mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Advice on 06 Stumpy Pro - Replacing XC Low Rise with Carbon Flat Bar

I was thinking of replacing the stock XC Low Rise Bar on my Stumpy with a Flat Bar in hopes that it would help keep the front end planted during steep climbs. I know I can shift position on the bike to add weight to the front end, but I was hoping to make it as comfortable as possible.

Has anyone else done this - did it effect the other handling charastics of the bike. Other than the front wheel wandering on the climbs, I love the handling.

Thanks

Dave

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    To be honest mate I can't see it making a lot of difference. I think that, as you say, you should throw your weight forward more to balance the bike. I've got an 07 Stumpy and I know what you mean, as it's a light bike and the front can bounce about a bit on the climbs. Personally I don't feel as in control of a bike if the bar is flat, yet that's only my opinion. Try locking out the shock on the climb and see if it helps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    You could also try getting a longer stem.

The Other Dude
    I tried the doing the flat bar on my 06 s works stumpy fsr, after 2 rides i went back to the riser. While it did climb just a tad better, i didnt care for the narrower width of the bar (the risers are wider allowing you to open your chest up and breathe a bit better), and i liked being in a more relaxed position for going over logs, roots, etc....But if all you are worried about is climbing, you may want to give them a try, it just wasent for me.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I kept the risers on my bike - but we put a carbon flat bar on my sons bike - and he loves it.

He is however only 13 and pretty short - so for him it fits better this way.

Either way - I don't think going from a small riser bar to a flat bar will make a huge difference in the weight over the front - would be better to just drop the travel on the fork for the long climbs.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by dsbeach
    I was thinking of replacing the stock XC Low Rise Bar on my Stumpy with a Flat Bar in hopes that it would help keep the front end planted during steep climbs. I know I can shift position on the bike to add weight to the front end, but I was hoping to make it as comfortable as possible.

Has anyone else done this - did it effect the other handling charastics of the bike. Other than the front wheel wandering on the climbs, I love the handling.

Thanks

Dave
    I changed mine to a Bontrager race x-lite bar OS (carbon). This bar is 24.4" wide and has a 5* sweep. I had a 23" carbon bar on there and that was just to narrow for me. I also put a longer stem on the bike to get the position I needed. IMO, the bike handles and climbs alot better than it did stock due the change in the overall balance of the bike.

Good luck.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

Explore More

Sweeter than Sugart

I've got an 06 base Stumpy and put an Easton EC90 flat bar on during the first round of upgrades. Myself, I've always used flat bars and found that the upsweep on the stock riser bars put extra pressure on the ouside of my hands and caused cramping.

If you like the position you ride in with the risers, you could always get some Easton Monkey Lite low-risers which would still cut about 100 grams off the weight and give some vibration reduction through the bars.

As for everyone talking about the 'light' front end and wandering problems, I just don't experience it. I've only got the base model with the Float RL without travel adjustability and I've dropped 1 1/4 lbs from the front end too! I had been riding a Fisher Sugar 2 for the last 5 years and I know the Stumpy performs better than the Sugar did on climbs. I had those issues with the Sugar, but not with the Stumpy, plus the rear suspension works better on the climbs too. Just make sure you are in proper position on the climbs, getting lower and forward on the bike. If you are sitting back and relaxing, I'm sure you could experience those problems on the climbs.

Ride On!