Thread: Afr 120 Forks

bitey
    Dec 2007

New question here. Afr 120 Forks

Anybody Had Any Problems With The New Afr 120 Futureshock
    Fitted To The S Works &pro Carbon Stumpy.mine Is Six Weeks Old
    And Has Gone Back To Spesh Twice With The Same Problem.
    On The Full Firm Setting The Platform Is Halfway Down The Stroke?

Mulleticious
    Bitey, hope you don't mind but I've referenced your post on the main fork problems thread - you may get more feedback from there. I am of course very interested in your case as I have the same fork. Although I'm sometimes not sure whether the Brain is kicking in and freeing it up, and the fork has felt spongy at times, with more air now (100 vs the 80 recommended) it seems OK.

I hope you get the issue resolved

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Got the S120 on a Carbon Pro. Lots of discussion about the performance of the suspension in the 'The 08 Stumpy Carbon Pro Thread!' thread.

General consensus is dissatisfaction with the fork in that it bobs too much when out of the saddle. The bob seems to be a result of oil passing through the spike valve circuit too freely, and bypassing the brass mass. This spike valve opening is set externally via the blue knob and pretty much sets the small bump sensitivity, as it governs how easily the compression damping fluid can pass through its circuit when the bump is not enough to open the brass mass flow ports. Unfortunately, it seems that this also allows the fork to compress when you're powering up a hill, almost defeating the purpose of the brain.

I haven't spoken to anyone at Specialized, but would be very interested to hear how my fork should be operating, because I don't think this amount of bob is acceptable.

bitey
    Dec 2007

Bonking ... not feelin' well afr 120

yes i agree,it seems it will only lock out on the last 2 or 3 clicks on the adjustment,
    but i would say when they are working they feel quite plush.
    if mine break again,its refund time.a top end bike like this should be fault free.
    is this bike fit for purpose?

The Other Dude
    yeah, mine has only hit the trails 3 times, and its seems like the only the first 3-4 clicks of adjustment from full firm actually do anything.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Just in case you're not following it, there is some progress being made on this issue in the '08 Stumpy Carbon Pro thread!!!'.