary
    Speeds are approx 30mph and its definately not a fluke . Hit the same section of trail at angel fire alot and its a repeatable scenario..shock is rc4

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ok, yeah at 30mph I would have my rebound set between 2-4 clicks of rebound, play with it between there and see what happens. The problem with suspension setup is that you can set it up to handle 80% of the trail and it won't react as good to the other 20%. How does the bike react to the rest of the trail?

Try adding some clicks of compression and see what happens, but what you're experiencing I think is more related to rebound.
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

Website

dirt visionary
    Bike is dialed otherwise and while I can manage the beast in said section with brake applied to a degree thats not really enough to slow me down but enough to be noticed in the suspension. Because of this I am thinking the braking is stiffening up the suspension movement while still being active essentially slowing down the movement ..Kinda like when a single pivot locks up when brake is applied..or vpp stiffens up under pedaling

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
    Because of this I am thinking the braking is stiffening up the suspension movement while still being active essentially slowing down the movement ..Kinda like when a single pivot locks up when brake is applied..or vpp stiffens up under pedaling
    Exactly what I'm thinking. You just need to figure out whether its compression or rebound that you need to adjust. But if the bike is riding how it should on 80% of the trail, I would call it a win. You may end up adjusting something that will ruin the majority of the ride for one section of the trail.

Website

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I feel bad hijacking your thread but I have an urgent question regarding suspension and I cannot post a new thread because I don't have required 5 posts.

I have an sworks SJ 29 carbon FSR, I looked up in the manual and there are several suggested starting point recommendations for rebound and compression settings but none of the settings correspond with my fork or shock. My fork is Fox Factory F130 RLC but the settings given in the manual are only for shocks called RP23, TRIAD and RP2. Can someone explain this to me? Thank you

mtbr member
    You don't say what year, but 30 seconds of Googling found this: 2012 air charts. It mentions your fork in the bottom right.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The year is 2012 and yes I read this document previously, unfortunately it only lists the recommended air pressures which I do not need cause I can use AUTO SAG to set up air pressure. I am looking for suggested starting point recommendations for rebound and compression settings, which are listed on second page of the document you quoted but there is no F130 RLC fork there