mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Anyone convert their 26" Epics to 27.5"?

I was looking at a sworks 2011 26"er Epic a couple months ago (trying to email the bikeshop for the specs). They were trying to let it go cheap since it was 26" and not until recently I came across the idea of converting such a bike to 27.5". Ive skimmed around the forums and found a lot of grey area about converting previous models of epic.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I just posted a pic of my '10 epic carbon a few threads down....here:
    Speci you better wake up.....

Also, check out the 650b/27.5 forums.
    But as a general rule, if the bike comes with fox forks, the front should be OK. carbon rear triangles will not fit. Some also people had issues with clearance with the rear tire rubbing the front derailleur. It really comes down to trying it out.
    '10 specialized epic comp carbon - 650b

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by marcymarc View Post
    I was looking at a sworks 2011 26"er Epic a couple months ago (trying to email the bikeshop for the specs). They were trying to let it go cheap since it was 26" and not until recently I came across the idea of converting such a bike to 27.5". Ive skimmed around the forums and found a lot of grey area about converting previous models of epic.

Any suggestions?
    Yeah, as I recall when I was swearching for which tears to convert there was something different from '10-'11 models that caused some fit issues with the carbon models, the rear triangle anyway. I think the models that still had the alum tri were good.

Ahhah! Found the post I was looking for!! There's other info in the thread too if you hadn't run across this one in your search:

my '10 specialized epic comp carbon 650b
    Last edited by JMac47; 04-16-2013 at 07:47 PM. Reason: typo
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thank you for the reply guys.
    Im waiting on a email back to hear which exact model it is and if they still have it. From looking at the archives on specialized website if its the sworks model from 2011 it has the carbon rear which you guys think will cause problems. In the mean time Ill keep researching. Thank you for the posts they look spot on for what I need. Even a couple were saying the 2011 worked.

Ill keep you guys posted!

NedwannaB

To be clear

Quote Originally Posted by marcymarc View Post
    From looking at the archives on specialized website if its the sworks model from 2011 it has the carbon rear which you guys think will cause problems. Even a couple were saying the 2011 worked.
    There is a lot of variances with years/rr tire fit, and just what 'fit' issues they have.

The 2011 carbon rr triangle "fits" 650B based on ljs info, with limited tire size needed to be used (i.e. can't use 2.3 Neo/Nev or 2.2 Wolverine etc..). Where as the '10 carbon rr does not. Now for some reason I think the '09 does? Not sure on that but mute point here given your frame being used.

Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    2011/2012 is best if you want an S Works, because the 2010 S Works won't fit 650b in the back but 2011/2012 will.
    The other variable I've seen on this conversion with different years of Alum frm/alum rr tri and Carbon frm/alum rr tri models is on whether they "fit 650B or not" is you may need to mod the shock travel with shim spacer washers within the air canister, and/or remove the rr cable stop on the back of the seat tube (installing a clamp on type if not going 1x on conversion) to keep from scrubbing. Some have had to, some others have not.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hello I've got a 2010 epic expert and I'm interested in trying this conversion but I've got the SID fork so it sounds like I'll have to swap this. Would I be better off getting a 26" fox fork with suitable clearance or could/should I get a 650B fork instead?

Thanks Paul

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Okay I got an email back. So i was mistaken. It was a specialized epic carbon comp 26. Which, from the sounds of things, is a good thing because it has the alum rear which is what people are saying fits 650b. The front fork is a RockShox Reba RLT so I will have to do some research to see if this fork is 650b compatable. If not, my old bike needs a fork upgrade so this may work out anyways.

The link for the model is below. LMK what you guys think.

Specialized Bicycle Components