Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The Other Dude

Anyone have a 66 RC2 ETA on their SX Trail?

I was wondering if anyone had one of these on their SX Trail? I see the new ones come with 180mm of travel, but after talking to marzocchi on the phone, they said they changed the crown so it has the same dimensions as a 170mm fork.

I was wondering how the ETA was for climbing, as i do a good bit on my SXT and dont want to lose its great climbing ability. I am going back and forth between the the Fox VAN RC2 and the 66 RC2 ETA, but I am leaning towards the Marzocchi. What do you guys think about the fork? With the ETA will it still be a great climber? I am running a 150mm specialized E150 fork on my SX Trail now, and it climbs great, i dont even need the travel limiter, but it is an air fork, and i want to have coil and oil on both ends. Thanks in advance.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I've been running a 66sl since the beginning of the year on mine. 180mm-140mm via ata. I use it for every thing from full on dh shuttles to xc rides. I find it suits my needs excellently in every way except for the ata nob takes for ever to adjust from 180 to 140. Its become a chore and some what of a pain in the ass to stop and turn for a minute every time the terrain changes. If that helps I'll post pick tomarro when its day light.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I have a 06 66 with ETA on my 06 SXT and love it. Works about as well as you would expect. Plush on the DH/improved geometry on the climb.

The Other Dude
    How is the ETA to operate? Is it quick? What exactly does it do?
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    All you do is reach down and turn this lever about 20 degrees and this activates the ETA. Then you push down on the fork and it lowers down and stays. I forget how much it actually lowers either way better than at full travel. At this point you still have about 20mm of travel to work with. When you are done climbing you return the lever to the original position and the fork raises to full travel. Very easy! If you like to climb on your SXT like I do then this is almost a must have.

The Other Dude
    Will i have to get a different brake adapter for the post mount?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    What are you runnning now? Is it that Specialized fork? Yeah, if you dont have a 8 inch post mt. adapter you'll need one.

The Other Dude
    Ok cool, ill have to make sure i order up one of those also then if thats the route i decide to go, thanks!

Yeah, the fork I am running now is the specialized fork off of the Enduro SL. It sweet, but i want the feel of coil and oil on the front to match the back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    if you want a plush SC coil fork 66 is the only way to go!

mtbr member

ETA rocks

Very easy to use - one flip, squish, its on. one flip, back to normal. No twisting or winding up or down. Very, onthefly use. Mine is the 2006, 170mm very versitlile, great for long climbs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Other Dude
    Ok, so my next question is wheels. I have a Mavic 819 UST on the rear mated to a hope pro II hub, and i want to stay tubeless Here are my choices:

1. Keep the 819 on the rear, and get a matching 819/Hope Pro II for the front ($202 shipped)

2. Order New Mavic 823 UST's with Hope Pro II front and Rear Hubs ( i like the hope hubs!) and sell my Built 819 rear wheel ($433 for the wheelset minus what i get for my current rear wheel)

3. Order a new 823/Hope Pro II Front wheel, and keep my 819 on the rear until something happens to it, then replace it with an 823 ($212 shipped)

What do ya guys think?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I would go 823 all around. I like the better contact patch of the wider rim. If you are using anything wider than a 2.2 then 823 definately. I personally like the Sun Single Track rim with Stans. Works great. Cheap, wide, strong rim.

The Other Dude
    i went with hope pro II hubs front and rear and the 823s front and rear with DT Swiss DB spokes

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Very nice! you cant go wrong with that setup. What do you weigh? That should be a bomb proof wheelset!

The Other Dude
    I am weighing in between 165-170lbs now without gear, so am thinking that setup will be pretty bombproof for me, i read a bunch of reviews, and i think the 819s would have been fine, but i hear some great things from heavier guys about the 823's, and incase i ever decide to start going big, i know they are there for me. I figure that i have my epic for my lightweight bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Yeah I am only 155 without gear. Should be 10lbs. lighter. The bike just feels stiffer and more solid with the heavier duty wheels. I have mine down to 36lbs. with the 66 and its not bad to pedal.

The Other Dude
    nice, i am excited to get them here, last time i ordered from chain reaction, they had my wheel built and i had it at my door in 5 days, thats faster than some places here in the US!

The Other Dude
    Well, i got the wheels in, the fork on, and the bike back together....WOW! This thing is just so stable, and it soaks up everything. I found myself backtracking down some trails just to make sure some obstacles i was used to feeling in the way were still there. The combo of the wider rims and fork, really make the bike track nice. The ETA is a very nice feature to have, although the bike climbs great without using it also. I tried some steep climbs with it in both positions, and i was surprised. Right now i have a 60mm stem on the bike, but i think i am going to try it with a 90mm stem.

DemoDude was right, this fork makes you a better rider. it just goes over everything, and matching it with the Mavic 823's was the way to go.

The acid pedals are sweet....a nice pedal in-between the mallet and candy, the finish wears off on them super quick like the mallets, but they are pedals! The slightly larger platform is nice to have on a bike like this when compared to the candys, and i think i will just keep my mallets around for my demo.

Here are some pics of the build:

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Very Nice! I knew you would like the combo!

mtbr member
    Ahhhh, the new bling..... Glad you like the fork. Just wait, I have two words for you BREAK- IN. It will be like a red hot poker going through butter. Marzocchi RULES!!!
    I think I'm going to need some tissue.

mtbr member
    Btw, is that 180mm? Holy carp.
    I just went from a 70mm stem to a 50. I like it much better. I don't climb any worse with it and drops are much more controlled.
    Specialized bikes are long in the top tube and short in the chainstays so I thing going shorter with the stem is easier.

The Other Dude
    Thanks! Yup, that is 180mm, Marzocchi, said they changed the top crown, so it actually has the same measurement/geometry as the 06's with 170mm of travel. I could actually feel the fork getting smoother and smoother as i was riding. I cant wait until its fully broken in, I already think its super smooth, and the coil and oil feeling from the front and rear suspension is awesome. I may be like you and stick with the 60mm, or drop down to a 50, i will have to see. I cant wait until our track meet is over, i want to go out again!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Do an oil change once its broken in and it will be even smoother! I'm running a 45mm stem and it climbs fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Other Dude
    Is that an RCS Ti spring i spy on there?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Yup, thats your next upgrade! Contact

Toni Walbridge
    Black Sheep Cycles
    www.blacksheepcycles.com
    704-562-4168

For a good deal! It took a little while to get it but, great deal!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast