I take 14,000 ft drops
    Jul 2008

Any sub 26lb Stumpy alloys out there?

I Demo'd a '13 stumpy elite 29 and was really impressed how much more fun my local trails were with the slacker geometry. The only issue was how heavy she was for the terrain I am riding….and the brakes. I am coming off of a 25lb epic 29r and would like to keep the weight somewhat similar since I still have a ton of pedaling to do on my local xc trails. Before someone suggests it…. I know I don't want a Camber.

Anyone out there in '12-'14 Stumpy land have an alloy frame that is setup sub 26lbs. If so, what's the build? And did it have a brain? I've been trolling stumpy photo threads for 2 hours looking to see what I could find with mixed results. I already have a full xx1 drivetrain ready for whatever frameset i find and trying to decide if my stan's arch ex's will be sufficient. Any help is much appreciated.

mtbr member
    It's a tough job to get an alloy Stumpy to that weight but you may be able to do it. Top cash involved I'm afraid...

My '13 Stumpy fsr elite comes at 29.5 lbs with roval carbon rims and xtr brakes,sealant,size L. Did not want to bother with lighter brakes after the avid's nightmare,shimano xtr are solid brakes and they made me a much more confident rider.

You may have to give up Command Post for sure and add carbon parts and Ti bits all over the frame. Ultra light chain ( that will wear out fast) and the lightest brakes on the market.
    As previously said the whole thing may cost you a lot and the result may not be guaranteed.
    After one year of ownership I've realized that weight saving is not something to pursue on this type of bike,because if it's the Epic feeling you're after forget about it,the Epic is a totally different beast.
    After the initial weight shock I've endend up loving this bike. Group rides are slow uphills picking on each other with my buddies and then we fly downhill,it's the true mtb spirit i guess. My Epic is now for sale,if i crave for speed i take my roadie.
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '12 Roubaix Expert pimped for sale
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

I take 14,000 ft drops
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the reply!
    -I have a head start on the build with the following parts: XTR brakes,xx1, carbon bars,stem,post, Stans Arch Wheels(probably not going to be quite light enough), and some Ti bolts for brakes, cockpit, etc.
    -Totally agree on the Epic being a different beast but I know for certain what I am looking to get out of the Stumpy and lose from the Epic. This has been a long thought process.
    -Weight saving may not be priority but absolutely worth pursuing. Why else make a $10k Sworks race version. Or any Carbon model.
    -Keeping spare parts for a hardtail if I feel sluggish on the new bike.

Does anyone know for sure if the non brain models still have the mounting screw on the rear triangle to add a brain? Are the Elite's the only alloy model that ever had brains?

mtbr member
    Sworks, Expert and Elite are the only Brain equipped models.
    Non Brain equipped models do not have a Brain ready chainstay.
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '12 Roubaix Expert pimped for sale
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

mtbr member

Any sub 26lb Stumpy alloys out there?

I have the 2012 29 fsr comp stumpy and I love the bike. I put a wheel set and talus fork on it over he winter. I'm not sure of the weight. I have Stan's arch ztr rims with dt swiss hubs. I'm not a weight weenie but I think it lost a little weight. This summer or net winter. I'm putting a Thomson cockpit on it. Good luck with ur build. The stumpy is a bad ass bike enjoy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I started with 2014 SJ FSR Comp (base model) and now it's 11.3 kg without pedals. Upgrades so far:
    1) 1 x 10 drivetrain with raceface 32t chainring and sram x9 shifter instead of x7
    2) Roval Control SL wheels (yes, expensive and not suitable for hard riding)
    3) schwalbe thunder burt rear and Rocket Ron 2.25 front tires, both tubeless
    4) had a spare seatpost that was little bit lighter than stock
    5) ESI grips
    6) changed rotors to 180 front and 160 rear.

That's it! Yes, it's now more of a comfy XC bike, but I like it and since it's flat as a pancake here, I dont need burly wheels-tires or dropper post. Want to get it below 11kg, that means changing bar, saddle, maybe stem and seatpost or cranks. We'll see...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Any sub 26lb Stumpy alloys out there?

Quote Originally Posted by siim_s View Post
    I started with 2014 SJ FSR Comp (base model) and now it's 11.3 kg without pedals. Upgrades so far:
    1) 1 x 10 drivetrain with raceface 32t chainring and sram x9 shifter instead of x7
    2) Roval Control SL wheels (yes, expensive and not suitable for hard riding)
    3) schwalbe thunder burt rear and Rocket Ron 2.25 front tires, both tubeless
    4) had a spare seatpost that was little bit lighter than stock
    5) ESI grips
    6) changed rotors to 180 front and 160 rear.

That's it! Yes, it's now more of a comfy XC bike, but I like it and since it's flat as a pancake here, I dont need burly wheels-tires or dropper post. Want to get it below 11kg, that means changing bar, saddle, maybe stem and seatpost or cranks. We'll see...
    What size frame?

Just curious,why the SJ in the first place if its so flat? Just like the trail geo over XC geo?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    L frame. Well, I don't like brain so much - that ruled out Epic. Epic was also more expensive. The only Camber with sram and preferred price point was alloy evo so i thought it's almost the same as SJ, actually, SJ has even tiny bit less aggressive geo compared to camber evo and it was cheaper. Also the colours are nicer I have the black one.

I still like technical trails, it's just that we don't have extended downhill sections here. Having owned Pitch in the past, I believe SJ suits my needs really well. Maybe next one will be Camber though...

I take 14,000 ft drops
    Jul 2008
    11.3kg/25lbs is very encouraging. Im probably going to start with an Elite model (brain) and try to do something similar. I do have the little tid bits that would push you under 11kg so maybe I can stay around 11kg/25lbs with the brain and carbon cockpit factored in. Thanks for the reply!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    those wheels should be light enough, just make sure to go tubeless and I would run SWORKS tires front and rear. perhaps swap XX1 crank for Race Face Next SL or even Tune's latest one-by crank. lightweight bar/stem/grips. ti/carbon railed seat and probably no dropper post (thomson masterpiece or carbon post) and a lightweight fork, something like a revelation XX World cup. that should get you to where you want to be