Kid disguised as an adult

Any reason to *not* take a good deal on new '13 Stumpy FSR Comp 29 vs. the '14 model?

From what I can tell the main differences are the fork, brakes and paint job. The brakes are a non-issue because I've got a spare set of SLX brakes that can replace whichever stock brakes should I not like them. The paint job doesn't matter 'cuz I like any of the available choices.

It basically comes down to which fork is a better choice. Go with the '13 Fox Float CTD Evolution 29 and save several hundred dollars (discount on bike and $100 in accessories or parts) or go with the '14 RockShox Revelation 29 RC3? Put another way, is the RockShox worth $300 more? Have there been any common problems with the '13 Fox fork?

I should add that the whole reason I'm thinking of going to a Stumpy FSR 29 from my '11 Camber Elite 29 is to get more travel and especially more plushness on the small to medium hits. I need to try and minimize the impacts that my degenerating spinal disks take so I can keep riding for as many more years as possible. From my initial test ride on the '13 Comp 29 in the vacant lot behind the bike shop, and then doing the same ride on my Camber, I can feel the improved plushness of the Stumpy, even without doing any suspension tuning. I was concerned whether there'd be a significant compromise in handling with the longer Stumpy, but I think they're close enough that playing with the stem length, bars, positioning, etc., I can get it close enough.
    If you turn the light on fast enough,
    you can see what the dark looks like.

Fishing/ Biking
    I can't offer any advise with the shocks as I'm still pretty new and not familiar with either. But I did test ride a '14 Camber Comp and a '13 Stumpy a few weeks ago. I had a buddy visiting, so I got us some good bikes to ride. I rode both bikes, swapping out on every other trail for two days. I really liked them both. But what I noticed most, was just like you said- the Stumpy was just more PLUSH. They rode very similar to me, but I am still new and may not be able to pick out the subtle differences between the two. But for sure you can make the Stumpy ride close to what you are used to with your Camber.

mtbr member
    The 2013 Stumpy FSR Comp is $2399-$2499 in my area.

The 2014 is $2699.

I had a hard time choosing, but went with the 2013 to get the Fox fork.

There is a new version of the FSR for 2015, so I didn't think getting the 2014 was all that crucial...

mudhen
    "Lighten up Francis" Sgt. Hulka

Boy, I wish the dealers around here (Michigan) discounted like that. Generally, the only time they go below MSRP is when they're trying to get rid of the last of the current year bikes right before the new ones arrive. Rather than discount the bikes they tend to offer discounts on accessories and parts.

One dealer over-bought on Stumpy FSR Comp 29's so I can get one for $2600 and $100 towards parts, so I guess that puts it in the range that you're seeing, but it's the exception more than the rule around here.

I'm leaning towards getting the 2013 with the Fox fork, but it seems strange to buy a new bike as the season is winding down around here. I don't ride in the snow any more. My old bones are too brittle...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Here is a forum to read up on. I am not familiar with the Revelation.
    2013 Fox CTD Fork a bad bet?

I bought a 2013 100mm Fox CTD w/ Kashima off of competitive cyclist for $550 because I really wanted a 15mm fork. Apparently a lot of places were or are trying to unload them for cheap because of customer complaints. I have been happy with mine, it does things that a fork is supposed to do. However, I am no expert in forks. I am still trying to figure it out compared to my Reba which was more of a set it and forget it fork. However, when I am riding, I never think about the fork or any lack of performance that it has so it must be pretty good as I have rode a decent number of crap forks and have been unimpressed with them.

According to the forum for under $100 you can send it in to get the 2014 damper/tune. To have the fork Push'd would probably be in the $300 range or so.

Thanks for that link, it's an eye opener. Now I'm back to indecision... Wish I knew whether the late model year 2013 fork has the improved damper or not.
    I haven't been following the Fox or RockShox offerings for the past couple years, so all the options are a little hard to sort out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I contacted Fox and asked about getting the 2014 damper before I even rode the fork and he replied back with "ride it first and if you have any issues then send it in". I thought that was pretty reasonable.

I want the best fork and best tune that is appropriate for my weight and riding style, but I am not that perceptible to the small differences and I don't really know exactly what that is.

In other words, you can only guess what driving a Ferarri is like until you drive one. Reading about them on paper only does so much. Maybe I am riding the Ferarri of forks and it doesn't get much better, or maybe I am riding the Miata forks and in my limited knowledge it does what it is supposed to do and is good enough.

People say really good things about Push'd, I am a bit of a skeptic and think that at least some portion of it is a placebo. I can't say, cuz I have yet to have a fork Push'd. I have heard some people say that it was the best thing they ever did to their bike, and I have heard some people say that having a good fork, understanding your fork, and setting up the air pressures accordingly is just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    In other words, you can only guess what driving a Ferarri is like until you drive one. Reading about them on paper only does so much. Maybe I am riding the Ferarri of forks and it doesn't get much better, or maybe I am riding the Miata forks and in my limited knowledge it does what it is supposed to do and is good enough.
    I look at it the same way. My main concern at purchase time is reliability. My riding abilities aren't so refined that any subtle difference would matter and the trails I ride aren't so demanding that I couldn't get an adequate ride out of either fork. However, I don't want to buy one knowing that I'm going to need to send it in right away to get what I want, especially if I'd have to pay an outside company to get it there. That's no reflection on Push or other after-market tuners, because I have no experience with any of them. I just don't have the money to do something like that, so I have to scrutinize and research before I buy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Take the deal on the 13 while you can. You will most likely not notice the difference. Consumables (cassettes, rear der, etc...) are wear items and no big deal. You might swap out seats and tires until you find what you like. So aside from those items you are really buying for the frame.fork and brakes and possibly wheels. Also the 2013 FOX apparently can have the 14 system put in and word is Fox is working with consumers to do so. Think of all the beer you can buy with the money saved buying the 13.

Yeah, that's how I'm leaning at this point. I've had decent performance and durability from Fox in the past (my '02 Stumpy FSR Comp is still going) and if they're taking care of problems that come up with the '13 forks I can have that done over the winter and not miss out on any riding.
    You're right about the other parts. In looking at my '11 Camber I realized that the only original parts I haven't changed out are the frame and derailleurs and a lot of those replacement parts would end up on the new bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mudhen View Post
    There is a new version of the FSR for 2015, so I didn't think getting the 2014 was all that crucial...
    Any further details on this? I'm assuming a redesign for the SJ next year?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    there is actually a recall for the 2013 Fox evolution series forks. have the shop supply the info from the fork on the exact bike you are looking at and you could possibly have the issue taken care of before even taking delivery on the bike.
    Juice

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corm View Post
    Any further details on this? I'm assuming a redesign for the SJ next year?
    That is what I have been told my my LBS, and I recall reading it somewhere else too, but I can't recall where...

mudhen

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Juicen View Post
    there is actually a recall for the 2013 Fox evolution series forks. have the shop supply the info from the fork on the exact bike you are looking at and you could possibly have the issue taken care of before even taking delivery on the bike.
    The Evolution Fox fork on my 2013 SJ FSR was not a part of the recall. They have a page on their website where you can enter the shock ID code and check...

mudhen

Quote Originally Posted by Der Juicen View Post
    Good suggestion. I called the shop, they read me the numbers and I ran them on the Fox recall site and it's not part of the recall. Going to the bank and then the bike shop to pick up my new ride!

The 2013 vs. 2014 question is resolved. I just picked a matte black 2013 Stumpy FSR 29 Comp for a good price. The fork isn't part of the Fox recall and he's getting me a set of XO 2x10 Grip Shifters at cost and applying the $100 accessories allowance towards them.
    Now I just need to order a 12x142 conversion kit for my Stan's Arch EX rear wheel and a longer hose for the set of SLX brakes I've got waiting. Anyone interested in a cheap new set of Exilir 5 SL brakes & rotors and X-7 trigger shifters?