mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Advice/input very much appreciated...

I have been lurking around the forums here for a while and finally decided to post....a little bit of backstory; I recently took up mountain biking because it looked like a blast and as a way to stay active on my days off when I don't hit the gym. I come from a motorcycling background and am very comfortable on two wheels so this only seemed natural. I picked up an 07 Hardrock dirt cheap on craigs to see if I enjoyed riding and it turns out I love it. I ride whenever I can. Anyway, theHardrock did its job andgave me a taste of riding and got me hooked. Itneeds a tune, tyres and a couple of other things that instead of fixing I have decided to grab a new ride.

I have narrowed it down to either a 2010 Rockhopper SL base model or a 2010 Rockhopper Expert 29er. Does anyone have any experience with these bikes personally who can give some advice. I see the main differences being a slightly different frame and shimano vs. Sram derailleurs....or am I missing something here? Thanks....I apologize for any typos, typed on my phone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    buy the 29er and don't look back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Really? ......its that definitive?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    actually stumbled on the giant talon 29er....might go with that

Fat-tired Roadie
    There are threads ad infinitum about 26" vs. 29" bikes. I thought 29ers were cool when I tried a couple, but I think it's still worth test-riding 26" bikes. Try a bunch, buy your favorite.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    agreed. TRY the bikes. Pick the one you like best, fits you best, and gives you confidence. 29er depends on you really, so try out everything in your price range. Just because a bike costs more, has slightly better components, or a larger wheel diameter doesn't mean it'll be the best/most fun bike. What matters at the end of the day is which bike leaves the biggest smile on your face. Pick that one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Actually have now narrowed it down to the following two. Test rode both today and I have to say they feel almost exactly the same, price is the same as well and both are 2011 models.

Rockhopper Comp 29er

or

Giant Talon 1 29er

I definitely noticed the extra effort required to get the 29er rolling but the bikes feel good and really do roll over obstacles a lot easier which can be accredited to the better fork as well.

At this point it is basically looks being the biggest difference, they're both good looking and components are almost the same and both have hydro discs as well which I like....its a hard call to make....since they are so similar and I like both so I have decided to wait a 2 to 3 weeks and do as much research as I can. This'll allow me to save up some extra cash to cover the purchase and maybe get the Hardrock sold.

To be honest, I am leaning more towards the Giant right now...I'm curious to see if that remains the same in a few weeks.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    You're not really stepping up much from a Hardrock to the Rockhopper(no idea about the Giant), but are geared towards recreational riding and comfort moreso than performance.

Spend a bit more and get a Stumpjumper if you're gonna upgrade.

A Rockhopper is a better bike to buy over the Hardrock initially, but its not a substantial upgrade.

Fat-tired Roadie
    The most significant differences I see is house-branded brakes on the Giant vs. the Tektro Dracos on the Specialized, and SRAM vs. Shimano shifters and rear derailleur.

See if you can find some information about the brakes - if one set is a lot better than the other, I think that would be a pretty big decision maker. Or if you like one kind of shifter a lot better than the other.

FWIW, I think getting a new mountain bike, even if it's not a huge upgrade over the Hardrock, is a good idea. It's nice to start fresh, with a bike that doesn't have anything damaged yet. (Unless the Hardrock's in good shape, in which case don't do it. )
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    The Hardrock was bought used and cheap it is not in the best of shape and anything would be a much better replacement....I am also kind of considering this guy as well

XtC 29er

just not sure if i want to spend the extra money or if it is even really worth it. not sure why im leaning towards the Giant bikes now, just liked it better than the Specialized today for some reason.