Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Any info on the '08 Stumpy?

Has anyone heard anything about the '08 Stumpy? This bike is due for a major change for '08. Anyone heard from their reps on this?

mtbr member
    Waiting, too. Should'nt last too long, till we get the news...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't know if you noticed but it got a major change from 06 to 07. They added the brain to more of them, raised the bottom bracket and frame recieved a more swoopy "nomad" style design on the down tube. It is also substanially more beffy then the 04 which I replaced this one with. The only changes I can see them making would be A. Making the frame uninterrupted like the Enduro SL or B. Just pumping it up to 130mm in the rear. I don't expect either of those two things to happen. However I bet you will see the brain reach lower down the line past the expert to the elite and the comp. Just speculation on my part however.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Maybe a Specialized fork for the Stumpy...... how about a 140/120/100mm version of the triple crown fork on the Enduro SL?

mtbr member
    This is what im thinkn -
    6 inches of travel on the rear (maybe no brain on this model?) (Stumpy 6?)

Im sure the high end ones are gonna have a new specialized fork to accomodate the rear (e150 maybe, something similar?)

Beefier

Maybe even a 'racing edition' kinda like the 5.5 fro with maybe 5 inches of travel again, but with a lighter frame afr shock/brain for sure and more aggressive geometry

Of course new decals.

I really think their line is gonna expand a lot, seeing on how alone the langster line expanded into 7 models from 2... but my .02

mtbr member
    My wishes and guess:

- 130 mm rear travel, Specialized damper also in Expert model
    - fox forks with 140 - 120 - 100 mm
    - maybe a new DT Swiss fork for the top models Pro and S-Works (DT Swiss acquired Pace in Nov 2006 and should launch a new fork line for 2008)
    - SRAM equipped gear, maybe the new XTR for the top models (lighter than SRAM)
    - hopefully again black color choices for the top models, maybe also white

I am waiting for the 2008 frame design, wether it will change completely towards enduro line (advantage: uninterrupted seat tube) or just be smoothly modified...

Stue
    Last edited by Stue007; 05-21-2007 at 12:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hmm, my guess is Specialized is going to make a uninterupted seattube (I though the enduro SL has a curved end at its seattube?), maybe their own Specialized fork, more Brain models in their cheaper Stumpy line. Maybe increase the travel to a 5 - 5.5 inch. Lighter frame. Hmm packaging? Maybe with Shimano Shadow RD

mtbr member
    I doubt dt will produce anything yet. I mean, they just acquired pace in 2006. forks require alot of rd. But, seriously, I think bike companies should just leave suspension to suspension companies. Not this specialized, scott, ect... Leave it to Fox, Zoke, RS, and the occasional Manitou

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I hope the Stumpy doesn't follow the SL Enduro route of having a Kona style rocket link and swingarm. Long live FSR. This was one of the reasons I opted for an 07 now.

Keep those Specialized in-house forks and shocks far away as possible! - Spec are better of spending the extra money on RD, lighter materials etc...

Though, I would like to see the travel increase by an extra inch - would be right up there with high end All-mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I hope the Stumpy doesn't follow the SL Enduro route of having a Kona style rocket link and swingarm. Long live FSR. This was one of the reasons I opted for an 07 now.
    What you mean? I dont quite understand.

And why you ask to keep Specialized in house forks and shocks far away as possible? Because of their own AFR shock, they have improve the Brain greatly and they dont need cooperation from Fox anymore which could bring the cost of making the brain intergrated to the shock cheaper

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    What you mean? I dont quite understand.
    Sorry I didn't make myself clearer.

The design of the new Enduro SL looks very similar, and reminds me of a Kona. I understand it's still an FSR at the end of the day, but not for my taste. Since I said that, I hope the Stumpy doesn't go that route, and remains the design it has been with for years. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Hence, as mentioned above, I decided to get an 07 Stumpy, instead of remaining with my 04 Bighit Comp and waiting for 08.

In-house products, particularly with supension should be left to designers who focus on nothing but creating new shocks and improving damping. Specialized can get away from creating their own shocks for XC, but would struggle in the FR/DH market.

Having ridden my friend's SL, I was left rather disappointed. I hope they improve the SL suspension by 08.
    Last edited by zredbullz; 05-21-2007 at 04:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    well I only dont like Enduro SL rocker link design, looks very small. Well what you said is true but for the Brain and the Shock, I think its best that Specialized build it by themselves rather then any other shock manufacturing company so they can actually improve it easier. Well like I mention above, the Stumpjumper looks nice, especially the Carbon version, but I just hate its interuptted seattube. On some trails, I like to make my seatpost lower so I can make more body movement.

mtbr member
    Well like I mention above, the Stumpjumper looks nice, especially the Carbon version, but I just hate its interuptted seattube. On some trails, I like to make my seatpost lower so I can make more body movement.
    I also do not like the interrupted seat tube. Hard to believe Specialized will change something so fundamental as that though. Wouldn't a change in seat tube ripple through pretty much all of the frame design? Would you even have a Stumpjumper anymore?

Is there some supposed advantage to that interrupted tube?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    hmm, why do you think its that fundamental?

Specialized could redesigned it to something like how Titus does with their MotoLite or use a triangle swingarm like the Enduro SL. Im not sure about the ratio of Specialized Stumpjumper wheel travel movement : Shock stroke.

Well there is some advantage, some riders could accidently bought a slightly bigger bike or smaller and unlucky for them, the seatpost length that is suitable for them is not available because of the interupted tube. And on some trails, you might just not feel brave enough to tackle it with your normal cycling uphill height seatpost, and you wanted to drop it lower but you cant because the seat tube is interupted.

As I said earlier, some rocky trails is safer to lower your seatpost, there is this rock garden in a trail nearby in my island where if you accidently move your wheel towards the wrong direction, prepare to start making jumps, and a lower seatpost will really help in body movement (more flexible movements)

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm not aware of any advantages of the interupted seatpost design - any ideas?

mtbr member
    hmm, why do you think its that fundamental?
    First, let me just admit up front that I am by no means an expert on any aspect of bicycle design. Having gotten that out of the way, here is my line of thought: change the seat tube so that it is continuous, and you are forced to at least change the way that the rear shock is mounted. Might such a change not also change in some subtle way the manner/direction in which the rear suspension pushes against the shock? On the Enduro SL, isn't there some sort of up/down thing going on, where the rear triangle pushes upwards on a rocker arm that then pushes downwards on a shock? On the Stumpjumper FSR, the rear seat stays push rather directly in parallel with the shock. Do those differences matter?

Again, I'm no expert here. And thinking about all this has indeed gotten me curious as to whether there is some advantage to the interrupted seat tube design. Specialized does, after all, use it on almost all their full suspension bikes. I'm really curious, the more I think about it, as to what advantages they see in that interrupted seat tube design.

I'll just end by saying that I do not like interrupted seat tubes. I welcome the fact that the Enduro SL has a complete tube, even though there is that bend near the bottom. (I'll just buy one of those flexible seat posts ).

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    On the Enduro SL, isn't there some sort of up/down thing going on, where the rear triangle pushes upwards on a rocker arm that then pushes downwards on a shock? On the Stumpjumper FSR, the rear seat stays push rather directly in parallel with the shock. Do those differences matter?
    Yes its make a difference in the sensativity of the bike, a direct shock link can be explained from Titus website, a rocker arm can determine the ratio of the shock progression per wheel movement

mtbr member
    Thanks Wheelhot. That pointer to the Titus site is useful.

Does that rocker on the Enduro SL mean that the suspension is not truly a four-bar linkage design?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    if Im not mistaken, people doesnt count the rocker link as linkage or if it is considered as a linkage, so as the Stumpjumper strut link

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Well if im not mistaken, the shock link on the Stumpjumper is the same as the Enduro SL rocker link, just presented in a different way

mtbr member
    Ok, so, from my rep:
    new stumpy = 6 inches
    rocker set up like sl (goodbye to previous shock mount style)
    Pro and Sworks are coming with specialized/e150 forks
    99% chance theres a 29er epic, and from my guess, its gonna have the afr fork (similar to fox x series)
    stumpy is gonna have more aggressive geo
    gonna be something called a pitch, which is basically an fsr xc to an enduro = 6 inches of travel, all mountain bike, but more bang for buck with more affordable parts. He said that bike ROCKED!

thats all i know. damn i hope i dont lose my job over this...lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Okay let me summarize from your post:

08 Stumpjumper
    The new Stumpy will be 6 inches, with Enduro SL rocker link (I hope they will use the leverage ratio of Enduro SL because then the Stumpy will become very sensative to bumps and with the brain, you can pedal like a hardtail and still overcome rock gardens like you are on a Enduro SL)
    Pro and SWorks model will be specced with Specialized own fork (Single Crown?)
    More aggresive geometry (more towards XC?, 70 degree head tube angle?)

08 Epic
    Maybe 29er version available, maybe Specialized own AFR fork (similar to Fox F80/100X Series)

Pitch (new model?) - cheaper model of Enduro SL??
    FSR XC - Enduro hybrid, 6 inch travel, All Mountain, cheaper

P.S : Please answer all my questions (with the ? sign), thanks

I cant wait for Specialized announcement on their 08 bikes

mtbr member
    Ok, the rep could only tell me so much.
    He said the stumpy will get a specialized fork (wouldn't say if it would be dbl or single crown) on the pro and s works models, and yes, a more aggressive head angle, gearing it more towards xc riding. The enduro SL will be the 6" am bike, while the Stumpy will be the 6" trail/xc bike. Why would you buy an SL over a stumpy? Slacker angles, bb height.

Pitch (new model) - cheaper model of the ENDURO, not the SL
    Price point lower than the Enduro's and Enduro SL's, still all mountain and really good bang for buck. Assume you will be riding X FUSION suspension, because he said Spesh has been doing a LOT of work with X Fusion (located only 30 miles away in Scotts Valley!)

mtbr member
    6" rear travel seems to be a little overdone to the stumpjumper. Hopefully it will be pedal effecient and hopefully their will be no double crown fork on the new stumpi. That would be a lot of changes so...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hopefully it will be pedal effecient
    You joking rite? The Brain is already design to handle pedal efficient by making a auto lockout feature. What I meant by leverage ratio of Enduro SL is that it is able to be as sensative as Enduro SL when the terrain gets bumpy or rocky (the best characteristics of Enduro SL) and becomes a hardtail like the Epic when the terrain is smooth, oh yeah and the Brain has some adjustment to determine how sensative the brain is, so if you want to race the Stumpy, make it firm or if you want it to be like Enduro SL, make it soft. Its as easy as that, and I believe its better

By the way, people already comments that the Enduro SL pedals good , so I dont see why Specialized wont make Stumpjumper Rocker link leverage ratio the same as Enduro SL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast