mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Smile All Mountain Hardtail Fans?

I keep pondering the idea of getting an all mountain steel hardtail. Im thinking about the Transition TransAM or a Chromag. I rode a hardtail for years and just want to try something different from my FSR Stumpy.

However, it would be nice if Specialized jumped into this arena. There would be a cult following.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I've built my Rockhopper up from an XC hardtail to a Trail/All Mountain hardtail. Still some work to do, but I'm liking the results so far. Should be getting in some new brakes today!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All Mountain Hardtail Fans?-img_0001.jpg  

All Mountain Hardtail Fans?-img_0008.jpg  

All Mountain Hardtail Fans?-img_0028.jpg  

All Mountain Hardtail Fans?-img_0011.jpg  

All Mountain Hardtail Fans?-img_0003.jpg  

All Mountain Hardtail Fans?-img_0004.jpg  

All Mountain Hardtail Fans?-img_0021.jpg  

All Mountain Hardtail Fans?-img_0007.jpg  

All Mountain Hardtail Fans?-img_0006.jpg  

All Mountain Hardtail Fans?-img_0031.jpg  

Last edited by mmckechnie; 12-06-2012 at 04:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Sweet bike. What is the travel on that? Looks like a 120mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm thinking about getting a Kona Honzo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I agree, it would be good for Spesh to do a more hard hitting ht.

I have a steel ht with 120mm forks, 180 rotor, short stem, etc but it isn't from the big S. (its a UK specific Kona)

A few years ago I visited a mtb centre which had a pump track, dirt jumps and small downhill course. My son was too young to ride there at the time but was blown away by all the young guys on modded Hardrock's. They had wide bars, short stem, dj forks and looked cool. I got him his own Hardrock now but they have toned them down (the frame build) I believe. Still we have gone for wider bars, beefy tyres and big platform pedals and it looks the part and rides well for the money.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    Sweet bike. What is the travel on that? Looks like a 120mm.
    Yeah it's a 2010 Rockhopper with a 120mm RockShox SID on it. I'll post more pictures when I get home. Sorta saw the thread as I was heading out the door, but wanted to get a few pictures up.

Here are some of the specs:
    2010 Rockhopper Comp Disc Frame, Medium, 26 inch, Brown/Black/Gold
    2011 RockShox SID RLT Ti, 120mm travel, 15mm Maxle, PushLoc
    Shimano SLX Crankset, 22-36-Bash
    Shimano M520 SPD Pedals
    Specialized Purgatory Control FEA 2.3 Front
    Specialized Ground Control FEA 2.3 Rear
    Easton Havoc Alloy Bar, 750mm wide
    Easton Havoc Stem, 50mm long
    Specialized Enduro XL Lock-On Grips

Arriving today are Avid Elixir 3 brakes, 180mm HS1 front rotor, 160mm HS1 back rotor. Got a whole bunch more planned for next Spring and Summer.

mtbr member
    That is the point of the Stump Evo HT. Meatier tires, 1x10, larger front rotor, longer travel fork.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The Stumpy Evo HT only has 100mm of travel and doesn't even sport a 142x12 rear axle or a 15mm TA for the fork. The Trek Stache is more trail/all mountain than the Stumpy ht evo.

mtbr member
    I was in the same position Chromag or a Trans Am. The Trans Am is pretty heavy close to 7 pounds for the frame and the Chromag did not have a taper head tube or SS dropouts. So I ended up with a 2013 Santa Cruz Chameleon. 4lbs, taper with SS dropouts with a 150mm fork the angles are the same as my stumpy evo. There's a video of Peaty and ratboy slaying trails on it.

Nice Rockhop by the way maybe spec can do a EVO version.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I checked out the Chameleon sweet bike however it has an aluminum frame. Yes its lighter, but in my experience with road bikes steel is much better at absorbing chatter/bumps than aluminum.

eBiker
    I checked out the Chameleon sweet bike however it has an aluminum frame. Yes its lighter, but in my experience with road bikes steel is much better at absorbing chatter/bumps than aluminum.
    Steel is real because it flexes.

I tried it on an AM HT and moved on. To be strong enough for full on AM & dial down the flex, a steel HT gets very heavy.

I now use tires, grips, saddle & undersized seatpost (27.2) to soak up the chatter and run an aluminum frame with minimal buzzing difference, but a lot of stiffness difference.

@mmckechnie; great build up!

P

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The Stumpy Evo HT only has 100mm of travel and doesn't even sport a 142x12 rear axle or a 15mm TA for the fork. The Trek Stache is more trail/all mountain than the Stumpy ht evo.
    The 2013 Evo has a 142x12 axle but no 15mm front. What gives on the front 9mm fork. Its like they had a good idea but didnt follow through. I still want to see the bike in person. Probably dropping the Fuel EX8 for a trail 29er HT. I wonder what the weight is on a 17.5 bike? I was looking at the Stache 8 and it came in at 27lbs but that was for a 21" frame. Too big for me but gives me an idea on weight.

Specialized Bicycle Components
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If you look at why they use a 9mm thru axle vs the 15mm you can see they use the OS end caps to stiffen up the front end. I don't have a reference but it was said the DT 9mm RWS with OS end caps was as stiff as a 15mm thru.

I love my EVO HT, it just killed me up in PA b/c trails were so rough, now being in FL the EVO HT and stumpy FSR combo is awesome.

If you were really looking for a a more AM EVO HT throw a 120 on the front to slacken it out a bit and to get the extra travel. Everything else on the bike is geared towards AM. Wide bars, aggressive tires, larger rotors, and for 2013 the 142 rear.

A 17.5 stumpy EVO is 25lbs. At one point I was running mine with Crests, Maxxis Icons, XX cassette, carbon bars/post and was at 23.5.
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I did not catch / understand the OS end cap thing. Thanks for explaining it. 25lbs is light. Most of my trails are fairly smooth but one has alot of roots. Almost everyone here has a 29er HT XC bikes.

Anyone know if Specialized will be at the bike expo in Atlanta end of Feb? I would like to ride the evo compared to the Stache 8.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

eBiker
    Specialized had an AM hardtail, but they dropped it. Or it was turned into the P.Series. Not the greatest spec, but there it is. No cult following...

2010 Specialized All Mountain

Here is the 2013 P.Street, similar spec. This is a great bike for teens as it is very versatile (XC, jump, FR, etc)

P

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    Specialized had an AM hardtail, but they dropped it. Or it was turned into the P.Series. Not the greatest spec, but there it is. No cult following...

2010 Specialized All Mountain

Here is the 2013 P.Street, similar spec. This is a great bike for teens as it is very versatile (XC, jump, FR, etc)

P
    And the used to have a Rockhopper All Mountain back in 2006