mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Advice on upgrading 2009 Stumpjumper FSR Pro.

So I've been riding this bike for a couple years now and enjoying it tremendously but I haven't changed a thing on it. I took a break last year and the bike really didn't see much action, and now I'm getting back into riding full steam. I'm still relatively new to parts and haven't done much wrenching myself, so wanting to upgrade some things I don't really know where to start.

I'd like to go with a tubeless setup and get a set of Mavic wheels for it. Any suggestions on which model to go with?

What else would be a worthwhile upgrade for this bike?

I'm leaning towards purchasing a 29er down the line so I don't want to spend a huge amount upgrading, but would definitely like to get a set of new wheels for it and anything else worthwhile that wouldn't cost a ton.

Thanks for any feedback.

mtbr member
    I have a 2011 stumpy expert 29er and I change pedals back-and-forth between Crank Brothers Candys (clip in) and Answer Roves (flats).
    My bike came with the Command Post seat post... but I would have added a dropper post to it even if it hadn't come with one.

How's your drivetrain and brakes? Need anything new there?

Is the 29er going to replace this bike or be an addition to it?
    If you're keeping both... are they going to be for the same trails?
    Maybe your upgrades should take this into consideration.

I have 2 29ers (my FSR and a Chumba Hx2 hardtail) and I have them set up differently for different types of trails.
    I put Stan's Arch's on my Chumba... my first bike to go tubeless... and I really like them.