mtbr member

(Almost) No more E150 fork on Enduro SL

I had a chance yesterday to look at the 2009 dealer book.The E150 has all but disappeared from the Enduro SL lineup. There is only a seemingly token, S-Works model with that fork. Otherwise, from the Pro Carbon model on down, the E150 is gone.

I am flat-out astounded. The E150 is the defining characteristic of the Enduro SL -- the "raison d'Ítre" for the entire bike. Without an E150, is it even really an Enduro SL anymore? Not in my mind. Now the bike is just a Pitch with a slightly better frame.

What happened?

Is it the cost? I did note that pricing on the Enduro SL line took a big leap from 2007 to 2008. With the falling dollar, I'm sure we're due for another big leap in cost in 2009. Did the E150 just become too expensive for mere mortals to afford?

(I will say that, had I not bought my SL in 2007, that I would have been totally priced out of the market in 2008).

Or is Specialized giving up on their fork? Is the S-Works model nothing more than a token, to avoid having to admit total defeat?

Neither of the above alternatives is pleasant to contemplate. I've grown to like the E150.

Specialized's rear-shock, at least, is prevalent across their line. That would suggest that Specialized isn't giving up on their own suspension program. But the almost-complete retraction of their E150 fork sure did leave me with my jaw dropping yesterday.

JSQ
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Specialized have decided to sort out the problems of the E150 fork and to do so they needed to take some time out. Expect to see the E150 on all Enduro SL's in 2010. Since it's only specced on the S-Works model in -09, the quantities produced are much smaller and therefore the quality of the forks will be consistent (better). I think this is good and the Enduro of 2010 will surely again be a great bike, although so is the -09 line too in my opinion.

mtbr member
    I'm glad they're not giving up on the E150.

I've been pretty happy with mine, knock on wood and all that. Sometimes I worry that I might be missing out, because maybe I'm too clueless to realize what the fork really could do versus what it is doing for me.

I think my favorite aspect of that fork is how stiff it makes the front-end. In that aspect, the fork was quite an eye-opener. I tend to ride my 29er more these days, but the SL is still my benchmark for front-end stiffness. None of my other bikes approach it.

mtbr member

You might find this to be of relevant interest...........

I have sent Mick McAndrews an email regarding this subject, which may be of interest

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...20666#poststop

Lend me £20.00 and I'll buy you a drink!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I was going to hold out for the 2009 Enduro but Iím so glad I got my 08 Pro Carbon in April. I love the E150 fork and I couldnít justify spending £4000+ ($7950) for the S-works to get it.

In the UK the 2008 Enduroís are the same cost as 2007 models.