Broken

Am I one of the first to break one of these...

Am I one of the first to break an Enduro SXTrail?

Inside of left chainstay on the weld

Sorry for the blurry pics....what sucks is that I was having a great ride.

LBS is on the case...
    It sucks when you've got one bike for everything

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleeke
    Am I one of the first to break an Enduro SXTrail?

LBS is on the case...
    It sucks when you've got one bike for everything
    I hope they take care of you...certainly seems that they should, and its not like its a big piee to replace. Sucks that your losing days riding though. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

-kcavt

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Found a similar crack on my 05 SX trail today. Inside of non-drive-side chainstay. Mine appears to be about halfway across the stay and looks cracked in the middle of the weld and also along one edge of the weld. This one makes 3 that I know of (from this board) that have broken in the same place. I saw and 06 Enduro today and it looks like they made the yoke thicker on the it.

Does anyone know if I have to use a Specialized dealer for warranty (it's only 4 months old) or can I take it to a bike shop of my choice?

Broken
    You need to take it to a Specialized dealer...my turn-around was 4-5 days...they called it in on Monday and I had the new chainstay on Friday morning...Specialized is great about warranties...Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well

I call up Spec Cust Svc to see what to do. I HAVE to take it to a Spec dealer and they have to remove and replace the part or I don't get warranty. And I have to pay for shipping and labor (and the going rate is $50.00 an hour). What The F----?

The dealer I bought it at is in CA--2,000 miles away so I check with a couple dealers here. I know it isn't going to be good when both ask almost immediately where I bought it at (i.e. NOT from them). Both said that the Spec Rep has to look at it first and they don't know when he'll come by. One says it could be a week or it could be a month before he looks at it--they don't know since the rep covers TX, LA, and OK and he doesn't have a set schedule. They also said that sometimes Spec will accept pictures instead of having to look at it first. The other shop (who I left the bike with) says they'll call up the rep and see when he can come look at it or what else to do. I ask them to call up Cust Svc too and they say they might but they have to talk to the rep first and see what he says to do. They did say they'll do what they can to speed up the process so at least they seem willing to try.

I'm trying to remain calm here but I've already been off the bike for a month 'cause of the POS 5th element shock. Now this--and I get to PAY FOR IT too. Yippee. I hate this bike. I shoulda bought two $1,500 bikes instead of one $3,000 one. That way I'd have spare parts and could at least ride one or the other. At least I've got my old bike as a backup.

Broken
    Blame lazy ass dealers in your area...i bought mine at a different shop than the one who took care of my warranty. If those LBS want your business they'd help you out. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Dealer called me day before yesterday. Specialized is sending a replacement stay. I hope it gets here soon--I rode the backup bike yesterday and it feels funny after not riding it for so long.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Smile

Saweeeet! Picked up the bike today (it was fixed yesterday at noon). That was some pretty fast service considering I took it in Monday afternoon--Spec must've 2-dayed the part which was killer. The new one looks to have a bit thicker yoke than the old so hopefully no more worries. I'm still kinda bummed that I had to fork over $54.00 in labor for something I could've replaced myself but at least I'm back on the bike again and a LOT sooner than I expected.