Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

All mountainfy a stumpy

i was thinking about doing some upgrades to my stumpy and was wondering if they were going to be a waste of time.

I've been going bigger and harder on my rides and I'm starting to wonder about some of my parts (IE my rims when I do 5 foot drops). So, when I go to upgrade this components, should I be looking more towards the future, should I be looking at getting a 20mm front hub that I can convert to use with my 9mmQR fork until I decide to convert the bike to 140mm front fork with a 20mm thru axle?

Just curious if its worth the investment, or if I should start looking at going to something a little more AM
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    The tru-axle and a wider rim profile are nice no matter how you ride. Front end tracking is soo much better thru rocks and roots.
    I've switched my 2009 SJ Comp to a RS Rev. Team Fork set at 130mm w/20mm axle.
    Rims are Easton Havoc about (1900grams for the set).
    Stock 420sl are garbage, mine front rim folded on a XC trail railing a rough bermed corner, the rear rim kept breaking spokes and wouldn't stay true. The only thing the 420s have is a fairly light weight.

I can smash knarly single track way harder with the stiff wide rims, and the more capable fork. My last upgrade will be a custom Push Monarch air shock on the back.

5 foot drops are too big for a stumpy, unless there is a nice tranny. The stumpy can be a pretty hardcore trail bike setup right, but will never be a drop machine. You will just break stuff. Go for the Enduro for mild drops 2-4 ft, and the SX trail if you are more into hucking 5 footers.

mtbr member
    wider bars and shorter stem will help a lot, too.
    nothing witty here...

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by joshdurston
    The tru-axle and a wider rim profile are nice no matter how you ride. Front end tracking is soo much better thru rocks and roots.
    I've switched my 2009 SJ Comp to a RS Rev. Team Fork set at 130mm w/20mm axle.
    Rims are Easton Havoc about (1900grams for the set).
    Stock 420sl are garbage, mine front rim folded on a XC trail railing a rough bermed corner, the rear rim kept breaking spokes and wouldn't stay true. The only thing the 420s have is a fairly light weight.

I can smash knarly single track way harder with the stiff wide rims, and the more capable fork. My last upgrade will be a custom Push Monarch air shock on the back.

5 foot drops are too big for a stumpy, unless there is a nice tranny. The stumpy can be a pretty hardcore trail bike setup right, but will never be a drop machine. You will just break stuff. Go for the Enduro for mild drops 2-4 ft, and the SX trail if you are more into hucking 5 footers.
    Hey, my 420sl folded also! What the hell is with the 28 spoke wheels specialized.

mtbr member
    Agreed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    Hey, my 420sl folded also! What the hell is with the 28 spoke wheels specialized.
    IMHO the 28 spoke rim is just to make the showroom floor weight come under 28lbs. Standard 28 spoke rims have no place on a trail bike, neither should any fork but a 15mm/20mm thru axle fork. That 28 hole rim should be reserved for the Epic. The stumpy done right as an aggressive trailbike will weigh in the 28lb range.

I do run Easton Havocs with a reduced spoke count, but the spoke tension is high from the factory and the rim is way more burly than the 420sl.

Anyone want to buy a specialized stout 28hole hub and DT RWS axle?

mtbr member
    Which fork do you have? If it's the 120RL, you can easily convert it to 140mm.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie33
    Which fork do you have? If it's the 120RL, you can easily convert it to 140mm.
    From what I've read the F120RL damper is does not extend to 140mm like a standard Float 120 would. This is one of the ways that fox saves weight on the F series versus the Float series.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The upgrades that I was thinking about were

1) Upgrade wheels, something like the azonic outlaws
    2) to get something like a magura thor fork (would happen with wheels), I think that switching to a thru axle would help a lot.
    3) RP23 when the triad pops
    4) Maybe the bars and stem to, I like the geometry that I have now, I just gotta remember to drop my seat when I get technical since the bike is longer than what I am used to.

When I've done bigger drops I've never actually bottomed out the bike, I'm pretty smooth on the landings, but big drops are few and far between, the bike is primarily used for trails, just every now and then I do a drop and on the way down I start to worry about the wheels mainly.

I just wanted to make sure that the frame is up to snuff before I upgrade, otherwise I'd look at dumping the bike and picking up something like a used slayer, but since I road mainly in OK that seems like it'd be overkill for everything other than a few trails in the NE area and parts of Arkansas.

bikeboatbrewski
    My 2010 Elite Stumpy is my dedicated XC/Trail machine. For AM riding and mild hucking I got myself a Cdale Moto4. Any upgrade of the wheels will be worth it, while I have not had the issues others have had with the DT 420sl wheels I am building a set of WTB 650B lazerdisc hoops to some CK hubs. The wheels seem to be where Spec scrimps to keep down price.

Keep the Stumpy and use it for what its made to do and get a deal off season on an AM/FR bike for hammer time.

mtbr member
    From what I've read the F120RL damper is does not extend to 140mm like a standard Float 120 would. This is one of the ways that fox saves weight on the F series versus the Float series.

Yes, that is correct. Thanks for pointing that out. I forget to say Float 120RL which is what I have on my Stumpy comp. This mod only works with the Float series.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    How does the float behave as a 140mm shock?

namagomi
    IMHO the 28 spoke rim is just to make the showroom floor weight come under 28lbs. Standard 28 spoke rims have no place on a trail bike, neither should any fork but a 15mm/20mm thru axle fork. That 28 hole rim should be reserved for the Epic. The stumpy done right as an aggressive trailbike will weigh in the 28lb range.

I do run Easton Havocs with a reduced spoke count, but the spoke tension is high from the factory and the rim is way more burly than the 420sl.

Anyone want to buy a specialized stout 28hole hub and DT RWS axle?
    Haha, yes.. i'm staying with the 9mm for now (32h and ex500s) - i didn't want to upgrade the fork.. but i didn't bother to relace the 28hole stout hub... better for some total XC guy.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by schlockinz
    How does the float behave as a 140mm shock?
    Probably with a bit more flex than at 120mm... the floats are generally well behaved.

If you're going to really get into all-mountain, just sell the stumpy and get an enduro or something stronger. Unless you're a 100lb kid, you'll break it, even then you'll still break it... the triad shock is going to be over-leveraged also, it's only 1.75" to the 2.25" of the enduro (comparing 2008 years)

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Probably with a bit more flex than at 120mm... the floats are generally well behaved.

If you're going to really get into all-mountain, just sell the stumpy and get an enduro or something stronger. Unless you're a 100lb kid, you'll break it, even then you'll still break it... the triad shock is going to be over-leveraged also, it's only 1.75" to the 2.25" of the enduro (comparing 2008 years)
    If I were to push the front fork to 140mm I'd replace the triad with a rp23.

I thought about getting a new bike, but it looks like resale on the stumpy is gonna be crap, I don't want to take that big of a hit, so I thought that I'd upgrade this ride and watch out for a good frame.

I've ridden an enduro and I hated it, too slow, didn't really like the geometry. I like the stumpy for its lightness and flickability, it descends really well and has handled everything that I've thrown at it, but if I had to do it again I think that something like a reign, reign X, slayer, covert or something along those lines would be better suited for my style.

Plus, the bike selection in this state is rather limited in that aspect. Most shops don't stock beyond trail bikes so getting out and riding another bike is something that I can't really do, the most all mountain bike that I've test ridden was the reign.

EDIT: I'm thinking that I could get maybe a $1000 for this bike (still in good condition). So, for a $500 loss, I'm not sure that its worth it w/ 1.5yrs of riding it.
    Last edited by schlockinz; 10-28-2010 at 01:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Actually, it looks like I can pic up something like an Iron Horse 6.6 fairly cheap, although I'd probably not be able to do epic rides with it...

mtbr member
    If you can get $1,000 for your Stumpjumper, you could always get a brand new Pitch Comp for not much more. The Pitch sounds more in line with what you're looking for. Specialized is blowing out their 2010 models. As of 10-23-10 you could get a new 2010 Pitch Comp for $1,170. (http://www.jacksbikes.com/contents/en-us/d1419.html). I had my lbs match these prices last year and order me a Pitch Comp at this time a year ago when Specialized was blowing out the 2009 models ( I paid $1,170 last year). btw I have an 06 SJ FSR Pro with the Brain Shock and the Pitch isn't much slower on the XC trails but its much more fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All mountainfy a stumpy-prices.jpg  

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by mimtnbiker
    If you can get $1,000 for your Stumpjumper, you could always get a brand new Pitch Comp for not much more. The Pitch sounds more in line with what you're looking for. Specialized is blowing out their 2010 models. As of 10-23-10 you could get a new 2010 Pitch Comp for $1,170. (http://www.jacksbikes.com/contents/en-us/d1419.html). I had my lbs match these prices last year and order me a Pitch Comp at this time a year ago when Specialized was blowing out the 2009 models ( I paid $1,170 last year). btw I have an 06 SJ FSR Pro with the Brain Shock and the Pitch isn't much slower on the XC trails but its much more fun.
    The pitch has a longer wheelbase than the enduro, so it's not great for singletrack and considering the OP wants a "snappy" feel.. I would say to stay away. I've heard if you get a smaller size it works out ok, but that is going to depend where you fall withing the sizings

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I love my Enduro over the Epic I had. It climbs very well too. I would highly recommend trading up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Looks like the ironhorse 6.6 can be had fairly inexpensively, might look into one of them, about 4-5lbs heavier than I want, but I might be able to live with it...

Stray Bullet
    The pitch has a longer wheelbase than the enduro, so it's not great for singletrack and considering the OP wants a "snappy" feel.. I would say to stay away. I've heard if you get a smaller size it works out ok, but that is going to depend where you fall withing the sizings
    For a medium the Pitch wheelbase is 8mm longer than the Enduro, that is nothing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    This is what I did with my 08 Stumpy...the wheelset was a gift from my wife, so I had to get a new fork, as well. I love the Pike!!! I only use it in the 140mm setting and I love the slack head-angle! As I was only using the middle ring, I went to a 1x9 set up, and after trying different set ups, I got the G2 Mini-great relief after fighting chain drops.
    I don't know how I should classify the riding I do: for some is AM for others is XC I don't think I ever did a 5 foot drop to flat...but the terrain here (NY/NJ) is rocky and pretty technical and I don't have to worry about anything with this set up. The usual jumps and drops found on the trails here are super-fine! I am light (155 lbs) and the bike is about 31lbs with WTB Stout tires which are about 2lbs each. However, I do not think I will ever be able to destroy this frame! Others maybe, but not me. This is why it depends a lot how far you want to push it!
    The last thing I am thinking to change is the shock. Those new Monarchs from Push look pretty interesting, but I would like to hear what others have to say about them, first. To be honest I didn't care too much about the Triad as it did its job just fine, but I am curious to experiment!
    Good luck and happy riding!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All mountainfy a stumpy-imgp0261.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    nice drivetrain setup you got there... I'm thinking about doing a 1x9 setup on my stumpjumper also but im still undecided as I used the granny sometimes too... but i love how you bike looks! good job bro!

I only use the brake, so I can accelerate all over again...
    ..:: www.THELOBBY09.com ::..

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    For a medium the Pitch wheelbase is 8mm longer than the Enduro, that is nothing.
    Oh yeah, it used to be more. I am speaking about the older Enduro, 2008.

That sorta sucks for the singletrack if the Enduro wheel-base got longer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Whilst I wait for my 2011 Scott Voltage FR10 to arrive I have been doing some "more adventurous" riding on my 2007 stumpy FSR comp. I put Sticky Maxxis tyres, thick inner tubes, an E-13 bashguard, chopped the seatpost, 80mm stem and wider Easton EA70 bars, and DMR V12 pedals, and it has been remarkably good for 4x, jumps, mini-DH (but not full on downhill). As long as your smooth it can take a fair bit it seems, the only problems so far are the crank arm and the shock link bolt coming loose.
    Here are some pics (hopefully):

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast