mtbr member

Anyone broken this part before?

Just wondering how common this is, my bike is a '06 SJ FSR expert. Actually rode it home without noticing, then noticed it the next day before going out. I NEVER do any drops, only ride trails. What are my odds of getting it waranteed? Looks kinda like the weld was weak to me. Not sure which broke first.

-c

I mountain bike, therefore, I trespass.
    [SIZE=1]
    http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/user.do?name=christian_r

[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    yes i have welded several of these for guys ,( it works great , and i can make them stronger ) ----------generally if you are not in a hurry , your specialized bike shop can get specialized to give you a new one , ----or sell you one at a very resonable price .
    specialized is good to work with !!

Wait, what!?
    I would say your odds are pretty high, if youre the original owner. Was that bolt over tightened or something?

Huh?
    I know the FSRxc has had a history (wow, alliteration) of broken links, and yours looks pretty close to where the FSRxc links were broken.

mtbr member
    I have the same bike, and I just replaced mine. It's not a warranty part, but it only costs about 30 bucks (i believe) for a new one. 2 of my riding buddies, who don't ride nearly as rough as I do, broke theirs previous to mine breaking. I've also broken that shock bolt 3 times, do to that weak ass teflon coated bushing, which I have replaced 5 times. I've been abusing my bike for a couple of years now, and the linkage just now wore out - so no big deal really. Spec. must have thought them weak too, b/c they redesigned the linkage for '07.

mtbr member
    broke mine on an '04. Bolt broke first, so Specialized didn't warranty it claiming that the bolt can take X amount of force and if I sheared through that I was over working the bike...... $45 part plus another ~$40 for a bolt and FSR bearing kit. The new bolt was larger in diameter and the new rocker part used that larger bolt and I have not had problems since.

mtbr member
    First off, thanks to everyone for replying to my thread. The reports of so many failed parts is not good news tho.
    So I just got off the phone with my LBS and they are going to charge me $75.00 for the new part and bearings. That does NOT include any labor to put them in and it doesn't include the bolt. Question: am I getting screwed?

-c
    [SIZE=1]

[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdabiker
    First off, thanks to everyone for replying to my thread. The reports of so many failed parts is not good news tho.
    So I just got off the phone with my LBS and they are going to charge me $75.00 for the new part and bearings. That does NOT include any labor to put them in and it doesn't include the bolt. Question: am I getting screwed?

-c
    When I got replacement parts, the bolt was included in the FSR bearing kit.

mtbr member
    yup

OSCMTB
    Broke the linkage on my 05 Stumpy in May. Crack right down the weld, similar to yours. Bike shop warrantied it, and I had them replace all the pivot bearings while they had it apart. Only cost $60 for the bearings + labor. The linkage cost nothing, and they needed a new bolt because it used a different size (this cost me nothing either).

Calm Like a Bomb
    i would look into betd linkages as a replacement for your broken one...much stronger but a little more pricey
    V-10c (custom)
    Nomadc (custom)

mtbr member
    Ok, my bike is operational once again, the LBS charged me $75 for the linkage and a bearing kit for the whole rear end (the bearings came in a little baggie with the Specialized logo on it). I had to press the bearings myself and there was no M 8x40 bolt so I bought one at Ace for a buck. They also ordered me a bushing for the shock, that was $5 and they pressed it in for me, although the metal sleeve the bolt rides on was not replaced (?). I was in serious need of new bearings, which may explain why the part failed. The bike is only 2 years old so I didn't expect them to be shot already, but they certainly were! Yeah it's a lot of hassle and maintenance, but it's not like you can go back to a hardtail

-c
    [SIZE=1]

[/SIZE]

mountain biker
    that was a very common problem with Enduro's too. I went through countless bolts until I figured out it was a bushing wear problem. The bushings wear out, the bolt develops play, you overtighten the bolt which weakens the structural integrity of the metal and bam, you break the bolt. Make sure your replace the bushings as soon as you feel any play back there. You can probably get two bushings' worth of life out of your reducers (that metal sleeve you talked about), but its probably best to replace them when you replace the bushings.

Good luck and happy maintenance...
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    did one of those at mountain mayhem a few years ago
    got a replacement from Spesh at the event

mtbr member
    Thanks for that info slyfink, makes sense, I recall a little play in that end of the shock shortly before the failure, but I never tightened the bolt, it was still to specs. Guess I need to keep some of those bushings on hand.

-c
    [SIZE=1]

[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have broken 2 bolts and cracked the linkage once, all xc riding, no drops. Bolt just broke again last night, bad design with the shock through the seatstay (06 Stumpy comp).

Just wanted to bump this thread to let the Specialized guys know that after 10 years on Specialized bikes ( still have the 98 fsr xc on my wall) because of this problem (they won't warranty it) I will be looking to a Kona or another brand when I replace this bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I broke that shock link from a Stumpy 120 2005 me too. The part cost me ~100$ CDN, no bearing, no bolt included. Specialized says this is a suspension part and as written in the waranty, suspension part are not waranty more than 1 year I think.

I don't think you got screwed, but Berkley is dawn lucky

UF Engineering Slave
    Broke the link on my '05 Stumpy 100. Not covered under warranty, took a week longer than expected to arrive, and it was the wrong link... I will never buy another Specialized product.