mtbr member
    Mar 2012

anyone run a dropper post on your Epic?

I see some benefits, depending on the terrain. I just picked up a 2014 Epic expert carbon and I noticed that one of the Scalpel models had a dropper post. Anyone have any thoughts? If I got one could the wiring be internal?
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donn12 View Post
    I see some benefits, depending on the terrain. I just picked up a 2014 Epic expert carbon and I noticed that one of the Scalpel models had a dropper post. Anyone have any thoughts? If I got one could the wiring be internal?
    I don't think there's a 27.2 dropper post on the market yet..
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '12 Roubaix Expert pimped

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have seen an internal routed 27.2 on a Specialized pro's bike but it does not look like it has been released yet.

anyone run a dropper post on your Epic?-conrad-stoltz-specialized-sworks-epic-world-cup-wc-2014-squirt-lube-clif-bar.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    KS Lev makes a 27.2 but not w/ internal routing of cable. I put a 30.9 on my 2012 S Works Epic with a Fox 120mm fork and the bike is just an incredible trail bike. The ability to rail turns at full mind blowing speeds and stick the wheels to the ground is soooo exhilarating, to say nothing of the absolute control w/ drops.
    My size L bike weighed 22.3 lbs stock with tubes and my Frog Ti pedals installed, and increased only to 23.7 lbs with the KS dropper post, the heavier Fox fork and 2.35 Nobby Nics w/ Snakeskin sidewall protection (750 gm tires but need bigger knobs and larger air volume at very low pressure for our extremely rugged terrain), tubeless with Stans, and after converting to SRAM XX1 drivetrain.
    I will never ride w/o a dropper post again. It rivals the introduction of suspension forks in my opinion.
    I would highly recommend you go for it. You will not only corner faster you will enjoy your riding more every time you go out. I find myself hoping for sections where I can drop the saddle on every trail. :-)
    I just look forward to the day when the lever is in a perfect ergonomic position for the thumb, so you don't have to pull the thumb off the bar to get to it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Gravity Dropper makes 27.2 post. They are not the best looking post, but they are probably the most reliable dropper post out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Thats why i bought a 2013 modal.. Between the dropper post and a 120 fork this bike is a ripping trail machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails anyone run a dropper post on your Epic?-img_5860%5B1%5D.jpg  

There's always next year.
    Another guy running one, and loving it for exactly the reasons stated above. Did the external routing option found on (at least the '13s--under the top tube) go away on the '14 models?

Love how you can almost have the best of both worlds with the dropper on this frame. You can still be an XC rocket with the post up, but then should you run into technical stuff, I feel much more comfortable. I'm hitting stuff faster and cleaner than I was on my previous ride which had 140mm travel F&R. No body will mistake the bike for an Enduro, but for me, in my hands, its almost a perfect bike.

anyone run a dropper post on your Epic?-img_1921.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I purchased a drop seat post for my Enduro and hesitated to put it on my Epic. I still think it would be fun on the Epic but then again…. The beauty of the Epic is that it is 'set it and forget it'. I want minimal buttons on my Cross Country bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Has anybody noticed that they are faster with the dropper post? I'm sure it is more fun but wondering if the weight is worth it for a race situations.

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heath27 View Post
    Has anybody noticed that they are faster with the dropper post? I'm sure it is more fun but wondering if the weight is worth it for a race situations.
    Personal disclaimer: There are racers/riders out there that can clean crap with a seat post way, way up. I can't.

I think it depends on what "race situations" are for your local/regular courses. If you have lots of non-techinal, flowing single-track, you may not notice that much of a benefit. However, if you've got technical single-track with steep descents, I would think its worth it (my Strava log backs up that statement in my case). You do have to remember you're still on an XC race bike though-- for me, the dropper post allows me to get in 'over my head' much faster/easier than otherwise; its great way to improve skills, but I could see in a race where you are burned out/tired how that could spell disaster quickly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdev1 View Post
    KS Lev makes a 27.2 but not w/ internal routing of cable. I put a 30.9 on my 2012 S Works Epic with a Fox 120mm fork and the bike is just an incredible trail bike. The ability to rail turns at full mind blowing speeds and stick the wheels to the ground is soooo exhilarating, to say nothing of the absolute control w/ drops.
    My size L bike weighed 22.3 lbs stock with tubes and my Frog Ti pedals installed, and increased only to 23.7 lbs with the KS dropper post, the heavier Fox fork and 2.35 Nobby Nics w/ Snakeskin sidewall protection (750 gm tires but need bigger knobs and larger air volume at very low pressure for our extremely rugged terrain), tubeless with Stans, and after converting to SRAM XX1 drivetrain.
    I will never ride w/o a dropper post again. It rivals the introduction of suspension forks in my opinion.
    I would highly recommend you go for it. You will not only corner faster you will enjoy your riding more every time you go out. I find myself hoping for sections where I can drop the saddle on every trail. :-)
    I just look forward to the day when the lever is in a perfect ergonomic position for the thumb, so you don't have to pull the thumb off the bar to get to it.
    Easy +1. I also have a 2012 Epic with a KS Lev 150m post and 120mm lefty fork. Great bike. I got a single speed a few years ago. It was not a big deal to give up gears or rear suspension but after two rides it had a dropper post too. It is a little like chap stick. Once you start you won't go back.

There is supposed to be a KS 27.2 post and there is the gravity dropper 27.2. To get internal routing you'll have to drill a hole in your frame and void the warranty.
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Heath27 View Post
    Hey Heath, I am descending faster than before I got the dropper post for sure. Am keeping up with the faster guys on descents that used to drop me. Last Sunday I completely laid off the brakes on a blind downhill turn and came upon a big dip at the start of the uphill that surprised me. Didn't see it fast enough to spring off the first jump, clear the dip and double it. Ended up flat landing the upper section of the second hill/jump. W/o the seatpost all the way down I would have crashed at speed, but with it I was able to ride it out just fine. That's the confidence that allows you to lay off the brakes and go screaming fast. What a rush!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

The epic would be strictly a race bike for me. I'm usually riding my enduro which has a dropper post and I love it. I didn't think about getting a little over my head on this bike with a dropper post but it does sound like the bike can still handle it.

I guess the other thing is that I race for fun and a dropper makes every ride more fun, so why not race with a dropper post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Got the KS LEV 27.2. I thought I could route it internally even though it's external around the collar. Turns out this is not possible and there's not even a neat place to route the cable. Am I missing something or is the only option full external routing with Zip ties? (Drilling a hole is not an option!)