Class Clown

Anyone running 120mm fork on their 26" Rockhopper?

Getting a new fork that can adjust to 120mm and curious as to how it would run or if it's even advisable.

Class Clown
    Ok well any opinions on this will I be putting my frame at risk?

Stock travel for this bike is 100mm.

mtbr member

Re: Anyone running 120mm fork on their 26" Rockhopper?

I have an '11 Rockhopper outfitted with a Fox 120mm fork. It formerly had a low grade stock fork and a rigid fork, so this was a terrific upgrade. Rode it for months with no issues, and I do a lot of drops to flat in my riding, both in the urban setting and on the trail.

It slackened it up a bit, and raised the bars a touch, but for me those were welcome changes. I would do it again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I've got a 2010 Rockhopper and swapped out the stock 100mm Rockshox Dart 3 with a 120mm Rockshox SID RLT Ti. I've been super happy with the change. Stiffness is way up going from 28mm to 32mm stanchions and from a quick release skewer to a 15mm thru-axle.

I haven't noticed any adverse effects with the extra 20mm of travel and axle-to-crown distance. It did slacken out the head tube angle by about a degree to 69 degrees and also extended the wheel base by a bit. Both were welcome changes for me as it made the bike that much more stable in rough terrain and when the speeds pick up. The extra 20mm of suspension is also nice when you're going through a rock garden or over some gnarly roots.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    You should measure the actual axle to crown of the fork you have now and compare it to whatever fork you want to get at what setting. I found with my original 100mm fork that a 120mm X-Fusion was only 10mm longer @ 120mm. In addition, the X-fusion appears to have more offset at the crown with that axle closer to the stanchions...thus 120mm wouldn't really be any slower. I could easily run the fork just a lil more plush to make up the difference if I wanted, which is kind of a nice advantage of going 120mm.

Class Clown
    Will do. Original fork was a Dart 3 I now have a Recon Gold Air fork set at 100mm but I can remove a spacer and make it 120

Class Clown
    Well went ahead with the change and got a ride in today. A bit of a different feel, definitely enjoy the rocky downhill a bit more. Released a smidge of air here and there without any bottom out issues. Left plenty of space when I cut the steerer so I can move the bars up and down. Have to mess with the setup more and get in a couple more rides before I can give a final verdict.