mtbr member

AFR shock issues on Epic

I'm having issues with the AFR shocks on my Epic and I'd like to know if anyone else is having these. Here's the scoop:

About 3-4 weeks after I had the bike the shock developed excessive play. There was very little resistance until it sagged into about 20% of its travel. This resulted in very clunky ride. Out of the saddle efforts felt terrible, with a bob-clunk-bob-clunk feel. In the rough the shock was harsh and clunky. The brain worked fine; I believe the issue was the spring in the shock body. I noticed this the day before a race and unfortunately had to use a test bike from my local shop for the race. Another shock was sent and installed later that week.

The new shock worked great the first ride. On my night ride last night, the 2nd ride on the new shock, the shock developed play. At first it was only a few millimeters. By the end of the 1.75 hour ride it was at about 10mm. I rode it in to work this morning and it feels terrible.

Please let me know if you've experienced this. I need to know if this is a fluke or if there are issues that will affect my future on the Epic. BTW, when it works, it's the bese XC bike I've ridden. So I really hope I can get this resolved and move on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Is this a Blown Seal in an Epic Shock?

I have a post in this older thread that may help you. This is becoming a common subject.