Tire Geek O_o

New question here. Aluminum Demo 8 frame owners - I got a question

Hi guys, I love the demo, but since it seems rather impossible to get a carbon demo frame, which at the moment seems like the only solution to avoid the fox 40 and aluminum version demos problems.

Is anyone sucessfully riding an aluminum Demo (2011/12/13/14) with a Fox40? what have you guys done to avoid the fork crowns damaging your frame.

I have tried the Chris King, Cane Creek, and Across External Cups and well.... they dont solve it at all the crown still hits the frame.

I have not been able to find clear and useful information on this and Specialized tech support, only said this: "Specialized has spacers available to help out with that. You can order them through any local Specialized dealer. Happy riding!"

Can anyone give me a useful clue, or solution?

I´d appreciate it much!!!
    http://32spokesmtb.com - Promoting MTB & cycling from Mexico to the World!

mtbr member
    The "spacers" that they are referring to is actually a taller crown race.It gives about 4-6mm of clearance so the lower crown doesn't contact the headtube. 2014(maybe 2013 not sure) Fox 40s have a redesigned lower crown that prevents head tube contact. As far as stanchion bumpers go I think the one ODI makes might prevent the lower crown contacting the head tube. And as far as carbon demos being unattainable, 2013 sworks frames and the demo 8 I carbon are priced way below original msrp due to overstock. Just ask your Specialized dealer the next time you are in the shop.

Tire Geek O_o
    Sugar_brad, thanks for the response, I haven really found any useful information in quite a while, you just answered my long unanswered question.

I know the carbon demos dont have this issue. And many people did recommend external Cups, we tried the Cane Creeks, Chris Kings, and the Across but still the 2013 40 stilll hit the frame, nobody ever mentioned that adapter ring from Specialized. That would have solved the issue.

I will update our Demo8 review with your information!

Sadly being located in México it isn´t easy to get many things, and Specialized distributors here are only allowed to sell the complete carbon Demo, as for frame they are only allowed to sell the black matte alu frame.

Thanks a lot for the info you gave me!

mtbr member
    No problem, I will try to get a part number for you if that helps.

Tire Geek O_o
    Thanks Brad, I got this part number from Specialized, S112300097. Dont know how good your spanish is but I paste you here the link to the second part of our Demo review:
    32 Spokes MTB México » 2012 Specialized Demo 8 Parte 2

You work in a bike shop by any means?

mtbr member
    The race spacer at the bottom is definitely what you are looking for.Another solution is to run a normal lower headset cup instead of a zero stack like you have pictured in the article. I am a full time mechanic and we sell Specialized and Trek.

Tire Geek O_o
    Yeah I think, the bottom spacer is required no matter what external cup you are using. we tried the Cane Creeks, the Acros ECs and the Chris Kings (all of them without the spacer) and the crowns hit.

We ended up fed up by it and sold the Demo. I personally love the looks of it, but there is something odd about it, we never got confortable in the bike, perhaps the size, since the top tube is short and we felt cramped in the bike.