mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Anyone know what seat stays will work on OLD FSR MAX

Backbone frame? I have a 1997 FSR frame, I am using an old MRP clamp adapter (22mm holes) then have to use an A2Z adapter 22 to 51mm, then an adapter 51 to 74mm post mount. It should work fine, but just a lot of extra clutter. IIRC there were several seatstays that were interchangable into the early 2000's and had disc brake tabs on them.

Does anyone have that technical information and/or a source where I might beable to find one?

Here is what the seatstay looks like

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I think the range of seatstays that fit could be HUGE, as well as the different models of specialized full suspension bikes. Browsing this forum, here is someones 2007 a closeup that I swear looks like it would bolt right onto my rig? (along with several others, he just happen to post a closeup.

Any help would be much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Are you wanting to stick with the "stock" Spec. parts. Cuz you know what I'm thinking, right?
    Hey Rod, I swear, I am not stocking you, lol.
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride, she fights MMA.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by skip canfield
    Are you wanting to stick with the "stock" Spec. parts. Cuz you know what I'm thinking, right?
    Risse Racing

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Renovatio
    Risse Racing

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Skip....LOL. I know what your thinking.

I am just trying to figure out if I want to sink another $200 into this thing. It is becoming the never ending money hole. Here is my problem. As it sits, I am not sure I like having all the adapters on there (it may not bug me so much when I get the whole thing put together). Then I think about the single A2Z adapter, but even that requires an IS to Post mount adapter, so then I think I could find a seatstay off a newer Spec, but then I wonder to myself "if I did find one, how much would it cost anyway? $100, more?", then I am only $100 away from the Risse. Then I think to myself, "well, you can get a discount on the chainstay of you buy them as a kit, you get another $50 off", I then noticed that they make a Piggyback style rear shock that has some really interesting measurements (it says it doesn't work on my FSR, but I sent them an email, I have no idea why it wouldn't, fit wise). So then I start to think "crap, if I buy all 3, I think I get a discount again".

Then I am to the point of purchasing a new/used frame and start to get really bad buyers remorse. Arggggh!!!!!

If I decide that it really does bug me (all the adapters) and I decide NOT to get the Risse or another seatstay. Another option is to run my old Hayes HFX caliper (and paint it white to match the front Stroker trail and levers) and use the Stroker Trail lever. I already found that they use the same fluid so that wouldnt be an issue, but I wonder if there are any other issues? If I did run the Hayes HFX rear, I would ONLY have to use the 1 MRP adapter and nothing else. But I would also have to put a 7" disc on the back, because it will only work with an 8 or 7"

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    http://www.bikepedia.com/Images/imag...SR%20Elite.jpg
    Rod, is it just my eye sight gettin bad or does it look like the Elite has the disc tabs not an adaptor, check it out let me know what ya think.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Skip, sure looks like it. It also may just be a specialized "Shark fin" adapter, it is really hard to tell

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I was just thinking that if a guy could get one of those it may be cheaper than a Risse part.
    If indeed it does have tabs and not an adaptor.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    looking at it closer, I am pretty sure it is using a Specialized Sharkfin

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    crap, for $200 maybe I will just for the Risse (dang, thats almost the same amount I sold Alvin the FSR MAX frame and brand new A2Z link for). It might be worth just the piece of mind. I sent them an email asking if they do it in Polished, the black would rub off way to fast for me and drive me nuts.

I have a TON of Bike stuff and other stuff that is going on ebay as soon as I get my bike built and back from vacation, so $200 probably won't be that big of a deal

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rodH
    crap, for $200 maybe I will just for the Risse (dang, thats almost the same amount I sold Alvin the FSR MAX frame and brand new A2Z link for). It might be worth just the piece of mind. I sent them an email asking if they do it in Polished, the black would rub off way to fast for me and drive me nuts.

I have a TON of Bike stuff and other stuff that is going on ebay as soon as I get my bike built and back from vacation, so $200 probably won't be that big of a deal
    There ya go. The black doesn't wear off to bad Rod, there's only one spot on my stuff that has worn a bit. I've had this rear set up for 5 or 6 riding seasons now, no probs. Go for it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    here is a picture of a polished one

and an oreo version

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    That polished one would look good on your rig. With the Risse stays you could run that 8" rotor out back if you wanted. Oh and with the seat stays you have the option to adjust your HA via 6 bolts (3 on each side) . If you need I'll take a pic of that for ya. Go for it Rod.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Skip, you seem pretty familiar with the Risse stuff. Any ideas why they would list the Jupiter 5 as "N/A" for our frames, yet the 5R and 7R are listed?

My only thought is that the piggy back could get in the way? But if alvins HUGE Fox DHX works, I would think that would be a non issue. I sent over an email yesterday, but I wouldn't expect to hear back til maybe Monday. I don't like the separate reservoir on the 5r and 7r.

http://www.risseracing.com/coilshocks.shtml#jupiter5

kind of interesting becaue they have some long strokes for how short the i2i is. EX- for the 6.5" i2i, I could get 6.56" travel and with the 6.25" i2i get 6.1 travel".

I do like the polished seat stay, but still not 100% sold on getting it. I hate decisions like this.
    Last edited by rodH; 12-25-2009 at 03:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rodH
    Skip, you seem pretty familiar with the Risse stuff. Any ideas why they would list the Jupiter 5 as "N/A" for our frames, yet the 5R and 7R are listed?

My only thought is that the piggy back could get in the way? But if alvins HUGE Fox DHX works, I would think that would be a non issue. I sent over an email yesterday, but I wouldn't expect to hear back til maybe Monday. I don't like the separate reservoir on the 5r and 7r.

http://www.risseracing.com/coilshocks.shtml#jupiter5

Piggy back interference I believe was the issue when I was looking at them. Kevin discouraged me from the J5 that I was looking at. Ended up with the Astro-5.
    Rod, I would call Kevin directly, I never had much luck with e-mailing them. Plus I think if can talk to Kevin you might get quicker service.
    Let me help you with your decision, "you will def. be glad you did it".

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    thanks for the reply. I really don't need a new rear shock, was just kind of panic'd since I cant seem to find my rear shock any more (coilover 6.5" i2i is pretty rare these days). I just now realized that it is fully servicable, so if anything does go wrong, I can have it repaired. Duh

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm not stalking you either Rod...
    Anyway, my vote is for the Risse Racing seat stays! Eventually, i'm gonna do the same for my MAX frame and will probably move the current rear triangle to my FSR Comp (which I plan on eventually getting a single crown fork for and building it as a lesser travel, more XC/AM oriented bike). It is a lot of money though and definitely hard to justify.
    Risse's shocks are also really nice looking, but pretty damn expensive. I originally was looking at one of those but just couldn't justify the $400 price tag. One of the main reasons I went with the DHX is because I got it used off of eBay for a great price ($150 plus shipping!). Honestly, if money were no object, I think I woulda gone with the Jupiter 5R or 7R. The reservoir on the shock is kind of a restriction with my current setup. Because of the size of the reservoir, I can't use all of the possible mounting positions of the Risse Hex link. Hmm...come to think of it, maybe i'll try out that Manitou shock as well...
    Anyway, I agree with Skip...if you have questions it's definitely better to just try and call Risse and ask for Kevin directly. He's a nice guy and very helpful with questions, etc. That is, if you don't end up just rebuilding your current shock...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Alvin, I can't figure out what to do, I will probably just run it like this for a while and if it drives me crazy, I might do the Risse thing. I just wish it was a little cheaper, not that the workmanship or materials aren't worth it, but putting another $200 into my bike just to make that area look "cleaner" might be a little much, but it is very tempting and I can't decide. The other problem is that I already have the bearing kits for my current set up, those are $50x2. If I didn't already have them and wanted to upgrade, it would be a no brainer (since the Risse comes with the bearing kit anyway).

What is it about human psychology that never lets us be happy with what we got (for very long)?

regarding the rear shock, I think I am going to keep it, it works great right now, I was just worried because when I started looking for a 6.5" i2i coilover in case mine ever blew out, I couldn't find one. Then I remembered that these things are fully servicable, so I will keep mine and if it ever blows, get it fixed. (although if I could find one like yours in a 6.5" i2i for the price you paid, that would be crazy to pass up).

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Another option, my dad has one of these bike (pic below) and he has literally less than 1 mile on it (you know how that goes). When I look at it carefully, it looks like it would fit my bike, it comes with disc tabs already.

I also happen to have a spare seatstay for my FSR that is red powder coated (never been mounted). Hmmmmmmm? I wonder if that swap would work? without actually doing any measuring or actually switching out, it sure looks like it. Anyone know for sure? If it actually works, I am not sure I want another color (red) added to the bike, but I could always strip it and polish it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It's worth a shot...or at least some further measurement. I know the early Enduro shared the same rear linkage, so I imagine those might work but I'm not sure they came with the disc mounts. I'd take some measurements of the triangle from your dad's bike. Never know...might just work...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hey Rod...this is the rear triangle you need to find...off the Palmer Limited Edition FSR:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Specialized-FS...01027001r20229
    Unfortunately, that'd be much easier said than done probably...
    I tried copying the pics off of the listing so I could just post the pics, but it wouldn't let me. Interesting thing I noticed from the pics...the chainstays on that rear triangle aren't asymetrical like the ones on our bikes. They both run straight back from the main pivot. I guess since the bike was intended to be run with a single chainring it doesn't need the additional clearance from the "kink" in the right side chainstay? Interesting. I wonder if Specialized has any of these tucked in the corner of a warehouse somewhere?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    dang, thats exactly what I need. It says NO ONE bid on the frame. I tried to "contact seller" but it wont let me, arrrghhh. My guess since NO ONE bought the frame is that he sold it off of ebay or it just slipped between the cracks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Alvin, Look at this frame. I swear there are a lot of these specialized bikes where the rear ends are interchangable. I just wish there was an expert in here who knew for sure:

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Rod...a few months ago, when I was first shopping for a MAX frame, I came across a listing on SF craigslist of one of those Palmer Limited edition bikes for sale. It was for a complete bike, but it looked to have the regular MAX rear triangle on it. Musta gotten swapped on somewhere along the way (perhaps he broke the original one?). Also saw one on US ebay around that same time that had the right, mango colored, rear triangle with the disc bosses. Unfortunately, I don't remember what they were asking for them though and they're definitely not on there now...

As for that last pic. That's a earlier Big Hit, right? If it's the one with the 24" rear wheel, i've seen another post where someone used a Big Hit rear triangle on a MAX frame. The main lower pivot must be the same since I believe they said they had to use a special linkage to use it on the MAX frame (I think they said the custom linkage was actually made by Specialized, too?!). It's in this thread: Older FSR swing arm? Aftermarket?
    Based on the pics in that thread, that swingarm looks to be the same as the white one you posted. Problem is, I believe those can only run a 24" wheel. BUT, if they used the same lower main pivot dimensions on the Big Hit, perhaps they used the same pivot dimensions on the other models of that same vintage....like the Enduro...