mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Anyone put an RP23 on an Epic???

I am very curious to see if it is possible to fit an RP23/CTD etc to an Epic?
    Has anyone ever done this??
    If so what was it like?
    Thanks
    Ti ML Lover

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Yep, its been done! I'm thinking of doing it myself actually...

2012 S-Works Epic 29er

mtbr member
    I'm running a 2013 fox ctd on my 2013 epic comp carbon.It all come s down to personal prefference.I dont like the 'knock' from the rear brain.With the ctd the travel is more plush and you dont get that snap back like you get from the brain.Travel feels closer to the stumpjumper than the epic.

mtbr member
    Also saved about 120 grams and dont have to go through those frequent specialized servicing that cost me around $130 every time.I ride a lot so over a year that all ads up huge.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thank you for that
    Can you give me the details for that CTD shock please tune stroke etc
    .Did you buy it off the shelf and simply bolt on to the frame?
    Thanks again
    Ti ML Lover

mtbr member
    Sorry for the delay,as in post above i asked my local fox dealer for a low volume 2013 fox cdt shock and to fit a large volume air sleeve to it.The one i got is pretty much off the shelf.It doesn't have the trail adjust like the other rider.I'm riding the shock in trail mode 99% of the time.Sorry the length you need is 7.5X 2
    For the front end of the shock i just used everything from the brain shock.For the rear i needed some extra bushings as the rear from the brain shock won't work but your fox dealer will have everything.I will try get all the codes as well as post some pics later.
    Cheers
    Chillie

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks. thanks, thanks very helpful
    Ti ML Lover

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by VTgrinder View Post
    I am very curious to see if it is possible to fit an RP23/CTD etc to an Epic?
    Has anyone ever done this??
    If so what was it like?
    Thanks
    Why would you want to do that? The brain shock is dope! Yes, it requires a little more attention but Ferrari's require that.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Your right.....I agree that the Brain is very good but there are limitations when the track is very smooth very technical and back to smooth. Lots of that in NZ!
    Having the Brain on firm makes it an excellent climber and puts the power down however its not so controlled through the rough stuff. Turning the Brain back 2-3 clicks makes it less effecient and maybe a Propedal shock would then climb better overall.
    I just want to try it cause.....
    A Fox CTD can give me 99% of the effeciency climbing of the Brain (seated) but I can open it up quickly and easily for the rough stuff and have a fully active bike.
    Bottomline I love the Epic and the way it rides but always love to play!!
    Oh and the maintanance cost and weight savings has to be a small advantage.
    I have a couple of other FSR bikes with RP23's and they pedal incrediby well.
    I am going to try it with the EPIC just to satisfy my curiosity!
    Ti ML Lover

mtbr member
    I agree 100% with VT.Having owned every version of the epic since they started producing them i know the brain very well.Every year you hear the same story about the new epic.
    'this year the shock is more reliable'
    'this year the transition from firm to open is so much better'
    etc etc etc.
    The advantage of the brain is also it's downfall.So often you here it is so great because it climbs like a hardtail but there are times the brain also goes downhill like a hardtail.With the way the shock is designed with the brain away from the shock there is always going to be that delay from strike to open.The transition has got better over the years but only when you put on the newer fox do you see how behind the brain really is.I tell everyone i'm just riding a 2014 Specialized.One where they have included the brain into the shock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone put an RP23 on an Epic???-cid_1d177b0174fb4e8da9c5ab374e030c39%40stringbeanhp.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Mmmmm with the CTD now having the capability of remote lockout on the bar you may indeed be right that you have the next generation 2014 Epic!!
    What I love about the Epic is the frame Geometery, it just works so well as a 29er!!
    Ti ML Lover

mtbr member
    Just a few more piocs of my current baby.Not bad for a comp carbon.I had a s works HT 29er and just took all the parts across including the 90mm fork.Bike rides like a dream.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone put an RP23 on an Epic???-cid_cc205028b6724030b0c3f9579b7c5604%40stringbeanhp.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thank you
    Very, very nice....especially the weight!!
    Pics are helpful too..
    Ti ML Lover

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I would also love to know the exact sizes of the Fox CTD tht I need and also any extra parts, bushings, etc.
    BTW- where are you located and what shop did you use?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Ok I'm convinced. 11 epic, wait until the brian fails and then Float ctd time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    My biggest complaint is I can blow through the travel on the small volume stock brain shock with any kind of hit. If I run the brain on full and up the pressure a ton, it helps the bottom out but sucks the rest of the time. A CTD with a little progressive push tune just may be the ticket! Anyone notice if it controls bottom out better?
    Enjoy every ride!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    So what tune are you running and do you feel its adequate.