Big Hittin'

any put a dual crown fork on their enduro?

just wondering if anyone has put a dual crown fork on there newer style enduro to make it more downhill and jump friendly? if so how do you like it

thinking about doin this to mine (when i get it) as i ride some trails and chairlift also. lemmi know thanks.

Big Hittin'
    ???

the test dummy
    specialized only allows 10mm up or 10mm down or your warranty is void... also you'd break your head tube off
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    Unless it is the DC from specialized dont ever do that to your bike. I have a 2011 enduro comp and coming of a demo I can say that the geometry needs no modification. the bike is fully capable. Not to mention that you will risk snapping the head tube off your bike.
    "If Liberace was alive, he'd be proud to ride that mofo."

mtbr member
    I've seen some e150 forks on the new Enduro's, which is 150mm, and can be modified to 160mm... It's too back Specialized (or Fox for Specialized) doesn't make a dual crown all mountain fork anymore...

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    With a 20mm axle and tapered steer tube a dual crown is MUCH LESS necessary. Obviously not as stiff, but pretty close and lighter.

I was worried about this issue when i bought my 2010, so far it has not been a problem at all.

Big Hittin'
    Quote Originally Posted by thrasher_s
    With a 20mm axle and tapered steer tube a dual crown is MUCH LESS necessary. Obviously not as stiff, but pretty close and lighter.

I was worried about this issue when i bought my 2010, so far it has not been a problem at all.
    so are u saying you put one on?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    ^ No, he's saying he beats the piss out of his stock Enduro and hasn't had any issues so there's no reason he can see for upgrading to such a big fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Not a good idea man...

The frame's head angle is not designed for the travel of a dual crown fork. The angle would weaken the head tube and evntually creak and could cause you injury one day when it breaks but it's up to you.

Also fitting a long travel rear shock would give similar problems to the link and pivot bearings of the frame's swing arm and weaken them. Adds more weight than is necessary for an enduro too.

The e150 would be the only other option although the brace being too close to the tyre is still a bit odd and finding one would be hard too.

Big Hittin'
    do they not make dual crowns at 160mm of travel?
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    What benefit do you see from a dual crown 160mm fork over a single crown version? And no, there are no dual crown 160's anymore and for a good reason. typically a dual crown would make a bike LESS jump friendly not more, kinda why slope style bikes all run shorter travel single crowns.
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    Dangerous. And why would you, besides "making it look cool?" With a tapered head tube and beefy stanchions on today's single crown (not to mention an already balanced geometry), I don't see a point.

Edit: I once put a 10" dual crown on an Epic, and it looked siiiiiiiick! Had to run it with the Brain fully open though...

Big Hittin'
    i like the feel of my friends enduro with its 150 fork
    29er's are Goofy

Big Hittin'
    just wondering, is the dual crown itself the problem? or is it the travel that is the prob?
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Well first off, the e150 fork would be the only real dual crown choice (if you can get one). The problem with other dual crown forks is that they weigh so much, they put a great deal of stress on the head tube. The clamping force between the top and bottom crowns is not really an issue as such (just don't over tighten). The travel is definitely an issue as the head angle would be too steep for the head tube.

So..... weight and travel.

But seriously man, just don't bother with the dual crown. Leave them to the dh bikes. Single crowns are much stronger and more responsive these days. So the dual crowns look better, but speaking from exprience (nearly 20 years building bikes and parts), performance over looks every time.