Rat Bastard!
    Jun 2006

AFR Brain with remote inertia valve...questions

I just picked up an 09 Stumpy Carbon Pro and found that the adjustment knob on the inertia valve will only turn about 3/4 turn from full firm to full soft. Is that right? I was watching the suspension setup video and the dude says that the knob should be a full turn off full firm while you're setting sag. How many turns does one of these knobs make from end to end? If it is messed up, has anyone ever serviced one of these at home or is it off to the shop?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Last edited by mcoomer; 08-26-2011 at 03:26 PM.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoomer View Post
    I just picked up an 09 Stumpy Carbon Pro and found that the adjustment knob on the inertia valve will only turn about 3/4 turn from full firm to full soft. Is that right? I was watching the suspension setup video and the dude says that the knob should be a full turn off full firm while you're setting sag. How many turns does one of these knobs make from end to end? If it is messed up, has anyone ever serviced one of these at home or is it off to the shop?
    No, that's not right. Apply a bit of CRC lube to the knob and it should free up. The knob gets grit underneath it and this limits it's movement. If that doesn't work, you'll need to visit your Specialized LBS...

Rat Bastard!
    Jun 2006
    Well, you were right about grit causing the mechanism to fail but in fixing that I've created another problem. Spraying with lube didn't correct the problem so I decided to pull the knob out and clean under it. Looking from the top there's a 2.5mm hex fastener and I assumed (ass-u-me is very relevant here) I had to remove that to get the knob off. Wrong! That's an air fitting and when I cracked it out comes the air from the valve.

Good news is that I found the knob is held in place with a snap ring. I got that out and got the knob freed up. Bad news is that I now believe that air pressure is what causes the valve to operate the shock and without it the shock is always on full squish. If anyone knows how to pressurize that valve I'd love to hear from you, otherwise, I guess I'll be calling some Specialized shops tomorrow to see if they can do something.

Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Have an Epic red knob on shock...same...grit...locked up...removed...wrong...lost some shock gas...had to send it N...they did a total rebuild for $150...damper...eyelet bushings...nitro...used fedex 3 day....seems like 120 for rebuild...30 for shipping...did see that when it was apart...the detent ball had rusted, which was really what was causing it to lock up...just need to oil it up in the future...so that won't happen again...at least U will have a peace of mind when U have it done...half to have it done sooner or later...nature of the beast..

Rat Bastard!
    Jun 2006
    Holy cow! Just called the shop and they're saying it's about a 3 week turnaround time. Good thing I've got a second bike.

Mike

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yep, 2-3 weeks turn around. But will be back in new condition again. Keep an extra shock for when it goes in. Specialized says to do this every 150 hours or once per year.

Rat Bastard!
    Jun 2006
    Shock is back. $135 and they did a full air sleeve service, installed some upgraded/revised parts, serviced the Brain, and put a nitrogen charge in it. Turn time was right at two weeks. Specialized called and asked for my weight and told me sag would be set. Put it in last night and tonight I'm gonna wring its neck. Yee haw!

Mike

Rat Bastard!
    Jun 2006
    Good new, bad news.

Good news...only had to tweak the shock a bit and was good to go. Bad news, only got to ride about 45 minutes. Good news...in that 45 minutes I only had to take a single click out of rebound. Bad news...the ride was only 45 minutes long because my dog impaled himself on a snag and is in surgery right now. Good news...chest x-ray was negative so it's only a big cutt and not a punctured lung. Bad news...the wife is PISSED, PISSED, PISSED! Vet estimate is almost $900. Looks like he'll be OK but sounds like he'll be out of action for a while. Gonna suck not riding with my buddy.

Mike