mtbr member

Anyone with a 29er HT Stumpjumper upgrade to 100mm fork travel?

My bike rocks! I have an '09 29er Hardtail Stumpjumper Comp and it comes with 80mm travel. I think I could use a little more and have read tidbits on here about people upgrading the Reba SL from 80mm to 100mm easily.

Just wondering if anyone has actually done this and did it screw up the handling/climbing ability? The bike is pretty sweet already just looking for a little more travel so I can handle the ruts a little better.

My favorite places to ride here in Norcal are Skeggs Pt and Demo Forest. I know, I know: "Just get a full suspension bike!" ... No way man, my hardtail rocks!

Thanks in advance for your input.
    D

cougarbait
    I think improving skill would have a lot bigger impact than increasing travel by 20mm
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

Religion = Non-thinking
    do u have a sag meter? do u bottom out the fork during ur rides? i'm not sure if its related, but if you're not bottoming out i dont think you'll need 100mm of travel

and also, it will make climbing harder, although by a little. it definitely won't make it easier
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    1) Yes, I have a sag meter, I use a zip-tie. I am sure I bottom out. Unless my zip-tie lies to me. She's so unpredictable.

2) Thank you for the skills assessment on my riding! Since my skills lack, I have decided to revert to a full rigid fork, 24" wheels, and a fixed gear drivetrain with caliper brakes and streamers flying from the ends of my MF'ing lock-on grips.

Religion = Non-thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by donoman
    1) Yes, I have a sag meter, I use a zip-tie. I am sure I bottom out. Unless my zip-tie lies to me. She's so unpredictable.

2) Thank you for the skills assessment on my riding! Since my skills lack, I have decided to revert to a full rigid fork, 24" wheels, and a fixed gear drivetrain with caliper brakes and streamers flying from the ends of my MF'ing lock-on grips.
    whats with the sarcasm against people trying to help you?
    RH SL Pro

cougarbait
    increase pressure of negative chamber relative to positive chamber, should reduce bottoming out
    you need to be less defensive. taking offense to everything isn't a great way to go through life
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    I didn't start this thread to get techniques on riding. I asked if anyone has done the conversion. If you haven't, don't reply to the thread. It's simple.

I was serious about the ziptie.

Religion = Non-thinking
    you can open the fork to see if theres spacers inside to change travel, my reba does.
    RH SL Pro

cougarbait
    Quote Originally Posted by donoman
    I didn't start this thread to get techniques on riding. I asked if anyone has done the conversion. If you haven't, don't reply to the thread. It's simple.
    next time you can explicitly tell people to only reply if they have done the conversion, since most people on here offer what they think is the best advice for any given situation.
    or, better yet, since you know what you're looking for you can just do a search since there are a sh*tload of threads on this already instead of being lazy and making a thread that does not even belong in this section of the boards.
    good luck
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    [QUOTE=donoman]1) Yes, I have a sag meter, I use a zip-tie. I am sure I bottom out. Unless my zip-tie lies to me. She's so unpredictable.

2) Thank you for the skills assessment on my riding! Since my skills lack, I have decided to revert to a full rigid fork, 24" wheels, and a fixed gear drivetrain with caliper brakes and streamers flying from the ends of my MF'ing lock-on grips.[Where can I get some of those streamers? ]

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I did this on a 17" 2008 Stumpjumper Comp 29er (Reba SL) and love it. I felt like the bike was a little too skittish on the steeper, rockier downhill sections and my weight was a little far forward. At the same time I also changed the adjustable stem from the -18 deg setting to the -6 deg setting to raise the handlebars even more. Much more comfortable on the steep downhills and I can still keep the front end on the ground on the steep uphill using the same techniques I always have (i.e. scoot up on the seat & crouch forward a bit).

The trade-off is slower handling in the twisty stuff. With my original setup (80mm & -18deg stem) I felt like this bike absolutely RAILED mellow twisty singletrack. It still handles better than my old SC Superlight but not as quick as it once was.

Overall for me, it's the best compromise for the trails I ride.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    I've got an 08 and run it at 100. Works great. Slackens the HT angle a bit, for the better in my opinion, you'll notice that there is a shift to slacker HT angles on several 29ers. For an endurance oriented bike it works especially well since it makes the handling more predictable (less twitchy) as you start to fatigue.

Go for it and ride it for a few weeks before you make a final judgement. You can always go back if you don't like it.

mtbr member
    Thanks gregport and sthrnfat!!! Just the opinions I was looking for. Now I need to open that puppy up.

Shift less, Pedal more.
    I'm riding a SS Stumpy 29er with a Fox 100mm fork. It was originally an 80mm that I had the LBS change to 100mm. Sure it does change the geometry a little but I didn't notice it having any drastic changes to my riding style. It also raises the bottom bracket height a little.

My bro has the Comp 29er Stumpy with a Reba that he had the LBS change to a 100mm as well. If you don't like it you can alway have the LBS change it back to 80mm.

I changed to 100mm because I'm used to racing a Spesh Epic with a 100mm fork. I ride fast and hard and found that 80mm just wasn't enough.
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

mtbr member
    OK I did it and just wanted to report back.

Pro:
    As expected, the extra travel helped cushion from bumps a lot. I was able to hit things a little straighter without worrying about running out of travel.

Cons:
    Tight handling was much worse for hairpins/switchbacks and I found the front wandering a lot. I might drop the stem 5mm if it continues to be a problem, but I think I just need to get used to the new balance point of the bike and maybe even tip the nose of my seat down a little bit.

Climbing felt a little less efficient, as expected.

Observation:
    I was able to run through a rocky section probably a little too fast and got my butt into a little bit of trouble. The front handled these rocks great but I think my rim dinged a rock at some point (haven't checked). This isn't really a downside.

Now that I've done the modification, I can verify that if you know what you're doing it should take no longer than 20-30 minutes to remove the spacer. Also, you don't need to drain the oil from the damping side, which makes life a lot easier. You may need to purchase some Red Rum or seal lubricant as you will lose some during the modification.

Verdict:
    The jury is still out as to whether I like this mod or not.