mtbr member
    Jul 2011

any suggestions for rear wheel upgrade?

i've put off making a decision on wheels long enough that now my rear wheel is getting too sketchy to put it off any longer. i'm aiming to keep cost to a minimum and riding to the max bang for the buck so looking for advice on just replacing the rim and spokes while retaining the stock hub. i admit this is not ideal, but i'm hoping it's still be a big enough improvement to make life/riding better/safer.
    bike -- 2011 Spec Stumpy FSR Elite 26er;
    replacing rear rim and spokes -- stock DT Swiss X420SL (32 hole) rim on rear is showing wear with dented side so now looking to replace it with Mavic EN521 or any other suitable suggestion;
    spokes -- stock is DT Swiss Champion 1.8mm stainless steel, but they obviously need to be replaced -- i have no idea which would be best;
    type of riding -- aggressive trail riding with long duration rides covering rock gardens, rooty trails, and 3-4 foot drops ... keeping in mind that i'm about 205lbs with gear and i'm fine riding with tubes rather than tubeless. i do ride hard, but no downhilling;
    rear hub -- i'm retaining the rear stock hub described as "Specialized Hi Lo disc, laser-etched logo, double sealed cartridge bearing, QR, 32h";
    front wheel -- it's not showing any major issues so in the interest of economics, lol, i'm not seeing any need for changes for the front wheel.

appreciate any suggestions -- rear wheel rim? spokes? retaining stock hub?

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Sun Ringle MTX33 rim (36 spoke count)
    Hope Evo Pro 2 hub
    14g spokes
    brass nipples

Rough clyde worthy.... not the lightest, but a tough wheel
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If the rear hub is the same Hi Lo that came on the 29s in '11 I'd consider replacing it. They were 142X12. If it IS the same hub, then either you got lucky or just haven't done in the free hub yet, which was the problem.

Regardless, the move to the four bearing hub has happened, and I'd use one of the new ones to build with. Massively easier to service the free hub and who wants a new rim and spokes laced to an iffy obsolete PIA used hub?

I don't know what the new hubs cost - mine was warranty exchange - but there's nothing exotic in there and I'd guess it's about the same price as a Sram hub, which is another common option. The new hubs seem fine so far; haven't heard anything negative, although there's always someone who can break anything.

I'd use 14 ga [DT Swiss Comps?] spokes and brass nipples laced 3X. 15 ga and alloy nipples are lighter but on the rear you'll never notice the weight but you might notice the stiffness.

Talk to you LBS about that hub before you lace anything; might even get an exchange hub out of it if it's an 'affected' hub.

Check out the 'Hi Lo hub' threads for some background.

mtbr member
    Dude,if you're really thinking about keeping that garbage Hi Lo hub you're just halfway into the replacing a wheel idea. The thing is gonna fail,period. You've just been very lucky,busted mine in a couple of months ( 2011 Stumpy FSR Elite 26,long gone and not forgotten)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Dude,if you're really thinking about keeping that garbage Hi Lo hub you're just halfway into the replacing a wheel idea. The thing is gonna fail,period. You've just been very lucky,busted mine in a couple of months ( 2011 Stumpy FSR Elite 26,long gone and not forgotten)
    That seems to be the common view. You have (had?) the exact same bike so just curious did you get rid of the wheel(s) or the bike? If wheels were replaced, what did you substitute with? If you got rid of bike, what did you replace it with and why? Thx.