mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Another question on creaking... lube for 2008 FSR pivots

Hello all,

After about 10 miles into riding my new Pitch Pro (which is great) the rear suspension starting making a 'ticking' noise that over the next 20 miles became a creak.

Taking it back to my LBS they fixed it, saying they greased the pivots and tightened the bolts. Strange thing was it smelled of WD40 and had a sheen of lube that had run down the seat post tube. Now I'm wondering if they took a shortcut - and if its a problem if they did.

I always thought you shouldn't use a light lube like WD40 because it stripped out the grease - is that the case for the sealed bearings in the pivots? If so, what should they be lubed with, if at all? All the FAQs on the Specialized website are for old FSRs with bushes where they say to use motor oil.

By the way, creak seems to have gone except when compressing the suspension with bike ridden leaned over left or right. Is this normal?

Thanks all, James.

backwoods and backwards
    My tech says a drop of triflow on the pivots, especially if there's been a lot of wet weather, does the trick. You're right about WD40, it's more of a solvent than a lube. Maybe the shop just used it to clean up some excess lube after the job?
    Moonbeam's compost-powered hybrid generates a respectable 32 fruit flies per rotting banana peel.

mtbr member
    tighten all of your pivots. the thing that will make your pivots crak the most are loose pivots....especially the main pivot on the frame....also tighten all the bolts on the rocker arm also..those creak too