Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Aluminum Epic 2009 ?

According to Cycling News, there will not be any Epic next year in aluminum, only carbon versions. So here's my question : What will be their 2500-4000$ 100mm full suspension bikes since the FSR XC is now 120mm ?

There will be a huge hole in the range if there is only the Carbon Epics and the FSR XC.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i agree, not everyone is made of money i will just buy another brand thats all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    the epic alumium is ready
    it's all about marketing plans

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Indeed, the alum. lives on. The alum. models will go from marathon down but won't have the new spec. front shock. This was shown on this board from some czech site but the alum. models were promptly removed. I am hoping rear shock durability is better then this last model epic.

mtbr member
    The pics I have seen they are running a Sid fork. I checked the SRAM site and the Sid is only advertised at 80mm.

World Cup Travel 80mm
    Team Travel 80mm
    Race Travel 80mm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacobus
    The pics I have seen they are running a Sid fork. I checked the SRAM site and the Sid is only advertised at 80mm.

World Cup Travel 80mm
    Team Travel 80mm
    Race Travel 80mm

all (new)SID forks are both 80mm AND 100mm, changable by the use all travel spacers,or not. most non-u-turn rock shox forks are this way.

The SID team is the best 80-100mm fork ive ever rode, its very very nice. so i bought one.

what i want to know is were those 1-1/8th top 1-1/2 lower sid forks on those epics and those SJ HT experts. they sure look like it. rock shox is doing that format other longer forks so i bet it is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas

what i want to know is were those 1-1/8th top 1-1/2 lower sid forks on those epics and those SJ HT experts. they sure look like it. rock shox is doing that format other longer forks so i bet it is.
    I saved the pics from the czech article, and just checked:
    The alu model has regular heads, so has a 1-1/8 (top and bottom) sid.
    It seems that the carbon model (expert carbon) has the same sid (1-1/8 top and bottom) with some adapter in the bottom of the head.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Will you please post those pics?
    Thank you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The aluminium Epic 2009 will not be available and they will not produce them (i dont know exactely why) , this has been told by our dealer, who got message from specialized !!

mtbr member
    Although they won't be initially producing them (due to limited mini brains I think) I would expect them to start next year.
    UK-Biking Shop now live - Also follow us on Facebook and Twitter

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's weird...why would they go through the trouble of putting them together, photographing them and showing them to people as the pictures from the site indicated? If they only do carbon they are going to a. price themselves out of the market and b. lose some customers who like myself aren't sold on carbon for all situations. Lightweight wise open race rig sure. Rocky, rooty northeast singletrack that eat's rear der. for lunch not so sure. Here's hoping they do alum. like the sight showed.

K n e e m o i
    Once I saw the picture, I came up with a name, Specialized Nomacer X.
    "Prison sports are really fun. I get used as a frisbee, a dartboard, and a second base!" - Kneemoi

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drop
    The aluminium Epic 2009 will not be available and they will not produce them (i dont know exactely why) , this has been told by our dealer, who got message from specialized !!
    I think this one is aluminium
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    They showed the alu. Epic but production is canceled !

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I can't believe that Specialized would make such a bad move. I mean, no big brand would want such a big hole in its range. Even Scott will make an aluminum Spark next year. We'll know in about for sure in two months.

Please, if you claim something such as the last post, make sure you have good sources !

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    if specy will not produce them why show us?

c'est la vie

Marketing or Production?

The real question is this is a marketing decision or production issue?

If this is a marketing decision, there is no low to mid range priced full-suspension racer in their 2009 line-up. This is assuming no major price drops for carbon frames (not likely).

Specialized should be concerned with customers switching to another brand or for that matter forcing dealers to consider promoting brands outside of Specialized. How many lower priced Al versions are sold vs. the higher priced carbon?

If there are production issues forcing this decision, they need to find a vendor which can supply. In this day and age, it would be a mystery why there would be a production issue on a sure to be popular bike. Certainly, if Specialized can deliver carbon Epics they could also be fully capable of supplying AL versions.

As the Al Epic version are being shown in Europe, the speculation is that possibly Specialized will manufacture the AL version for countries other then USA. It is doubtful they would do this unless Specialized is attempting to re-position certain product lines in the USA to the higher-end of the bike spectrum.

The hope is if indeed this is a marketing decision, Specialized will reconsider and offer the Al version for 2009.

Huh?
    The true thing is carbon is getting cheaper and cheaper by the year. I wouldn't be surprised to see a carbon epic for under 2500.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    yeah, i wouldn't be suprised if there is a different "quality" carbon much like the Tarmac line that gives a range of price down to 1950.

Carbon is the new Aluminum, my bet on next material is Carbon/Kevlar Fibre.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    News and posts on a forum like this are most likely going to be ahead of what Spesh dealers know simply because of the world wide resources available, news and leaks etc

It's the same for a lot of things these days; cameras, computer hardware, cars etc where the WWW is great for new information.

This is a case in point - The official line from Spesh is that only Carbon Epicís will be available but clearly a range of alu Epics exist.

just ride
    Your dealer is on crack. There have been no messages from Specialized pertaining to this, and if you call dealer services, they will tell you there are alloy models.
    MTBR Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles
    Ride: www.chequamegon100.com

mtbr member
    Some more aspect you need to take into consideration:
    Thermal Resistance: carbon fiber does degrade quicker as temperature gets hotter.
    Water absorption: unless it's a really top quality carbon with good sealant resin, CF will absorb water and degrade in performance.
    Oxidation: carbon fiber oxidize and looses strength as it oxidize. The oxidation level is quite low at room temperature but increases with temperature and also chemical contaminant
    Durability. CF will not have durability in time as you have with Aluminum. So be mindful as your product will not be as good in 10 years with CF as it is in Aluminum. Also failure with CF is much more difficult to predict. CF will shatter when crack initiate from a minimal defect or chip.

I think the move to carbon is two fold. Lower production & raw material cost for the manufacturer. Light weight performance for the customer, at least for 10 years.
    (Thankfully Specialized has a lifetime warranty on their frames)

This is what is needed for bicycles:
    US Patent 4731298 - Carbon fiber-reinforced light metal composites
    1. Field of the Invention
    This invention relates to carbon fiber-reinforced light metal composites,
    i.e. carbon fibers bound with aluminum or aluminum alloy (hereinafter
    referred to collectively as "aluminum metal") or magnesium or magnesium
    alloy (hereinafter referred to collectively as "magnesium metal).

This is not exogrid. This is Carbon fiber modeled with molten metal, not epoxy (plastic).

mtbr member
    Just thought I'd let everyone know, I talked to our rep today and the new version of the aluminum Epic will not be available for 2009. The comp, rim, and expert aluminum bikes will all have the same paint scheme as 08'. The new carbon Epics will be available around November.
    - KERSH -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kersh13
    Just thought I'd let everyone know, I talked to our rep today and the new version of the aluminum Epic will not be available for 2009. The comp, rim, and expert aluminum bikes will all have the same paint scheme as 08'. The new carbon Epics will be available around November.

dont bother, i said the same thing (after i also talked to our rep) on another thread here and some DB who knows everything told me how wrong i was and how some person in europe thinks this and blah blah blah........ the interweb has spoken Kersh13, who are we as specialized dealers to set things straight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast