bootchman

Advice on Epic disk brakes

I am putting Juicy 5's on my 06 Epic, size M. What size rotors do I need? Can I use a 185mm and a 203mm? Those are the sizes I am receiving from ebay. If I really need 160 mm. rotors like the 07's on the Spec. site, can I just get new G2 clean sweeps 160mm, and use them with the brakes?

Please help -- obviously I'm new to the disk brake thing.

mtbr member
    You would only need the bigger rotors if you are a bit of a clyde or are downhilling, which you wouldn't want to do on an Epic... What type of riding are you talking about? Again, if you are racing, then 160's save weight..
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP

bootchman
    Thanks for the advice Tony. Makes sense. When I started the thread, I hadn't yet figured out that the brake calipers are the same, and the correct bracket mounts it at the right relationship to the rotor. Looks like I'll actually be using 160 on the rear and 185 on the front. Just the way it works out.

Since I am 60, I don't do much "challenging" mountain biking, unless my son takes me out. Mainly rails to trails, which can get a too rough here in West Virginia for my Roubaix.

mtbr member
    That's what I run on my Stumpy.... Plenty of power up front, whilst the rear is nice and light...
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Yeah..definitely get a 160 for the rear... I am pretty sure a 185 in the back would not fit because of interference with the Brain.

The size of the front rotor is only dependant on what the manufacturer allows.... when I had my Epic I used a 180mm rotor...

PS: Welcome to mtbr, bootchman!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    boothcman - crisillo is correct. 160mm is the max you could use for the rear. if you go any bigger, the rotor will rub on the carbon mount of the brain. i used to have a 203mm rotor up front and 160mm for the rear on my epic, but changed it out to 160mm for both. the bike weighs a lot lighter now that i changed to floating rotors.

welcome to mtbr!

Members who have read this thread: 0