mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Anyone checked out the SWAT bib shorts?

Pockets built in to the bibs for under a loose jersey. I like the idea. Never tried out their chamois though.

Specialized Bicycle Components

There's always next year.
    Saw that it finally showed up the website a few days ago: Specialized Bicycle Components

I got all excited when I first saw this show up last fall, but as I thought about it more...it looks very similar to wearing an XC style jersey over bibs-- which is what I typically wear most warm summer days. I guess if you're a loose jersey and shorts guy... different story.

I'm not quite sure what goes in the leg pockets... gel? cash? Not a location I want something bulky/pointy like keys or tools, personally. Also... if you're carrying extra water bottles in the back pockets... how warm to they get/how cold do you get? :-)

Longer, backcountry rides I'll still want a pack to carry stuff for those "just in case" moments, so even then, this wouldn't be a good help there.

With all that said, I could see if a majority of your rides are 3ish hours or so, close to civilization, and you like looser style of cycling clothing...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by padrefan1982 View Post
    Saw that it finally showed up the website a few days ago: Specialized Bicycle Components

I got all excited when I first saw this show up last fall, but as I thought about it more...it looks very similar to wearing an XC style jersey over bibs-- which is what I typically wear most warm summer days. I guess if you're a loose jersey and shorts guy... different story.

I'm not quite sure what goes in the leg pockets... gel? cash? Not a location I want something bulky/pointy like keys or tools, personally. Also... if you're carrying extra water bottles in the back pockets... how warm to they get/how cold do you get? :-)

Longer, backcountry rides I'll still want a pack to carry stuff for those "just in case" moments, so even then, this wouldn't be a good help there.

With all that said, I could see if a majority of your rides are 3ish hours or so, close to civilization, and you like looser style of cycling clothing...
    Egg-zactly. I really like wearing a 3/4 sleeve loose jersey and baggy shorts, some with more pockets than others. Seems like a perfect solution for rides like that where you need more than one bottle. But I wonder like you said how warm the bottle would get? Also Looks like a great place to put a vapur or platypus collapsible bottle. If you had one on your bike and one of those... could go all day.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I rode with a pair (bib + shorts) earlier this week and have to say they are really comfortable! The bib is lightweight, breaths well and the chamois is great. The shorts are also lightweight and appear nicely made. I'm still not sure just yet if I'd feel comfortable leaving my pack for really long rides but for most of my rides they seem good. I'll probably buy another pair/set.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    SO.... the latest and greatest innovation is... pockets?

Constantly expanding and pushing the frontier of technology, I like it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I bought a pair this week but it'll be another month before I get to try them out. For rides under three hours I can get away with one bottle in the jersey and one on the bike. Unfortunately three pocket jerseys that aren't so roadie like are hard to come by…and I prefer to wear merino next to my skin. These bibs seem like a good solution and should be able to hold the bottle better than a looser jersey.

Yes, there will be more wetness due to the heat off my back causing more condensation on the bottle but I'm ok with that.

When I bought these my shop also had the new Giro undershorts which I was really hoping to like, better materials and chamois, unfortunately the pocket is only big enough for your favourite bottle of IPA, and NOT a water bottle…silly urban fashions.
    High-Performance Cycling Bib Undershort by Giro

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    well i would consider those bibs as i sometimes ride with "baggy" clothes as a long sleeve XTR jersey with no pockets or so and longer shorts, but mostly i like to look like a "Pro" and wear the coolest Spes. clothes lol
    but yeah i like the idea don´t need a full packed back pack when i can have tools and such in those SWAT bibs and so on so yeah i think it is a cool idea.