mtbr member

AFR on Enduro SL Length and stroke

Does anyone know the length and stroke of the AFR shock on the enduro SL...Ive seen the measurements in the manual but have heard that they are false. I have also been told that the length and stroke is actually 7.875x2.25??...is that correct...Im swapping out for a dhx air and need the right length thanx

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    ------7&15/16" ----or 7.935" eye to eye shock length , ---and 2 & 1/8th" ---or 2.125 stroke .

mtbr member
    With the influx of questions, we should get a sticky for the e150 and AFR that has a running list of specs and tuning methods/options.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18
    Does anyone know the length and stroke of the AFR shock on the enduro SL...Ive seen the measurements in the manual but have heard that they are false. I have also been told that the length and stroke is actually 7.875x2.25??...is that correct...Im swapping out for a dhx air and need the right length thanx
    Talked to a buddy of mine recently who's running an RP3 on his SL and he said length and stroke were in fact 7.875 x 2.25.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr
    ------7&15/16" ----or 7.935" eye to eye shock length , ---and 2 & 1/8th" ---or 2.125 stroke .
    Does 7.935 even exist aftermarket?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrpickels
    Does 7.935 even exist aftermarket?
    you want to get the length as close as you can , -----prefably longer --( it is easier to make the shock shorter than longer .--( you can make a shock shorter or longer ----i do this alot because you generally can not get the correct length on some bikes )

the stock air shock on the enduro , ---when assembled , is 7 & 15,/16"or 7.935 long eye to eye .

and it uses a 2.125 stroke ------this is very easy to measure.

now when you blow through the rubber bump stop at the top of the shaft in a hugh bottom out hit , you do have 1/8th " left in reserve for bottoming .

but the stroke the shock uses to get 6" of rear wheel movement through the motion ratio is 2.125

the 7.875 length is short , -----it can be made longer ----but most guys may not be able to do this depending on the shock they get.

most all the air shocks that have a 2.125 stroke will have the extra 1/8th" on heavy bottoming --------

thats why you can blow the travel "0"-ring off the shock on the enduro only sometimes ,--
    you actually moved the rear suspension 6.5 " of travel to do so .

when you get a different shock , you really need to measure and correct the length and bring it right back to where it needs to be ----.
    ( wheather you have to make it longer or shorter )

so really take the time to really measure your bike shock length and stroke .

i want to get an 8.125" length shock with an 2 7/16" stroke for mine ,-------i want to make it out of an AFR --------i really like the AFR .
    but i just have not had time .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous E
    Talked to a buddy of mine recently who's running an RP3 on his SL and he said length and stroke were in fact 7.875 x 2.25.
    Mine noticed me: 700 mm x 57 mm, changing AFR to DHX5

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiramson
    Mine noticed me: 700 mm x 57 mm, changing AFR to DHX5
    well, ------700 mm is way to long ---( its not 27" long )
    as delivered with the air sleeve negitive air all bled out -----( which is how these bikes come stock-------most of them )--

the shock is 7"15/16 long eye to eye ( or 7.935 --or 210 mm ) ------and the stroke is 2.125" long.

if you would let the air out of your bike and bottom it out and then lift it back up , and measure the stroke -----you would see that the stroke is 2.125--( or 53.95 mm ) to get the 6 " of travel

you can easily see that if you did have 2.25" of usable stroke or( 57.2 mm )
    you would hit the air sleeve badly on the mount on the frame .

this stuff is not hard to measure .

and depending on how you do or do not bleed you negitive pressure off from your air sleeve------you can make the shock 7mm or so shorter -------which will make your usable stroke shorter ---and shorten your travel.

when you dissasemble the shock and remove the bottom out bump stop and then measure the stroke of the shock with no bottom out bump stop and air sleeve on it -----your stroke will measure 2.250 --or 2 1/4" .---
    but the bike does not use 2.25 " of stroke when in use .

mtbr member
    Thank very much Kelstr.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    As a follow up to all this, I just had the '08 AFR put on my '07 SL Pro under the "Performance Upgrade" program. Totally changes the complexion of this bike. So for anyone that hasn't yet gotten the upgrade, do so before spending money you may not need to spend on an RP23 or DHX.

The '08 shock is way more active than the '07. Having the uber-stiff '07 on there made the fork have to bear a lot more of the suspension load than it should have. Now w/ an active rear shock, the bike feels balanced and is just plain more fun to ride.

Hope this helps...