Thread: Alias saddle

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Alias saddle

Hey peeps,

Has anyone used the Alias saddle on a mountain bike? I keep reading they are primarily a road saddle but I got a good deal on one at the LBS and I sorely need a saddle ;-)

I broke a rail on my stock Hardrock saddle which I actually liked a lot but realize it's more of a rec/entry level saddle. I do want something a bit more performance and I do want something that won't snap on me. Does anyone have any experience running this saddle on their mtb? I just don't want to cough up the 100 bucks for the Phenom; I got the Alias for 59 bucks out the door.

I'm 195 with gear and ride primarily cross country, no big hits. Rock gardens & log jumps for me.
    Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    I used the Alias for about a few months a couple of years back. Bought it at my LBS...sold it on ebay while it was still in very good condition. It was fairly light and looked great but was just too much on the uncomfortable side. Eventually got the first Phenom chromoly and have used it since. Now I have the new Phenom Expert with Ti rails and it's more comfortable than the previous and I'm really happy with this upgrade.

I think the stuff that connects you to your bike (handlebar, grips, saddle, pedals) are really personal. You must see what works for you. The Alias is usually $100+ and since you already got the Alias at such a great price, just ride it and see how it goes.

mtbr member
    I did, and I'm heavier than you (I think I was 245 at the time). The saddle was fine, but it was poorly fitted to me. I've been riding Specialized saddles for at least 10 years, and I got fitted to that one some time back. They thought I rode a 130, but it was actually 155. The saddle held up great though, and now I'm waiting on my Toupe to move from my road bike to my Stumpy FSR. I think if the Toupe can hold up (and I've seen it on other's bikes) then the Alias should do great.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    OK fellows I've got the saddle installed and I was wondering if it's ok to have it set back just a bit from the middle of the markings on the rail?? I want to be stretched out as much as I can but obviously want things to stay strong.

You can see the scuffs on the seat post from where the rail broke off the old saddle and rubbed on it. I don't think that is a big issue; but I could be way wrong.

I've just ridden around the neighborhood with the Alias and I think I'm going to like it; it seems to fit me well. The saddle does flex a good bit when I press down on it with my hand...I'm assuming that is ok? Tomorrow she hits the trails.

Thanks
    hopefully the pics will post...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alias saddle-mah_0597.jpg  

Alias saddle-mah_0599.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aikendrum
    The saddle does flex a good bit when I press down on it with my hand...I'm assuming that is ok?
    That's normal for a lot of Specialized saddles. It's the flex in the saddle body which makes it comfortable when riding rather than the saddle's padding. After a few weeks riding Specialized saddles tend to break in a bit and become more comfortable than they are for the first few rides as the amount of flex in the saddle body increases. The downside is that eventually the saddle body begins to sag and needs replacing.

A good pair of padded cycling shorts will help improve comfort whilst riding too.

I had a Specialized Alias saddle for a while. I didn't find it as comfortable as the Specialized Phenom SL saddle, or the Specialized Romin SL saddle that I'm using at the moment.

It's very much personal preference what shape of saddle works for you of course.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Took a two plus hour ride on the new Alias yesterday and I gotta say, the thing is pretty stinking cumfy. I'm going to stick with her and see how long she lasts. It appears she fits well; but will she last? Time will tell.

Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Update: The alias broke on me. I snapped a rail on the trail today....interestingly the same rail and same point that my last saddle broke. I think I obviously put more weight on my right side? lol

This could be adios to a good saddle; I liked it once I got used to the rather firm perch. Now do I mess with the warranty...?