mtbr member

New question here. Anybody riding a Specialized 29???

Looking to try a 29 for awhile...have ridden a Cannondale Caffeine, Ventana full susp, and a Redline no susp. Wondering if anyone out there has tried the Specialized 29 offerings? My LBS carries S so want to try to stick with them but have not heard much about Specializeds success with their new 29's.
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Wait, what!?
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffSkisMontana
    have not heard much about Specializeds success with their new 29's.
    I have not heard anything negative about them....

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    I'm riding the FSR version. Picked up a frame and moved parts over from another bike. Loving it. I had picked up a HiFi 29er complete bike and really liked the handling, but the bike was too flexy (and the chain stay section broke in the first month). The HiFi was light, but clearly wasn't the bike for me. I've owned several Specialized bikes over the years and have never been let down, so I decided to pick up an FSR frame and sold the HiFi frame. Kept the G2 fork for the FSR.

The FSR is much stiffer - feels more responsive when standing and pushing hard on short steep climbs - where flexy frames can't hide. The brain shock is much improved. I had owned an FSR with fox brain and the new AFR shock is much smoother when transitioning from firm to open.

I really like the ride and handling. The G2 fork with increased offset really does work for 29ers. If you go with a Specialized, and can swing it, I would recommend goind with a fork that has more offset like the Fox 29er fork.

If you're looking for a hardtail, then I can't help with a long term review, but I did test ride one and really like the handling. I currently have a Karate Monkey, but feel the Stumpjumper would be a very quick bike based on the handling and weight. You can't go wrong with a Stumpjumper hardtail!
    Last edited by NCtrailX; 12-26-2007 at 06:51 AM.

mtbr member
    I rode the stumpy hardtail and dug it. I'm not really a 29er guy but I ride road bikes a lot so the wheel size still felt pretty okay to me. Climbed great, descended a bit funky till I got used to it, then it was an absolute blast to ride.

mtbr member

EnduroBlood, strhnfat, and his dudeness........

Appreciate your comments on Specialized 29'ers. Went to my LBS today....talked 29'ers for awhile over a "happy hour" beer. Still gathering info at this point...anyone else out there with some input...drop a note...it is helpful. Thanks.

AKA Dr.Nob
    I think I'm in love with my FSR 29er. Picked it up a couple of weeks ago and havn't stopped riding it. Some of the specs aren't up to scratch IMO but its nothing that more $$$ can't fix.
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

mtbr member

Anyone have any pictures of their Specialized 29'er?

Gumbymark....sounds like your FSR is fantastic...any pictures? I am currently on a Titus Moto-lite. Did you move from a dual suspension 26'er to the FSR 29'r? Thx.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

In Love

Hey, just wanted to post about my FSR29er. I have been riding a 26" Stumpy FSR since 2004 and it was time for a new ride so I decided to try the 29er. I am in LOVE with it. I have been on it about a month now and don't think I could go back to a 26" wheel. It rolls over everything corners like a formula one care and climbs like a Mtn. Goat. I did a couple upgrades. Before I rode it I swapped DT wheels for the new Mavix CrossMax 29er and love them. I rode it a few times and swapped the REBA for the new FOX 29 fork. The Fox may be a bit more plush, but the bike actually steered better with the REBA and the reason is the 38MM offset on the REBA vs. 44MM offset on the FOX. I can't say enough about this bike its so much fun to ride. It gives you sense of security that you will not get on a 26" wheel. Good Luck with whatever you decide. I can not wait unitl a Carbon or a S-Works version comes out. I am going to try and put some 1.9 tires on and see how it rides.