Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anyone else get a Futureshock top out clunk?

4K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  boomhauer 
#1 ·
Wondering if anyone else with the S140TA Futureshock fork (2010 SJ FSR Pro and S-Works frames) gets a topping out clunk while riding?

I am a few rides in on an unused 2010 FSR Pro and the fork seems to clunk a lot on rough terrain when it fully extends.ie going over roots, Is this normal? I have set up the fork according to the manual and tried playing with the settings a bit but can't get rid of the clunk.

Thanks for any feedback!

#5 ·
Both the jobs can be done as part of a regular service by specialized. Negative air adjustment makes a bit difference to how the forks perform and they can also add a 2nd Volume compensator which ramps up the fork towards end of travel. Top out bumper can also be done. Tell spec what the problem is and they can sort it with a couple of days turnaround.

#6 ·
I have no prob sending it to specialized, the 180 bucks it will cost is pretty steep but I can swallow it. What concerns me is if this alrayd happened with very few miles on the bike, I just hope I'm not in for a monthly rebuild on this thing. Yes I've seen the horror stories.

#8 ·
I had the same top out problem on my 2010 fork after less than a dozen rides. Unfortunately you have to send it back to Spesh through a Spesh dealer. That kinda sucks. Long story short, I had to send the fork back twice to get it working properly, but now it performs better than it ever did new.
So far it's outlasted any previous service interval and I've been hammering it quite hard, but I still fear consistancy is a problem with this fork.

#10 ·
Theres a high chance that the fork wasnt set up right from new. Apparently the 140 & 160 should be set up by Speci when ordering. If the bike has been bought "off the floor" in the shop then the gulp (negative chamber) wont have been set for the riders weight. If the rider is heavier than the factory setting then it will top out.
Setting the negative air chamber prevents this and having the 2nd VC added (comes as a spare with the shock when new) ramps up the fork towards end of travel for bigger hitters. Theres also two different top out bumpers available.
You can send your fork directly to speci you dont have to go through a dealer.
Check the manual for service frequency as this effects warranty.
As said previoulsy they have a fast direct turnaround of a couple of days so at most you should only be off the bike for a week at most.

#13 ·
If the Gulp isnt set correctly then the fork do cluck when they reach full extension.
Getting the gulp set to your riding weight (your weight in riding gear plus pack and water etc), should solve it. If there doing the gulp get them to add the 2nd VC as it improves the small bump sensitivity and makes the fork more progressive. The top out bumper change may also help but Ive not been able to find any info on it. Let us know how it performs after the mods.

#14 ·
Awesome, thanks again.
Yes Im a bit weighty too, 200-205ish

A bit more pregressiveness might be nice, as I've noticed the fork handles great but once it starts moving, it likes to blow through the travel pretty quickly. Though it does handle the rooty trails around here like crazy, roots that used to fire the ejection seat are now almost nonexistent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.