mtbr member
    May 2005

Argghh...I can't find a Stumpjumper! Help!

First off, great site everyone! I'm just getting back into the mountain biking scene and can't seem to locate the bike I've been set on for a few weeks now so I thought some of you might be able to help me out.

Does anyone know if any shops are carrying the '06 line of Specialized, if any? I'm looking for a stumpjumper hardtail and my local shop (NorCal area) told me that the '05s are all sold out everywhere and the '06s won't be in until mid September. I'm confused because I was just reading that the '06 Stumpjumper is already in certain shops?

I want to buy now and don't want to wait another month and a half. I'd take an '05 or an '06 if any shops are carrying them.

Thanks,
    Chris

dragonfly
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrex
    First off, great site everyone! I'm just getting back into the mountain biking scene and can't seem to locate the bike I've been set on for a few weeks now so I thought some of you might be able to help me out.

Does anyone know if any shops are carrying the '06 line of Specialized, if any? I'm looking for a stumpjumper hardtail and my local shop (NorCal area) told me that the '05s are all sold out everywhere and the '06s won't be in until mid September. I'm confused because I was just reading that the '06 Stumpjumper is already in certain shops?

I want to buy now and don't want to wait another month and a half. I'd take an '05 or an '06 if any shops are carrying them.

Thanks,
    Chris

GOod luck

try ebay

Dirtytail
    Aug 2005
    The bike shop I go to ordered a '06 Hardrock for my wife. From what I understand, the new models are already out. If you can assemble it, I'm think they could have it sent to you. The shop is Old Town Bikes, in Tacoma, WA. Good luck.

mtbr member
    I don't think you're going to find a new Stumpy yet. The two specialized dealers near me have '06 Hardrocks and Rockhoppers already, but said the higher end bikes won't be coming in until mid-september or october. They have a few '05 Stumpy's in stock or available to order, but only in the smaller sizes.

You're best bet is to put your money down on one now, so when they do get one, you'll have first dibs.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I was curious to see the '06 stumpjumer so I went to the Specialized website....they have a section for '06 bikes, but the stumpy wasn't there....I'm guessing it hasn't been released yet.

A couple months ago I purchased an '04 stumpy and it was VERY difficult to find...no LBS's had any left and the Specialized wharehouses were also out.

So, I got on the Specialized website, looked up all retailers and started calling them...I finally found one that still had an '04 in stock. I had to drive 2 hours to get it, but it was well worth it...plus, I got a discount because it was an '04.

mtbr member
    Just got back from my LBS, and they said they can order the '06 stumpies and Enduros now. According to their inventory sheet from Specialized, there's still '05 stumpies left too.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Try SuperGo

Try contacting SuperGo www.supergo.com

They are the largest retailer of Speicalized in the US (SuperGo is owned by Performance). I know they recently announced that they are going to stop carrying Specialized.. but I don't know when that will be.. It's worth a shot calling them up.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks everyone for the replies. My LBS had the pamphlet with all '06 specialized bikes and I got a brief look at the Stumpjumper. From a layman's perspective, the main differences noted include a newer and better fork (I believe 90mm instead of 80 mm) and minor cosmetic changes. That beautiful "chrome" color (dream?) is available for the stock Stumpy as well.

My LBS said he would call me when the '06s arrive (between Sept. 15 and 30th) and guaranteed me a price of $1299. Do you think I could do better? I'm not too educated on the profit margins with these bikes so I was hoping someone could give me an idea of what I should expect to pay.

Also, do you guys think that these improvements are worthy of waiting for the '06 or should I hunt down an '05 at a bigger discount?

Thanks again,
    Chris

mtbr member
    I just got a 2005 FSR Expert 120 that was marked down $300, then another 10% off at Supergo today ... their are some pretty good deals on '05 bikes right now.

Ah yes, the summer stock shortages. This is pretty typical for a lot of bikes this time of year as the manufacturers change over their manufacturing to the new models. It's only going to get worse. If you really want an 05, your shop can talk to their specialized rep who could make some calls around his district (and possibly call other reps) to get one for you. That had to be done when I bought my 03 stumpy fsr in MARCH of 03. Shop promised me a bike they didn't have and Specialized didn't have. After I paid my deposit and they tried ordering the bike, they tried to get me to switch models. HA!

They usually release the low-end stuff first, and slowly trickle up to the high end stuff. Some of the high end stuff probably won't become available until November or maybe later.