mtbr member

Anyone run a xtr 970 crank on a demo 7?

I have an 08 Demo 7 and I have come across an xtr crank I was thinking of putting on it. I am worried that the crank arms are going to hit the seat stays. I would just set it up but it still needs a bottom bracket. So I thought I would ask before I bought a bb only to find that the crank doesn't fit. Thanks for any help.
    Ben
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

adamant
    Sep 2006
    not 100% certain but...

specs on SBC website for 2088 Demo 7-1 says: 73mm shell

so it should work as XC-style crankarms fit 68 and 73mm wide BB shells. no-go on a 83mm DH BB shell.

but...if all 3 rings are in good shape, did you consider selling it, replacing w/a DH crank, and pocketing the change?

if the crankarms are 175....too long for that bike => sell the XTR for sure!

mtbr member
    I cam across the arms on ebay a while back. I think i got a good price, but I can't remember. They are 170mm and I bought them specifically for a dh bike or a jump bike. I know they should fit, they just look like it will be a tight fit. I could pull the bb off of another bike to test it, just trying to avoid extra work. My demo has a dh crank on it now with one of those weird issis/external bearing bb.
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!