mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Listen! Attention: All 2005 Stumpjumper Fsr Expert Owners

I noticed on Specialized's website, that the 2005 stumpjumper fsr expert comes with "Custom Shimano Hollowtech, Octalink XT Spline." If you look at the back of the crank, it will say FC-M540, which is Deore. Can anybody correct me on this? Did I make the mistake, or did Specialized? Or did we 05 stumpy expert owners get stumped?

This is what it says on the website: CRANKSET Custom Shimano Hollowtech, Octalink XT Spline.

Here is the link:http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...keTab=techspec

mtbr member
    I wondered the same thing... Even the BB in the Expert model is the crappy and heavy ES-BB30, which comes with bikes with an older Deore crankset. I upgraded to XT Hollowtech II right away, and so has Specialized also for year 2006...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    That doesn't bug me as much as the cranks do though, because it actually says that those are the BBs that is included witht the bike. Although, I wouldn't mind having the nicer stuff.

Does any body wonder why the model is not stamped on the crank arms, unlike all the rest of the cranks? If you do a search for FC-M540, you will find cranks that look like the same things we have, except that it says Deore on the crank arms and the largest chainring is black.

Did anyone buy the bike new, and have different cranks that came with them?
    Also, does anyone have a 2005 catalog or anything, that the specs are different than what is says for the link?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Turns out, that more than just the expert models are affected by this issue.
    I made a new thread. I couldn't delete this one, so please respond only at the new thread. Here is the link: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...90#post1767790
    Last edited by confuzshuz; 04-16-2006 at 01:26 PM.

ballbuster

Yeah, dunno where that is coming from...

... saying XT on there. This year's Deore level stuff has Octalink II spline, same as '03 XTs and LX. Older XTR uses Octalink1 splines, like the road stuff. The BBES30 is prolly not that much different than the XT BBES70 and 71. The XT BB was kinda heavy at like 260g, and I wouldn't be surprised if the new Deore was exactly the same thing. I'll bet the arms are not that dissimilar as well. Probably thicker and with steel rings, but plenty stiff and durable. If I was building a bike and didn't are about weight that much, I would consider a set.

They are good quality cranks, but I have no ideal what justifies the XT label.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    ... saying XT on there. This year's Deore level stuff has Octalink II spline, same as '03 XTs and LX. Older XTR uses Octalink1 splines, like the road stuff. The BBES30 is prolly not that much different than the XT BBES70 and 71. The XT BB was kinda heavy at like 260g, and I wouldn't be surprised if the new Deore was exactly the same thing. I'll bet the arms are not that dissimilar as well. Probably thicker and with steel rings, but plenty stiff and durable. If I was building a bike and didn't are about weight that much, I would consider a set.

They are good quality cranks, but I have no ideal what justifies the XT label.
    Oh, I agree that they are good cranks. Just the fact that Specialized has them as XT is what bugs me. I thought about the possibility that these are just the older versions of the XT, but if they where, then The model number would be something like FC-M7##, as opposed to FC-M540. The whole line of 500 series, I think, are Deore. When I bought my bike I thought that it came with the XT cranks, and I think so do most most shops.

btw...I'm trying to move the continuation of this thread at another thread. It turns out that other models of the stumpy have this issue. I couldn't edit or delete this thread, so I made a new one. All future posts, please continue at this link: Important: Attention All 2005 Stumpjumper Owners
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Double post deleted...
    Last edited by TXNavy; 04-16-2006 at 05:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Hey, before you go charging down the wrong path, some of the crankarms used by Specialized are "XT custom for Specialized." The numbers may not match up to what's available aftermarket or OEM elsewhere.

How do I know this? I didn't know this about my base 2004 Epic, so I went and bought some XT crankarms for it. While my OEM crankarms don't say XT, and I'm pretty sure they have different numbers, they're identical in all important aspects. Yes, I have the same series BB that you do, but the crankarms are XT.

Anyway, its worth asking Specialized or researching elsewhere. Also, some Shimano numbers used to be XT or XTR...they shift over time...

If your crankarms are the same ones in the picture from the Specialized website you posted, then they're most likely XT. This is all far less troubling to me than the fact that my bottom bracket wasn't faced at all during assembly, and had lots of flashing. I went through a whole lot of teflon tape thinking it was just the chainring bolts!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for the input TXNavy.
    I am near certain that the cranks that I have are Deore, I did some research on them, and found near identical cranks, only difference is the color of the largest chainring and the "Deore" logo. These are the same ones in the pictures.

You're right about the numbers though. The change models usually have different numbers. However, they usually stick with the same first number (500,700, 900 series), which differentiates the levels (deore, lx,xt,xtr). I really don't think that these were the previous XT cranks either. I feel that the numbers do prove it though.

I've emailed specialized already, but have not received a response. I think I will call shimano as well, just to see what they have to say about the "Custom" components for specialized.

look at this link: http://www.bikesmart.com/index.cfm?m....99&StartRow=1
    This look fairly close to the ones on the 2005 stumpys. I wonder why they took the name out?
    Again, I still feel that the numbers show it all. Even dealers and other websites claim the same thing, that the bikes come with XT. But these are indeed Deore. I gotta go to the shop and ask them about it
    But this is why I brought up here. I wanted some input.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    PLEASE, NO MORE POSTS HERE. CONTINUE AT THIS THREAD:Important: Attention All 2005 Stumpjumper Owners