mtbr member
    May 2007

Advice for a newbie

Hello-first post, and this seems like a great site.

I recently bought a Rockhopper to get back in shape. The only thing i changed was the seat. I think I need to raise my handlebars a bit, my fingertips have been numb since I started riding about a week ago. What is the best way to do this? Thanks!!

mtbr member
    You can raise your handlebars some by installing a different stem. Ask your dealer for help. Explain what problems you are having.

Look into a pair of gloves as well, if you don't have some already. I once resolved some problems I was having with tingling just by investing in a pair of good, padded bicycling gloves. Now I almost never ride without gloves.

mtbr member
    numb fingertips? maybe you're gripping the bars too tight.

Apr 2007
    Maybe a shorter stem might be the answer. If you're stretched too far over your bike, more of your weight will be placed on your hands. Shortening the stem will make you ride more upright, which will take some of that weight off of your hands and onto your legs.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ok-thanks everyone. I was able to move the seat forward about an inch. That seemed to help a little. I guess a shorter stem and some gloves is next.