mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Adjustable stem question

Does anyone have a 2008 / 2009 Stumpmjumper FSR 29 that hasn't replaced the stem? If so, what is the factory shim set at? ie. +8 -16 ect. I didn't write down what mine was (which was perfect) when I had to have the fork worked on.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    +8 -16 is stock on the 2010

turtles make me hot
    I BELIEVE the one on my 08 was set at -16. It was in the lower rise setting from the factory. I tried changing it and didn't like it, so I put it back.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    For a -16 you have to flip the stem correct? In other words the -16 number would now be on the right hand side, as indicated by looking at the back of the stem opening with the indicator arrow, as you sit on the bike.; with + 8 it's on the left.

I had to take the stem of the steer tube to have the 2008 SL 29 fork repaired (common from what I hear) and removed the stem sleeve. I did not flip the stem when I put it back on the steer tube, so it must have been at + 8.

Does this make sense?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    +8 is on the right, the stem itself is angled up.

turtles make me hot
    Now I'm not sure. My stem was never upside down, I'm talking about that taper ground tubular shim on the inside. I have it to the fatter part is up if that helps.
    I just looked in the hole in the back of the stem between the bolts and on the left side, I see a +16... Maybe I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.
    I like turtles