mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Anyone else have problems w/ Specialized/DT Swiss 330SL hub & Shimano HG61 cassette?

My bike is a 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert 29. I bought it new in April 2010 and it has about 400-500 miles on it. I recently tried to remove the Shimano HG61 12-36 cassette and had a VERY hard time getting it off. The DT Swiss 330SL hub has an aluminum freehub and the HG61 cassette has a steel carrier with each cog being supported only by it own thin base.

Anyone else have this problem?
    Any chance Specialized will warranty it since they built the bike this way?
    Is the 330SL hub based off one of DT's other hubs? There is no info on it on their website.
    Is a steel freehub body available for this hub?

Damage:

Last edited by arrover; 01-10-2011 at 07:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Your LBS might be able to have Specialized warranty it, which I would think they would if the cassette/freehub combo is that way from the factory. If they do it would be interesting what they do for a long term solution.

In any event I'd replace the freehub and then use a cassette with an aluminum spider that supports the rings (like the Shimano XT M770 or a SRAM PG980?). The force from the cassette will be evenly distributed onto the freehub.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yes, it is strange but Speialized did build these bikes like this from the factory. The Shimano HG61 is the only easily available, cheap 12-36 cassette that is available so I can understand them specing that part. I don't understand why they would go with a hub with and aluminum body for use with this cassette. I wouldn't have a problem stepping up to a XT or 990 casssette but they don't make those with a 36 tooth cog. I have found that the 36 is valuable since this bike is a 29er.

Does anyone know what hub the 330SL is based on? Is it similar to one of their other models? I mainly just want to know if a steel freehub body is available as a replacement. I'll probably just have to call them tomorrow.

mtbr member
    The problem is with the design of the Shimano freehub splines. They're too shallow. They damage alloy freehub bodies because of the force being concentrated into such a small area. It's not a coincidence that Shimano's own hubs use steel or titanium freehub bodies instead of aluminium ones.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16457548

With your DT hub you should be able to get a standard steel freehub body for it.

A workaround for aluminium freehub bodies is to insert straightened staples between the splines to try and stop the alloy freehub body being damaged.

Steel is Lighter?....SRAM XG999 Cassette

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Ride it and don't worry about it. It won't get worse than what already happened.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I exchanged emails with a really helpful guy at DT Swiss today. The 330SL is really a 370 hub. It is called the 330SL because it is has the aluminum freehub and is 40 grams lighter. The standard freehub on the 370 is steel. The steel freehub body can be ordered through bike shops from "QBP (part# FW1910) or BTI (part# DT-00215)".

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by arrover
    I exchanged emails with a really helpful guy at DT Swiss today. The 330SL is really a 370 hub. It is called the 330SL because it is has the aluminum freehub and is 40 grams lighter. The standard freehub on the 370 is steel. The steel freehub body can be ordered through bike shops from "QBP (part# FW1910) or BTI (part# DT-00215)".
    Good to know. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I personally wouldn't worry about it. The aluminum freehub body is to save weight over a steel body. Having it get notched like that will happen with literally every cassette out there, even if you use a XX cassette (It'll just notch in less places). There is nothing wrong with your situation, and no detriment to the performance of the hub or the bike. You can file down the rough spots a bit with a metal file and you'll be good to go again.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!