Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    DTL
    DTL is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DTL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    415

    Any feedback from 2011 Stumpy FSR Comp 29er riders?

    The 2011 Stumpy FSR Comp 29er is on my list of 29ers I'm looking at. Any feedback from owner/riders would be great. Also I was curious how the Spec triad shocks are these days. Do they function pretty much like an Fox RP2? I'm looking at the bike for XC/trail riding. Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by DTL
    The 2011 Stumpy FSR Comp 29er is on my list of 29ers I'm looking at. Any feedback from owner/riders would be great. Also I was curious how the Spec triad shocks are these days. Do they function pretty much like an Fox RP2? I'm looking at the bike for XC/trail riding. Thanks!
    Just had one on demo for a few days. Rode the piss out of it 2 days in a row. Took everything I threw at it and I'm just under 200 lbs so it didn't have it easy.

    As far as the RS Reba up front there is a good bit of tuning to be done. The fork is dual air despite whatever specs "S" lists on their site. There is a positive and negative chamber along with compression and rebound adjustments. The 20mm maxle axle for the fork is mad stiff however I found it making some noise here and there and I had to hop off and tighten it up a bit. The combination of that axle along with the tapered head tube provides an ultra stiff ride and I really liked and I was able to point and shoot the bike whereever and over whatever I wanted to. Riding was just down right fun. Didn't have to be precise with this thing at all. Just ride and plow over sh** like a tank. Really fun and gratifying honestly.

    The triad has never been a great shock or a terrible shock. It performed fairly well on this bike. Make sure you take the time to dial in and get your air pressures right and sag correct. Otherwise you will bang some pedals. The propedal feature does help on this bike and it climbed like a goat. I even ran the shock open for about half of one my rides and climbing was still great and I didn't notice alot of bob. You are kinda stuck with the triad as "S" uses their own shock lengths. However, do some research for PUSH industries. You can seen that puppy off and have it custom tuned and rebuilt time and time again to your specs and how you ride. I think they are also going to start offering Rockshox rear shock products for "S" bikes in their custome lengths. I would hope this would lead to FOX products down the road as well.

    Despite what some say about jumping 29ers this thing will get airborne. I tossed it a few times and it responded great. I even landed it hard on the nose one good time and it remained stable and steering tracked well thruout my flight and landing.

    The weak points I found on this rig where the stock wheelset. No surprises here as "S" still chooses to spec on champion non butted spokes on the wheels.
    The 20mm maxle having to be tightened and making some noise...once again most of this was probably the cheapo wheelset flex.
    The front derailleur is an immediate swap out part in my opinion. They spec'd a 9 speed SLX FD on a 10 spd double SRAM crank??? Just doesn't work. I rode w/o a granny ring for the weekend. Could I have tuned the drivetrain myself? Yes...would have took 5 minutes but it wasn't my bike so didn't want to "mess" with it.

    Hope this helps. For a mix of XC and trail and even some light AM stuff since you have 130mm of travel and such a stiff front end you will be golden on this bike. By the way...I'm mad short at 5'7" and have never ridden a 29er that I didn't feel goofy on. The "S" geometry felt great. Felt as if I was on a 26" bike but getting the benefits of 29" wheels.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by TJM0031
    The front derailleur is an immediate swap out part in my opinion. They spec'd a 9 speed SLX FD on a 10 spd double SRAM crank???
    Speshy has already addressed this - bikes are shipping now with an X7 FD and if your LBS got one with the SLX they should swap it out for free.
    Specialized Technical Bulletin on 2011 SJ FSR Expert and Comp 29er

    Thanks for the detailed review!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by wgnDrvr
    Speshy has already addressed this - bikes are shipping now with an X7 FD and if your LBS got one with the SLX they should swap it out for free.
    Specialized Technical Bulletin on 2011 SJ FSR Expert and Comp 29er

    Thanks for the detailed review!
    Sweet! Thank for the update. I missed that thread. Looks like its been hit or miss with people having problems with shifting up front. From what I've heard the X7 FDs are actually quite good this year when only having the 2 rings to deal with.

    The demo bike up at my shop was an early release and they got it right after the 2011 stuff was released. I know the guys pretty well up there and told them about it when dropping it back off covered in mud

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,380
    What settings did you like on the Reba? I have the SJ FSR Expert 29er, and I'm still trying to get the front forks dialed in. I find that I like higher pressures than what they recommend for my weight and equal + and - settings for small bump compliance, but it still doesn't feel quite perfect to me.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu
    What settings did you like on the Reba? I have the SJ FSR Expert 29er, and I'm still trying to get the front forks dialed in. I find that I like higher pressures than what they recommend for my weight and equal + and - settings for small bump compliance, but it still doesn't feel quite perfect to me.
    First and foremost I have been a Fox man. However, from what I have researched and the fact that I may possibly buy one of these rides here is what I have found:

    The air settings on the chart stuck on the fork leg are fairly accurate. I always feel and agree that they should be used as "guidelines" regardless of the fork brand. If you google around a bit about the reba you will typically find guidelines that suggest you always run the negative air chamber lower than your positive. You must look at it as the positive being the spring of the fork and more air you add in the negative chamber the more it will "weaken" the spring so to speak. As for rebound thats always a ride and tune on the trail IMHO, same goes for compression. Run as much compression as you can w/o feeling like your getting beat to death or riding a noodle fork. For you situation I would begin by leaving my positive chamber as is and reducing the negative chamber by around 5 psi and go from there. Remember your rebound is located on the bottom of the fork leg and is a red dial. Also, always make sure you fill the + chamber before filling the negative. It really is a ride and dial, ride and dial some more.... process. So be sure to stick your shock pump in your camelbak and remain patient. Good luck.

  7. #7
    DTL
    DTL is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DTL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by TJM0031
    Just had one on demo for a few days. Rode the piss out of it 2 days in a row. Took everything I threw at it and I'm just under 200 lbs so it didn't have it easy.

    As far as the RS Reba up front there is a good bit of tuning to be done. The fork is dual air despite whatever specs "S" lists on their site. There is a positive and negative chamber along with compression and rebound adjustments. The 20mm maxle axle for the fork is mad stiff however I found it making some noise here and there and I had to hop off and tighten it up a bit. The combination of that axle along with the tapered head tube provides an ultra stiff ride and I really liked and I was able to point and shoot the bike whereever and over whatever I wanted to. Riding was just down right fun. Didn't have to be precise with this thing at all. Just ride and plow over sh** like a tank. Really fun and gratifying honestly.

    The triad has never been a great shock or a terrible shock. It performed fairly well on this bike. Make sure you take the time to dial in and get your air pressures right and sag correct. Otherwise you will bang some pedals. The propedal feature does help on this bike and it climbed like a goat. I even ran the shock open for about half of one my rides and climbing was still great and I didn't notice alot of bob. You are kinda stuck with the triad as "S" uses their own shock lengths. However, do some research for PUSH industries. You can seen that puppy off and have it custom tuned and rebuilt time and time again to your specs and how you ride. I think they are also going to start offering Rockshox rear shock products for "S" bikes in their custome lengths. I would hope this would lead to FOX products down the road as well.

    Despite what some say about jumping 29ers this thing will get airborne. I tossed it a few times and it responded great. I even landed it hard on the nose one good time and it remained stable and steering tracked well thruout my flight and landing.

    The weak points I found on this rig where the stock wheelset. No surprises here as "S" still chooses to spec on champion non butted spokes on the wheels.
    The 20mm maxle having to be tightened and making some noise...once again most of this was probably the cheapo wheelset flex.
    The front derailleur is an immediate swap out part in my opinion. They spec'd a 9 speed SLX FD on a 10 spd double SRAM crank??? Just doesn't work. I rode w/o a granny ring for the weekend. Could I have tuned the drivetrain myself? Yes...would have took 5 minutes but it wasn't my bike so didn't want to "mess" with it.

    Hope this helps. For a mix of XC and trail and even some light AM stuff since you have 130mm of travel and such a stiff front end you will be golden on this bike. By the way...I'm mad short at 5'7" and have never ridden a 29er that I didn't feel goofy on. The "S" geometry felt great. Felt as if I was on a 26" bike but getting the benefits of 29" wheels.
    Thanks for the input. I'm trying to decide between the FSR 29er comp and Epic 29er comp for XC/Trail riding.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •