mtbr member

angle set headset for SXT and S-W Enduro

hey there!

I'm playing with an idea in my mind of changing HT angle on my bikes.

I have 2009 SX Trail II and 2011 S-Works Enduro.
    SXT has 66° and Enduro has 66,5° HT angle.
    was thinking of trying 65°/64,5° for SXT and 66°/65,5° for Enduro.

I really like the handling of SXT at 66°, something I have to say I miss on carbon Enduro. was thinking of turning SXT to a real mini DH machine and Enduro to proper enduro monster.

what do you, fellow bikers think about that, has anyone of you ever tried something like this?

and if anybody knows; what policy Spesh has about anglesets regarding warranty.

thanx!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    At least the the Enduro uses Campy-Style headsets. As far as I know, there is no angleset for this kind of headtube.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mantra View Post
    At least the the Enduro uses Campy-Style headsets. As far as I know, there is no angleset for this kind of headtube.
    yeah, was wandering what that actually means. I don't know nothing about that campy style headset. if anyone can elaborate on that, I'd be grateful.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Campy Style is an IS-(Integrated) headset, featuring bearings that fit directly into a bonded or machined interface that is integrated into the frame.

This means that there are no cups involved. Ergo...nothing there what could give you any kind of angle...

Your only chance is to try offset bushings for the shock, but on the 2011 Enduro, you could only use them on one (upper) side.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mantra View Post
    Campy Style is an IS-(Integrated) headset, featuring bearings that fit directly into a bonded or machined interface that is integrated into the frame.

This means that there are no cups involved. Ergo...nothing there what could give you any kind of angle...

Your only chance is to try offset bushings for the shock, but on the 2011 Enduro, you could only use them on one (upper) side.
    hey mantra.
    thanx buddy!

I was reading on the net what I can find on the subject, but you put all that in, in just few comprehensible paragraphs.

can you please provide more info on those offset bushings please - what should I use if I'd wanted to make 1,5° change, let's say (if that's even possible).

sorry for my noobness...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    short on time....

you find information here: Burgtec Titanium Offset Shock Hardware | Burgtec

but consider that you can use only one. that means you will gain only half of the angle!

also use google image search for better understanding where these thing belong and what they can do.

1.5° is impossible. maybe 0.5° in your case. bb goes down also!

mtbr member
    ok, got it. kind of figured BB's gonna move as well...
    Stumpy is even lower than Enduro (at least evo's) regarding BB, so I think I'm gonna be ok.

is that going to make difference to the travel as well?

Burgtec site says it moves HA between 1° and 1,5° - and it says only Pitch from the Spesh stable has a kit from them. have to send them an e-mail.
    thanx again

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    1° to 1.5° is for bikes where you can use 2 offset bushings. This should be possible on your SXT, but not on the Enduro. On the Enduro you can use such a bushing only on one (upper) side of the damper. Ergo...you will get only half of the angle.
    Since the Enduro uses an 8mm bolt on the upper mount, the achiveable angle change is not verry much. My guess would be 0.5° at most.

Travel dosenīt change due to the use of offset bushings.

Change in BB hight wonīt be much with the use of only one bushing.

I owend a 2011 Enduro and now ride a 2012 Stumpy Evo and since the 2010-2012 Enduros tend to sit verry low in travel, the effective BB hight is not far away from that on a Stumpy Evo.

mtbr member
    ok, that was pretty helpful, thanx.

why can't I put OB on lower mount (or whatever it's called)? is there an adapter or something I can put there to help me put OB there? (mega-noob question, I know, sorry )

still, if nothing, that half-a-degree would still be cool, it would be as on SXT (66°), which I like a lot better than 66,5° it is now.

one more thing - do you think it's better to use OB's than angleset headset to change HA?
    e.g. for SXT - which solution's better - OB's or AS?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Because the 2010-2012 Enduro uses a 1/2" bolt on the lower mount (connection between shock and shock extensions). Due to the facts that a)the inner diameter of the shock eyelet is also 1/2", there is no bushing used and b)the shock gets clamped between the extension in a specific position still leaves no room for any offset.

For sure there is also no adapter which can change that.

An AS could give you more angle than OBs. Given that the SXT also uses 8mm shock bolts, you could achive 1° with OBs, while an AS could give you 2°.
    Also Obs have more effect on BB-hight at the same amount of head angle change.
    OBs are cheaper and also much easier to install.

Btw. you also can combine both.

mtbr member
    ok, got it.

hate that proprietary designs big manufacturers use - just clogs up the options and makes life hell when in need to replace.

AS seems to be better, and more expencive. method. I think I'm gonna go with that for the SXT.

thanx a lot for this lovely conversation mantra!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hate these proprietary designs also and thats the main reason why I want to get rid of my current Stumpy. Iīm somewhat annoyed by the shock but canīt change it, so I have to change the bike....

Campy style IS headset should imo not be found on gravity bikes!

Youīre welcome and good luck!

mtbr member
    well, luckily for me, I don't ride that well so I'm not being annoyed by my shock, at least for now.

I totally agree on that campy style headset shouldn't be on gravity bikes - Enduro is a gravity bike, not DH sled, but still - and that's why I want to change HA in the first place.

I'll do what I can trying to come around that proprietary designs bs.

thanx again for all the advices mantra...